Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Forum Member

Dyneema drawstring bag

My wife loves carrying around this drawstring type of pack. Made of nylon and is now breaking down a bit at the seams. I was just thinking how awesome it would be to see one of those in steel Dyneema. Could even serve as a very large stuff sack/packing cube.

Quote Originally Posted by fdiaz64 View Post
    My wife loves carrying around this drawstring type of pack. Made of nylon and is now breaking down a bit at the seams. I was just thinking how awesome it would be to see one of those in steel Dyneema. Could even serve as a very large stuff sack/packing cube.
    So you mean something larger than a Size 4 Stuff Sack?

Are the Yarn Stuff Sacks bigger than the Travel Stuff Sacks?
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Forum Member
    I could be wrong, but I think he meant something like this, but in Dyneema.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  349.2 KB

one of these in dyneema would be nice if the weight could be cut in half too. A big yarn stuff sack with shoulder straps, perhaps.

Forum Member
    would the DLBP not fit this bill? comes in black dyneema.

Forum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabags View Post
    would the DLBP not fit this bill? comes in black dyneema.
    Almost. My wife isn't a fan of the shape of the DLBP though. But she loves that drawstring backpack thing.

This idea was put forth by @dorayme in the Wish List thread! Drawstring backpacks are the ultimate in portability because they are completely flat when empty. You could roll or fold it into a very small shape and tuck it into your main bag, which might solve the "what bag to carry when I get to my destination?" question that seems to come up so frequently.
    Last edited by Janine; 09-05-2014 at 07:31 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Forum Member
    I find them very handy when on a plane - great for my wallet, cell phone, lip balm, headphones and a notebook - things I want at my seat and easily stuffing back into my main bag when I land. While I have used one of the 3D organizer cubes, on my last trip I used the cinch backpack from LL bean - a fancier version of REI's flash 18, which was also great for holding necessities at the convention I went to. The cinch backpack may be overkill, but if Tom Bihn comes up with a drawstring backpack in steel or iberian dyneema, I would be all over it.

I think some of these Marmot Kompressor packs have drawstring tops.