Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Version remorse?

Unhappy Version remorse?

I bought my first TB, an Aeronaut, at the end of March. I love it, BUT ... less than six months later, the redesign came out, which fixed a few design flaws in the one I have. Now I feel like the people who get a new MacBook (or whatever) right before the new version is released. Sort of a petty thing, but whenever I trip over one of the things that was fixed in the redesign, I think about how I should have waited (had I but known) and gotten the newer version. Does anyone else suffer from this?

Hmmmm I have too the old A45, which feature in particular are missing? Of the top of my head I would say the second zipped outside poket is what makes the most difference.

My Aeronaut predates the redesign too, but I still love it. I like the main compartment snaps, and don't use the side zip pocket, so I don't miss that the other side doesn't zip. That said, I feel you. Maybe sell it and start over?
    tpnl and Ilkyway like this.

I have an old-style 45 and a new-style 30. Except for that extra zipped pocket they function identically and the only reason I would consider buying a new 45 would be to have one in Dyneema as well as ballistic. If you love the bag, there's really nothing to regret, IMO; however, if you think the updates will make a big difference to you, there would be no harm in buying a new one and testing it yourself to confirm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    tpnl and binje like this.

I purposely bought the old style A45 when the new one had been announced because of the cost savings. I don't use the outside pockets much so that didn't matter to me, and I don't see a functional difference between the snaps and zippers. The outside zippers (reversed vs unreversed) seems to me the biggest change.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    I purposely bought the old style A45 when the new one had been announced because of the cost savings. I don't use the outside pockets much so that didn't matter to me, and I don't see a functional difference between the snaps and zippers. The outside zippers (reversed vs unreversed) seems to me the biggest change.
    Second all of this. I was a bit relieved when the design changes were announced because they didn't change the way I feel about my current bag. The only thing I really regret is a color choice. I liked my A45 so much that I bought my husband a Navy one to get it in before the price increase - and he probably would have preferred the Verde. Still, he doesn't know that Verde exists, so it's not a big deal.

I bought a Western Flyer when its strap configuration was a sling strap rather than backpack straps. It was a cute idea, I thought, but the sling strap, which was diagonal across the chest, didn't work well for well-endowed women like me.

Once I saw the re-design, I wished I'd waited. But it's still a great bag, of course. Though it was partly my dissatisfaction with the sling strap (as well as the overall fabulousness of Nordic Dyneema) that made me buy a second Western Flyer.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Volunteer Moderator
    @flitcraft, I agreee on the orginal design Western Flyer with sling strap that the re-designed version was better. BTW I had the Buzz Sling Backpack before that, and loved it: that hit my favorite Tom Bihn EDC 10 years ago. I think the problem with the sling design on the orginal Western Flyer is that the luggage nature of the bag forced a rectangular design, and so, with only one attachment point and the shape of sling strap to play with, it was too hard to make the strap scale to fit a general population of wearers.

However, in the case of the A45, the original poster states "the redesign came out, which fixed a few design flaws in the one I have". What I'd like to know is whether that poster actually perceived his bag as having "design flaws" apart from the announcement of version changes. Like @Badger I have the A30, which uses the new style of zippers and internal zipper instead of snaps for the compartments, and the original Aeronaut from the first production run. I think that either zipper format works, but I find the original zipper design easier to zip/unzip quickly (this is not just on the Aeronaut, but on the Pilot that got the redesigned zippers first), although I think that with time this becomes easier. I've also personally had no longevity problems with the older zippers (and this includes Tom Bihn bags that are more than 10 years old).

So, I guess I need to first know what the perceived "flaws" were before I answer. Being able to zip closeed the second diagonal side pocket is one of the new version features.

If you didn't encouter major "flaws", then the question is whether the version you got was worth the usage you got out of receiving it earlier, at a lower price, and possibly in color combinations that you can't now get (such as Nordic/Solar or Steel/Steel in 400d Dyneema; or I believe that the very last production run of Cardinal Ballistic anything was saved for the Aeronaut (February 2014). I know the Aeronaut in Cardinal/Steel was still available in late March of this year, because my post in 2014 wish list thread specifically references its availability, along with Nordic Dyneema/Solar. I think that if anybody really wanted the Aeronaut 45 in these gone-for-good color combinations, they would have happily ordered the Aeronaut 45 in March.

BTW, We did know that they planned on changing over the zipper design in all the Tom Bihn bags, including the Aeronaut 45, because Darcy mentioned this in posts starting at the beginning of January (for the upcoming Pilot) that this would be in the works.

The only other major product version change I can recall, where I think more people would have wanted to know about this beforehand, was the adoption of rail straps inside a number of bags (like the Tri-Star), where this first started happening quietly, wihtout formal notification.

HTH. You can, always sell your bag and buy the new version if you think these are features you really want. I know that's a lot of extra work, but Tom Bihn bags hold their value.

moriond
    tpnl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    I bought my first TB, an Aeronaut, at the end of March. I love it, BUT ... less than six months later, the redesign came out, which fixed a few design flaws in the one I have. Now I feel like the people who get a new MacBook (or whatever) right before the new version is released. Sort of a petty thing, but whenever I trip over one of the things that was fixed in the redesign, I think about how I should have waited (had I but known) and gotten the newer version. Does anyone else suffer from this?
    I don't know if I'd call it suffering, but I do admit a little tiny bit of disappointment that my beautiful navy/UV Synapse 19 didn't have the o-ring in the drink pouch, nor did it have the light attachment point. I know I could have sold it and bought a newer version, but I loved my Synapse 19 (still do!), so I just decided to love it as is. It no longer bothers me in the slightest. As far as I know, that's the only "obsolete" bag that I have, so I have limited experience to share.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mausermama View Post
    I don't know if I'd call it suffering, but I do admit a little tiny bit of disappointment that my beautiful navy/UV Synapse 19 didn't have the o-ring in the drink pouch, nor did it have the light attachment point. I know I could have sold it and bought a newer version, but I loved my Synapse 19 (still do!), so I just decided to love it as is. It no longer bothers me in the slightest. As far as I know, that's the only "obsolete" bag that I have, so I have limited experience to share.
    @Mausermama The extra O-ring in the water bottle pocket, and three (instead of 1) O-ring in the bottom front zippered pocket of the Synapse 19, along with the short webbing strap at the bottom of the bag for carrying a Guardian light mounted to the bottom of the Synapse, and the Rail loop attachments in the main compartment for attaching vertical caches with rails, were all features of the Synapse 25 when that size debuted, and that were added to the Synapse 19 in the May 2013 re-design (that was also marked by changing the label on the S19 from "Portable Culture" to the "Made in USA" label already being sported by the Synapse 25 batches.

I still use my Indigo (1000d Cordura)/Solar Synapse (19) from 2009, and would have been totally bummed out not to have this color combination (which sold out the first time time Solar was retired in 2011). Furthermore, it was totally worth having the bag all those years as my EDC, without the extra O-rings and webbing strap for Guardian light. I don't really miss the rail loop connectors in the S19 main compartment -- since the cache for 13" MacBook Air, Pro, or Retina Pro fits this exactly, and my preferred caches in terms of material are all the versions in the denser faom that aren't available for the caches with rails versions.

I'm also really glad I got the Synapse 19 and the Swift in Nordic/Steel Dyneema the Christmas 6 months before the update of the S19, even though I had to cancel my order for the Imago in Aubergine/Hemp/Steel at that time to cover those items. First, the Synapse 19 fit me better than the later redesigned strap spacing. If I had delayed I wouldn't have gotten a Nordic Dyneema S19 that optimally fit me. Secondly, the Tom Bihn folks judge which items/fabrics to keep in stock based on the popularity of the initial reception. We were very close to having Nordic Dyneema retired around June or July 2013. It's a guessing game, but if I hadn't ordered the S19 and Swift in Nordic when they first became available, they might have decided there was insufficient interest in the fabric. An as it was, if they had discontinued Nordic in June/July 2013 there would not have been options to get those bags at all. (I also made sure that I ordered the Nordic Shop Bag while it was available that Spring).

I've almost always been really glad that I've ordered bags when I did. There's usually some screening where I decide that a particular bag is not for me, but I have not regretted getting these bags while they were available.

HTH

moriond

All fair points, and the fact is, these aren't really worth my complaining about. It's still a great bag. And on the plus side, I got the solar interior, which I like and isn't available any more.

BTW, the main difference is the second zippered pocket. The non-zippered pocket is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    . . . And on the plus side, I got the solar interior, which I like and isn't available any more. . . .
    There you go.

Actually, I prefer my older-generation bags—the zipper treatment is visually simpler and sleeker, and the backpack strap placement (of the S19) works for me. My Smart Alec dates from 2008 (with Cordura lining and open pockets on top). There are no outside loops for attachments, and I like it that way, clean-lined and simple.

I would feel remorse if I hadn't ordered another Kit and Solar stuff sacks when their retirement was announced.

The only time I experienced anything close to "remorse" was with my Black Dyneema A45 when the bag was made available in Nordic/Solar. That was because of color preference rather than design change. I sold the Black Dyneema and got the Nordic. TB bags hold up their value really well, in my experience of both selling and buying pre-owned TBs.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

+1 @taminca - I find that the only time I think of getting another version of a TB bag is if there is a color combination I like better (and I am not even a "color" wanting type of person !). This is very troubling for me as an engineer whose profession cares about form and function - not so much color

I understand what you are saying @cujo - there is always some "question" as to whether the new version will be better enough to prefer it more (for the A45, despite the extra $50 cost). That is who we are as people - always wanting the best.

I actually appreciate that new versions are mainly an evolution as opposed to a full ground up redesign. It shows that the "bones" of TB bags, if you will, pass the test of time and are "classic" in nature IMHO. Knowing I have a fundamentally excellent bag actually reduces my "buyer's remorse" due to differing versions (e.g. a classic is a classic, no matter what changes later versions get). TB bags are designed for longevity - not just in material durability but in design - as the quote from Tom Bihn himself says on the front page of the website:

"I design for longevity not only by selecting the best materials, but also by putting them together in a way that they are least prone to fail, even after years of use ... The longevity of our bags also encourages me to be somewhat cautious in terms of aesthetics: you want a bag that's going to last for 10 or 20 years to be more or less classic."
    — Tom Bihn

This core value is what I care most about in this world of throw-away things. TB, by it's above philosophy, is the most green IMHO.

If you really need that extra enclosed space in the side pocket, as an alternative to getting a new A45, a bit of sticky backed Velcro attached to the non-zippered old A45 pocket would provide similar "enclosed pocket" evolutionary functionality perhaps.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
    S25/SA/Pilot/Cadet/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), Zephyr/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

I wish my 12 y.o. Brain Bag had the water bottle clip of the newer one and the silver zippers of mine aren't as sleek as the black zippers are, but I wouldn't trade it for a new one, ever; too many adventures together. I like having the reversed zippers on my CP and A45. But the best thing, IMO, about the 'old' one's is ... "Portable Culture".
    Last edited by dnarud13; 12-13-2014 at 10:33 PM.
    [2003] Brain Bag (w/Snake Charmer & 2 Brain cells) __________________________________________________ ______ "Be excellent to each other."
    - [2010] Aeronaut (w/Absolute, 1lg/2sm Packing Cubes, Travel Tray & 3D clear cube)
    - - [2013] Co-Pilot (w/ mini-'Absolute', Cache, Clear Org wallet, S.O.S., 3D mesh cube )
    - - - [2015] Tristar (PCSB, Passport Pouch & 3D clear cube)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast