Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Forum Member

Nordic 1050 ballistic?

Thought this was interesting. I noticed it on the Nordic co-pilot I purchased recently. Thought it was Dyneema, but it has this tag on it. Interior is Steel Dyneema, I can't find anything other than perhaps the trim that would be 1050. It's also the only 400d Dyneema I've got so I can't compare to another bag. What's also curious is that it doesn't have the X grid pattern that the 200 has.

Guessing an "oops?"

Nordic 1050 ballistic?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1414872297-884591-jpg

darwin it is 400 Dyneema all right. The label is either wrong or refers to the brimming. We had this somewhere before. Nonetheless you have a very nice and beautiful bag there. Enjoy it.

Volunteer Moderator
    @darwin There seems to have been a previous batch of 400d Dyneema Co-Pilots with that label. Here's a picture of @ceepee's (or technically, her partner's) Steel 400d Dyneema Co-Pilot with similar tag:

See her post (#216) in the Post a link to your eBay or craigslist sale here thread, and read the posts around that one for the discussion. This discussion came up because an eBay posting for that Co-Pilot showed up with the description you showed in your photo, and was flagged as suspicious.

BTW, since Nordic Dyneema does not have a 200d weight Dyneema counterpart, you wouldn't expect to see the "X" pattern that you refer to in any case; it's only present for 200d Steel Dyneema, which had a 400d Dyneema Steel counterpart. And I'll also mention that if anyone has Dyneema packing cube accessories that date from when these were first issued, those 200d steel Dyneema accessories also don't have that "x" pattern. That was a later decision that was adopted early on for 200d Dyneema.

HTH moriond

At the risk of contradicting the encyclopaedic moriond - though I think it's just a case of this sentence not being entirely clear (my bolding):

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    BTW, since Nordic Dyneema does not have a 200d weight Dyneema counterpart, you wouldn't expect to see the "X" pattern that you refer to in any case; it's only present for 200d Steel Dyneema, which had a 400d Dyneema Steel counterpart.
    AFAIK, all the 200d dyneema colours have the "X" pattern, not just Steel. But Steel is the only colour to come in both weights, hence you'll see both versions in a Steel/Steel Dyneema bag but not a Nordic one, which perforce is lined with 400d.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 + DLBC
    Leisure: SCBs, MCBs, FJN, Swift, lots of YSSs
    Travel: WF + Pilot or SA, both with SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: A new dyneema colour for YSSs; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    At the risk of contradicting the encyclopaedic moriond - though I think it's just a case of this sentence not being entirely clear (my bolding):

AFAIK, all the 200d dyneema colours have the "X" pattern, not just Steel. But Steel is the only colour to come in both weights, hence you'll see both versions in a Steel/Steel Dyneema bag but not a Nordic one, which perforce is lined with 400d.
    Quite correct. The "x" pattern is present for all 200d Dyneema currently made. The accurate statement is that up till now only the color Steel has been made in both 200d and 400d weight Dyneema. So attempts to look for an "x" pattern in either Nordic or Black Dyneema, which up to now only exists in 400d weight Dyneema, would not be successful.

moriond

tiny rural town in the Piedmont of the Carolinas
    Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post

Actually sapphire 200d Dyneema did not have the "X" pattern, and neither did the "charcoal" (darker than steel, lighter than black) lining of my Utility Tote pockets. If we're being technical.
    I really, really like TB Bags!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    Actually sapphire 200d Dyneema did not have the "X" pattern, and neither did the "charcoal" (darker than steel, lighter than black) lining of my Utility Tote pockets. If we're being technical.
    Also correct. I have the Sapphire Dyneema Shop bag, clear pen/pencil organizer pouch, and passport pouch, and all of these lack the "x" pattern. And if we want to get technical about this, the original color of 200d Steel Dyneema was much darker (closer to black) in both the Aeronaut lining and the packing cubes.

moriond

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Also correct. I have the Sapphire Dyneema Shop bag, clear pen/pencil organizer pouch, and passport pouch, and all of these lack the "x" pattern. And if we want to get technical about this, the original color of 200d Steel Dyneema was much darker (closer to black) in both the Aeronaut lining and the packing cubes.

moriond
    That must be the same Dyneema that lines the pockets of my UT! It's gorgeous!
    Sadly, I didn't think to order any of the Sapphire Dyneema items. I was still so new to TB, I was trying to secure my first Swift, and then it was gone. I try not to repeat that mistake, though I have found myself on more than one occasion sad that a particular color combination "got away". There are sometimes more choices than money iykwim?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dorayme View Post
    That must be the same Dyneema that lines the pockets of my UT! It's gorgeous!
    Sadly, I didn't think to order any of the Sapphire Dyneema items. I was still so new to TB, I was trying to secure my first Swift, and then it was gone. I try not to repeat that mistake, though I have found myself on more than one occasion sad that a particular color combination "got away". There are sometimes more choices than money iykwim?
    Yes, I do know what you mean… although reading these acronyms have the meanings pop up into my hind brain the way things work when I look at crossword puzzles. Somehow, the meaning expands even though I don't use phrases like "iykwim"myself as messaging shortcuts.

I didn't know that Sapphire Dyneema would be in such short supply when it first appeared. There were a number of posts trying to encourage them to do packing cubes in the different colored Dyneema, but the only one that they did was an early offering in Solar. (I have a small Tri-Star Packing Cube in Solar from that batch, before they dropped this idea).

And I never got the Utility Tote, because of thinking I was already using the Lux bag for most of the functions I would use the Tote for.

moriond

I actually text considerably less than I used to, however, sometimes I slip into lol speak without noticing. Sorry for any confusion.

Forum Member
    Thanks for all of the info! After posting, I found another thread or blog post about the diamond pattern, I think it was in the blog post about the 400 dyneema release.

Anyway, I really really like the bag. As has been noted- the dyneema bags are definitely more floppy and get their structure from the contents, while the cordura bags get most of their structure from the fabric itself.

I'm extremely happy with my cordura A45 and wouldn't want a Dyneema version. I also wouldn't want a large dyneema backpack (or other 'durable' large bag). I'm very happy with the Dyneema CP and probably wouldn't want one out of cordura. I think for the pilot, either would work really well.

Each have their strengths and weaknesses, pick the right fabric for the bag and needs!

@Darwin - Is your A45 really Cordura? I thought they were always either 1050d Ballistic Nylon or 400d Dyneema exteriors.

Cheers!
    TB Ballistic Black/Iberian Dyneema backpacks and briefcases for every occasion together with my cherished Nordic and Solar Dyneema!

I just fainted bei the mentioning oder Saphir Dyneema. Thailand should look awesome.

Stupid outocorect on the Phone... While Thailand would bei great without a daubt I wanted to say THAT instead.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tpnl View Post
    @Darwin - Is your A45 really Cordura? I thought they were always either 1050d Ballistic Nylon or 400d Dyneema exteriors.

Cheers!
    You are correct. It wasn't in front of me at the time!