Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Padded Hip Belt Question

Hello,

Is there any chance that there will be a padded hip belt for the Tri-Star or Aeronaut? There are times this would be a great option to have.

Quote Originally Posted by cpmorgan View Post
    Hello,

Is there any chance that there will be a padded hip belt for the Tri-Star or Aeronaut? There are times this would be a great option to have.
    According to the blog, looks like they are planning on it.
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Forum Member
    I can't wait for a padded belt for my Aeronaut!

Forum Member
    My fingers are crossed for an Aeronaut 45 hip belt by early May.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

I'm hoping for something for the Guide's Pack akin to ideas that have been posted here and the new Brain Bag one. Though given the dwindling color selections for the GP I'm wondering if it's heading for an early retirement.

Forum Member
    The Blog stated:
    The Brain Bag Padded Hip Belt is available in one size that adjusts to fits hips measuring between 33″ / 84cm and 50″ / 125cm.
    I'm wearing a Uniqlo pants size of 76-80 depends on the design. Does that mean I am most probably no luck with the BB's PHB?!
    Solar: A45 Navy, CP Black, SA Black, TT, YSS/Tall, OP/S, PP Navy
    Steel/Grey: UMP Steel 400d, PU Coyote, DLBC, FBPW, OP/L
    Olive: SC, DOP/M, COP/M

BC V S1, H M2, PCSB Nordic

Buy List Wouldn't mind : Solar Like New
    ~Live Long & Prosper by Vulcan

@weirdguy, I do not think you need to worry about the BB Hip Belt not being long enough for you.

Here are 2 pictures of the Hip Waist Strap on me:

Name:  BB Hip Belt.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  251.3 KB

Name:  BB Hip Belt Closeup.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  373.0 KB

For fun, I also tried them on an A45 and S25 and they dd work for me.

Name:  A45 Hip Belt.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  301.0 KB

Name:  S25 Hip Belt.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  348.4 KB

Edit: Still good to wait for the S25 / A45 version but it is good to know IMO that the BB one does work with the other bags - just possibly more twisty due to the smaller width webbing loop attachment point (though I do not find them twisty). For the A45 and Tri-Star, I personally would try to just sew in a 1.5" or 2" webbing loop or a second 1" loop on top of or beside the original 1" one so I can use the extra attachment support width that the BB one provides and it would be even more stable. I pick those bags because they generally would hold the heaviest and most stuff requiring a good hip belt.
    Note also that these are more about moderate load balancing and padded comfort. As the blog post mentions, if needing the ultimate support, go with a framed backpack and hip belt.

Hope this helps

Cheers@
    Last edited by tpnl; 03-12-2015 at 08:22 AM.
    S25/SA/Pilot/Cadet/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), Zephyr/BB/Co-Pilot/DLBC (Black/Black/Steel), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Brain Cells, FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisG View Post
    I'm hoping for something for the Guide's Pack akin to ideas that have been posted here and the new Brain Bag one. Though given the dwindling color selections for the GP I'm wondering if it's heading for an early retirement.
    There is a Guide's Pack hip belt in the works -- and we don't have plans to retire the GP.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Forum Member
    Any chance the GP is ever going to be offered in navy again?

Forum Member
    I'm hoping for a hip belt for the synapse 25 .. Maybe with an attachment point for a water bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    Waiting eagerly for a hip belt for the A45!

As the current hip belts for the A45-A30, S19-S25 and the Smart Alec are all the same as the Side Effect hip belt my guess is, that the next hip belt might a "one for nearly all" packs.
    But this is just a guess from what works right now.

Ilkyway
    “Ankh-Morpork people considered that spelling was a sort of optional extra. They believed in it in the same way they believed in punctuation; it didn't matter where you put it so long as it was there.”

By Sir Terence David John Pratchett from The Truth

Forum Member
    I think an S25 padded belt would be awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Member
    It would be good to have a padded hip belt for Aeronauts, etc. I must confess that for leisure travel my TriStar has been almost entirely displaced by the Tortuga Backpack, which offers a solid belt great for when you're one-bagging it.

Eagerly awaiting one for the TS, A45, etc. too. I really enjoyed packing the Tristar for my partner's trip to DC and agree with all that's been said about it being a fantastic piece of business travel luggage. A hip belt would round out the package perfectly. When you've got a suit, office attire, heavy laptops, massive file folders in the TS... you need all the help you can get.