Messenger Bag for Photographers
As an amateur photographer, I am constantly in search of a messenger bag that is discrete (i.e., not a "camera bag"), comfortable to carry all day while traveling, well-constructed, and large enough to carry a professional-grade DSLR camera and several lenses. I am a huge fan of Tom Bihn bags (I own the Aeronaut, Large Cafe Bag, and Smart Alec, and previously owned the Imago), but from what I can tell, none of the current messenger bags in the Tom Bihn lineup would work well for carrying my photography gear (e.g., Canon 5D Mark II with battery grip, 24-70 f/2.8, 50 f/1.2, and 70-200 f/2.8 lenses). I currently use a medium Timbuk2 messenger bag with a Tenba camera insert to carry my gear when traveling, but I would not hesitate to replace it with a Tom Bihn messenger bag, especially when Tom Bihn begins selling the long-anticipated camera insert.
My "dream" camera messenger bag from Tom Bihn would include the following key features:
(1) Internal dimensions to accommodate a full-frame DSLR camera with an attached lens, and at least two additional lenses, including a 70-200 f/2.8 with the hood reversed.
(2) A removable, padded insert with movable dividers.
(3) A simple flap with no pockets and a one-buckle closure (e.g., like on the Imago).
(4) A large opening that makes it easy to store and remove a DSLR while shooting.
(5) A padded waist belt that can be stored inside the bag when not in use (e.g., like on the "Change Up" and "Speed Convertible" belt packs made by Think Tank Photo). This feature would be especially useful when carrying heavy loads.
Thanks for making great products! I hope to one day round out my Tom Bihn collection with a camera messenger bag...