Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

When did the attachment system for the LCB change?

Around when did the attachment system for the LCB change from the slider to the current Absolute Strap-friendly system? My slightly-more-than-cursory Googling is not turning up info (and I've got deadlines IRL, and therefore can't afford to surf through everything). Thanks in advance!

Forum Member
    Not sure what you mean to "Absolute Strap-friendly." The attachment is still a slider the Absolute strap comes in 2 varieties 1 with the snap hooks and one without (which works with the LCB).

Quote Originally Posted by Muni_Jedi View Post
    Not sure what you mean to "Absolute Strap-friendly." The attachment is still a slider the Absolute strap comes in 2 varieties 1 with the snap hooks and one without (which works with the LCB).
    Oh--the old LCBs came with a strap that had a slider like the SCB and MCB as we know it today. Now, the LCB has attachment points for the version of the absolute strap without the snap hooks (I didn't refer to them as 'sliders' since they don't... slide!). What I'd like to know is when that change was made.

ETA: OK, they're called 'tri-glides'. Thanks, @terayon.
    Last edited by adalangdon; 02-03-2015 at 07:54 AM.

I'm not surer hen the change was made, but my LCB is from 2012 and it has the Absolute-friendly tri-glides.

Volunteer Moderator
    @adalangdon The LCB strap design changed from using the same arrangement as the SCB and MCB (strap webbing sewn to one side if the bag, and a sliding pad) to selectable shoulder strap options some time around late May or early June 2007. After that you could specify a different shoulder strap as part of your order. When the Ristretto (originally designed for 13" MacBooks) debuted at the beginning of March 2008, it was always possible to order alternate straps.

This was probably part of rethinking about straps, possibly because of the success of the Absolute Strap with the Aeronaut (since a number of people who used other bags, like the ID bag, were requesting the ability to use that strap with that bag, even at the beginning if the design thread for what ultimately became the Aeronaut, and they offered the "cheater-D ring" adapters in 2007. Also, the multiple strap options for the upcoming Ristretto were probably kept in mind.

HTH. you can probably get more information from the people who actually were buying Cafe bags at that time -- like @maverick or @backpack.

moriond

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    Oh--the old LCBs came with a strap that had a slider like the SCB and MCB as we know it today. Now, the LCB has attachment points for the version of the absolute strap without the snap hooks (I didn't refer to them as 'sliders' since they don't... slide!). What I'd like to know is when that change was made.

ETA: OK, they're called 'tri-glides'. Thanks, @terayon.
    AHH, I see. Sorry, I'm still a baby Bihnion of sorts, my history doesn't go back that far.