Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree18Likes
  • 3 Post By Darcy
  • 1 Post By Darcy
  • 8 Post By luvdabags
  • 2 Post By meekasmom
  • 1 Post By itsablur
  • 3 Post By moriond

Thread: Checkpoint Flyer?

Checkpoint Flyer?

Hi,

Just wondering what everyone has as expectations for the "New" Checkpoint Flyer.. there was a post on 5/8/2013 that was "stay tuned" for a new release date but I am in the market for a new business brief/carry on to go along with my A30. Any news? What do you want to see in the new Checkpoint Flyer? TB crew/Darcy, any hints on release dates?

Super Moderator
    Huh! I have what will I guess soon be known as the "old" Checkpoint Flyer, and am not thinking of much I'd change There's one thing that I'd change overall on everyone *else's* though, that (heh heh) is already fixed on mine, because Tom was nice enough to make this change: that's to add another set of strap loops (eyelets?). Eventually, I'll take a picture to show you what I mean, but the location that he was kind enough to alter my bag to have make it fall more naturally on my body, and they make it more symmetrical -- I don't like bags to make one orientation better than another with good reason; I'm right handed, but sometimes want to carry a bag on the other shoulder, even if it's just because my back's aching.

I think the CF is a great bag; I packed for a weekend in it once (leaving computer at a temporary home, using the computer bag to hold clothes). Maybe I'd like it to have just a bit of hip-side padding, or a place to add some.

@timothy
    I would be interested in seeing what your strap loop change is all about.
    I agree that the Checkpoint Flyer is a great product and I was even able to use just it for a 3 day trip - all business.

@arimat
    I recall a post saying that the Checkpoint Flyer was delayed because Tom was inspired by a different design direction and wanted to pursue that first. That direction ended up being the Founder's Briefcase and Guide's Pack.
    However, before that I had spoken to one of the TB crew and the changes were along the lines of making it use the cache system and changes in the Volume / Capacity.
    But, if they just added Rail loops to the Zephyr and Empire Builder (not sure if this has already been added), it would make the new Checkpoint Flyer perhaps a bit redundant.
    Also, the Founder's Briefcase has a built in Checkpoint Friendly compartment and could be considered the "new" Checkpoint Flyer.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 07-09-2014 at 01:29 AM.
    S25/SA/Pilot/Cadet/TS/WF/A45 (Black/Iberian), Zephyr/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Here's the latest on the Checkpoint Flyer: because we now have (thanks to the addition of the Rails System) several popular options when it comes to checkpoint friendly briefcases/messenger bags/travel bags -- the Pilot, Cadet,Ego,Zephyr, Empire Builder, Founder's Briefcase, Tri-Star -- the redesign of the Checkpoint Flyer is on hiatus. Maybe someday you'll see a redesigned Checkpoint Flyer. Or, maybe someday, you'll see a new briefcase that uses some of the design elements of the original Checkpoint Flyer. I know this might be disappointing news for some; sorry about that. Trust, if you can, that what comes next will be even better.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Darcy is it you starting the anticipation all over again? If so, let us all take a deeeeeeep breath before it gets too serious. I am still in recovery-mode from all the excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    Darcy is it you starting the anticipation all over again? If so, let us all take a deeeeeeep breath before it gets too serious. I am still in recovery-mode from all the excitement.
    You will have plenty of time to recover (and so will we!) I wouldn't expect any new major debuts until the fall or later. That said, there's many new (way exciting!!) designs in the works.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    You will have plenty of time to recover (and so will we!) I wouldn't expect any new major debuts until the fall or later. That said, there's many new (way exciting!!) designs in the works.
    What about a new 400d Dyneema color? After Badger posted this review I am teetering towards ordering the ballistic A30 but I could exercise some patience if I were to hear, perhaps, more dyneema is coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by kkintea; 07-14-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Well, the fall begins in September, and that is only 7 weeks away. Not too long for this forum's members--START THE COUNTDOWN CLOCK, eWalker!

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    What about a new 400d Dyneema color? After Badger posted this review I am teetering towards ordering the ballistic A30 but I could exercise some patience if I were to hear, perhaps, more dyneema is coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No new 400d Dyneema colors are happening anytime soon. We're super happy with the Black (and that seems to be everyone's favorite) so we're sticking with that for now.

the sales of black dyneema outer fabric ---when all there is IS black--- is being interpreted as everyone's favorite dyneema is black? hmmmm...or could it be that there is only one choice of 400d outer fabric in dyneema at the moment and it is black....

please please please
    bring back steel or nordic or any other color. black looks so....well, black.
    enjih and Hawaii like this.

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    the sales of black dyneema outer fabric ---when all there is IS black--- is being interpreted as everyone's favorite dyneema is black? hmmmm...or could it be that there is only one choice of 400d outer fabric in dyneema at the moment and it is black....

please please please
    It's not that black.

Now this. This is serious BLACK fabric...
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post

please please please
    @meekasmom. They judge the popularity of the different color options by the relative number of sales when all color options were offered -- specifically, over the several earlier months when it was possible to order Pilots, Co-Pilots, Side Effects, Synapses, Smart Alecs, Aeronauts, etc. when all three Dyneema colors were available.

HTH moriond

ETA: This doesn't mean that I personally don't miss the other 400d Dyneema colors. When Nordic Dyneema was first released I dropped other pending items from my order, including an Imago, to make sure I got these before they disappeared. So my Nordic Shop bags have the old "Portable Culture" label and I would have loved to see a Little Swift in Nordic. But I think a large fraction of sales, especially by people who purchase but don't join the forums, are in Black bags -- even Black Dyneema. And I want TB to prosper while they develop the next cool Dyneema, Ballistic Nylon, and Parapack colors. Also, I think 400d Black Dyneema is pretty cool.
    Last edited by moriond; 07-15-2014 at 06:03 PM.

Hmmm... you might have a point about black as a majority choice. I missed the whole nordic offering---well, just got in on the tail end of it. A week before the gate rang down. What nordic beauties do you have. Come on, share a photo...promise not to drool (well, maybe a little).