Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar

Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses

Hey everyone!

A post by moriond inspired in us an idea for an upcoming video: a montage of Forum member Bag Hacks and Creative Uses.

An example of a Bag Hack:
    Adding a Double Organizer Pouch and clips to the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag so that it may serve as an in-flight seat pocket bag. (Here's the full details on that one.)
    Bag Hacks can be defined as clever ways to use various TOM BIHN bags and accessories with each other to achieve a new utility. Bag hacks that won't be considered include anything that involves cutting, sewing, dyeing, or otherwise majorly altering the original bag. Ow!

An example of a Creative Use:
    Packing the Daylight Briefcase in the Tri-Star. Or, using a Packing Cube as a minimalist running kit to take to the office to inspire a lunch run. Neither of those bags were specifically design to do that, but you guys figured out that they could be used that way.

Fine print: as these Hacks/Creative Uses will be recreated by us in one of our own videos, they must be replicable by us, which means they should only feature TB bags and accessories. Your own stuff (such as your minimalist running gear) is fine to be included so long as we can probably approximate it (we also have running gear; we don't have an Oscar). We probably can't include every Bag Hack or Creative use, though if this video turns out as cool as we think it might (and that can always go either way!) maybe we'll produce a second volume at some point.

Hope this sounds as fun to everyone as it does to us.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Forum Member
    Greetings,
    I'd like to suggest two ideas.

First: the pilot fits in the packing cube backpack for your consideration. (This was not my idea.) There is at least one photo here, perhaps two, as it inspired me to try the PCBP.

Second: the packing cube shoulder bag tucked into your backpack day bag (DLBP). Then when museums or others ask that you check your backpack, you stow everything into the PCSB.

Thanks! elisa

Share Your Bag Hacks/Creative Uses

I have two hacks that I use pretty much daily, though I'm not claiming credit for inventing them.

First, the PCSB and SE fit beautifully beside each other vertically in the S19. (The SCB also works in place of the PCSB.) And the PCSB makes a perfect modular diaper kit.

Second, the triangular clips used in the YSSs can be worked into the (unused) loops for the Cache rails in the S19, Ego, etc. and used as an extra attachment point. This also works for the waist strap attachment loops.

Oh, and one more:

Last edited by terayon; 01-16-2015 at 10:57 AM.

The brilliant Side Effect hack with double carabiner clips is here.

Would love to see more hacks with those nifty triangle clips. (Think I'll add some to the rail loops in my S19. I usually clip my SE to those for plane trips.)

A small key strap run through the loops on the inside back of a Synapse first. Then attach the O rings on each side of an organizer cube to the clips. Makes a wonderful upper pocket for a Synapse. I did post a picture some time back.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

For the video, would also love to see hacks for corralling backpack straps - people have used Strapeez, Web Dominator clips, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TavaPeak View Post
    For the video, would also love to see hacks for corralling backpack straps - people have used Strapeez, Web Dominator clips, etc.
    This is my hack for this: I separated the webbing part of the strap completely from the padded part, threaded a 1" tri-glide onto the base of the webbing where it attaches to the bag, rethreaded the webbing strap to the padded part, then ran the now-loose end of the webbing through the tri-glide. It is easy to quickly tighten though it takes a little effort to loosen from this point (you have to move the tri-glide first). No dangly ends! You can also see the triangular clip in the waist strap attachment point in this photo.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  594.3 KB

Bag hacks are kind of my favourite. I liked the S19 when I got it but over time I've developed a full-fledged crush on it and making little tweaks here and there to make it just a little sleeker or a tiny bit more functional or versatile for my specific uses gives me unnaturally satisfying thrills. Yes, I admit I have a problem, but if this is wrong then I don't want to be right.

It's not my hack, but moriond to me about it, the PCSB also fits perfectly in the Swift! This gives you a little more security with things not falling out of an open tote. It also fits perfectly in an end pocket of the A30 for easy access to inflight needs. Instead of double carabiners, I use the a strap around the tray to secure it. Again, not my hacks, but ones that I use regularly.

I hope someone posts the hack for using strapeeze and the triangle clips to convert the annex clip system to a cache on rails system in the WF and TS. That is brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Exhaust the little moment.
    Soon it dies.
    And be it gash or gold it will not come
    Again in this identical disguise."
    -Gwendolyn Brooks

Here is my waist strap hack for my Synapse 19.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1541
Size:  770.0 KB
    Synapse 19, Travel Tray, PCSB, all in Dyneema, Side Effect and pouchmania

Canonsue: very nice hack and wonderful eye-candy with the Nordic Co-Pilot (or is it a Pilot?) for moral support.

Forum Member
    Def getting some triangular clips in my next order. Creative ideas. Keep them coming =)

Am too busy/lazy to look up the posts now, but there was @Ilkyway's post on turning the UMP into a nice PLO (I don't use mine like that, but I know @weirdguy does) and another one-- forgive me for not recalling who the clever soul was-- on modding TB and other bags using TB hardware sold on the 'Parts' page. And @tpnl had some neat tricks for the BC, updating BB, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    A small key strap run through the loops on the inside back of a Synapse first. Then attach the O rings on each side of an organizer cube to the clips. Makes a wonderful upper pocket for a Synapse. I did post a picture some time back.
    Has anyone tried this with the triangular clips? How well does that work?

This thread is quite interesting! No hacks to share, but I'm learning a lot...thanks!

I posted about this before elsewhere but I guess it could qualify here.

Have you ever wanted to share your exquisite taste in music with the rest of the folks around you out in public? Sure, I think we all probably do at some point for various reasons. But you don't want to be this guy...

boombox
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

Fortunately modern technology lets you bring tons of music and speakers to play it on anywhere you go. It just so happens that if you combine this speaker (a Bose Soundlink Color) with a TB mesh 3D organizer and a carabiner or shoulder strap you can bebop around town and let everyone else revel in your awesome audio aura.

speaker 2
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

speaker 3
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

speaker 4
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

speaker 5
    by jjgtme, on Flickr

Think of all the knowing looks and genuine compliments you'll receive when the sound of someone talking too loudly on their phone in line at the coffee shop is silenced by your sonic justice in the form of Led Zeppelin's Greatest Hits. ;-)