Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Tom Bihn Garment Sleeve - Mid 2010?

Just a quick follow-up on this thread. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is still a Tom Bihn garment sleeve in the works. Has the notion of a sleeve advanced, or has it been shelved? Any news?

If Mr. Bihn has decided not to enter the garment sleeve fray, would it be permissible for people to post links to their favorite third-party garment sleeves?
    Rory likes this.
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnMan View Post
    Just a quick follow-up on this thread. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is still a Tom Bihn garment sleeve in the works. Has the notion of a sleeve advanced, or has it been shelved? Any news?
    It's still a possibility, though I don't have any recent news, but go ahead and post links to other garment sleeves.
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Update: Maverick's 2010 video "Packing a Suit in an Aeronaut", mentioned upthread, has apparently been moved. The new video location is linked in this message.

The link that is posted upthread has apparently expired. I no longer has the ability to edit that message. Can the mod do something with it?
    Owner of: Super Ego briefcase (Black / Indigo / Steel) with Reflective Strip, Brain Cell (Steel), Horizontal Freudian Slip, various Organizer Pouches and Key Straps, and a Side Effect (Black / Wassabi) worn as a belt-style hip-pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    It's still a possibility, though I don't have any recent news, but go ahead and post links to other garment sleeves.
    Here's the current garmet bag that I carry - would love to see Tom Bihn do something similar (not a sleeve, but an actual bag) made in dyneema and has all the favorite organization that I love about TB. I sometimes travel, with only this garmet bag and it would be great if they could figure out how to make a computer fit in it too.

Compact Garment Bag, 375, Baseline, Garment Bags | Briggs & Riley Official Site
    casun likes this.

^ @Lync: Is this garment bag FAA Carry-on ready?

^ @Lync: Is this garment bag FAA Carry-on ready?
    I'm not Lync, but the Briggs & Riley Baseline tri-fold garment bag is listed as 14"x22"x8.5", which should be fine as a carry-on for all major US airlines, except possibly on a small regional jet. I have a similarly-sized Patagonia "Burrito" that works great. The Briggs and Riley looks a little more rigid in structure, but I'll bet it's got more give than a roller.

I have some more questions:

1: Are there any, currently-available on the market, tri-fold garment bags that will carry both a suit and other travel items? (3-1-1 bag, small laptop or tablet in sleeve, external pocket for airline tickets, passport, etc...)

2: Are there any, currently available on the market, minimalist tri-fold garment bags that are functionally able to work as SLEEVES inside other luggage (like an Aeronaut or Tri-Star) and/or as external travel bags on their own?

3: How does TSA / "Homeland Security" treat tri-fold garment bags? Are they a hassle going through screenings at the airport? Do they make you unfold the bag?

4: How easy/difficult is it to pack and fold a tri-fold garment bag or sleeve for travel?

5: What are the essential steps of unpacking a suit (and presumably other items) from a tri-fold garment bag once you reach your hotel/destination?

Thanks!

The Mountain Man

I have some more questions:

1: Are there any, currently-available on the market, tri-fold garment bags that will carry both a suit and other travel items? (3-1-1 bag, small laptop or tablet in sleeve, external pocket for airline tickets, passport, etc...)

2: Are there any, currently available on the market, minimalist tri-fold garment bags that are functionally able to work as SLEEVES inside other luggage (like an Aeronaut or Tri-Star) and/or as external travel bags on their own?

3: How does TSA / "Homeland Security" treat tri-fold garment bags? Are they a hassle going through screenings at the airport? Do they make you unfold the bag?

4: How easy/difficult is it to pack and fold a tri-fold garment bag or sleeve for travel?

5: What are the essential steps of unpacking a suit (and presumably other items) from a tri-fold garment bag once you reach your hotel/destination?

Thanks!

The Mountain Man
    Can't answer 1 or 2 without some research.

3) TSA hasn't thought anything of it. To them it shouldn't be any different than a duffel bag, backpack, single-fold garment bag, etc. None of those have to be emptied or sorted or anything.

4) My Patagonia Burrito Suiter has a giant hook on a chain that attaches to the top of the bag and can fit over a clothes bar or even most doors. I hang it, zip open the main compartment and slip the hangers with clothes into a locking mechanism that holds them in place. Zip up the main compartment, fill smaller pockets with 1-2 pairs of shoes, ties, a few days' worth of undergarments and socks, and lay the bag flat on my bed for rolling. Once flat, I remove the hook and chain, place it in the "top" pocket where it's intended to go, fold the "bottom" third toward the middle, zip the bottom to a zipper that runs the width of the bag, fold the "top" third on top and do two quick release buckles that keep it pretty much rolled in thirds. That's it for the entire packing side.

5) Unpacking is fairly easy too. Unclip quick release, grab hook and chain, hang bag on door or rod, unpack smaller pockets, open main compartment to get to suits/shirts/etc. hanging. I often just take out what I need for the next morning and leave the rest of it hanging inside the bag unless it's obviously wrinkled.

It works pretty well, IMO. As I said somewhere else, the Patagonia bag I have is older (late 1990s) and has some design aspects that I would change, but conceptually it's great. Mine got very little use for most of the years I've had it, so it is still in decent-to-good shape. Google shows that they re-released it a few years ago as the MLC Burrito, but it is no longer available. When mine dies, I'd love a Tom Bihn replacement!

I had this same issue when I was using a tristar. I honestly don't think you need a garment bag. Just roll the coat and pants, the aeronaut works better, and when you get to your destination it won't have as many wrinkles as you might thing. My coat and pants rarely need a touch up, I usually do use the hotel iron to iron the shirt sleeves. I use to use a packing cube in a tristar, I rolled the pants over my shirts and if it fit the coat over the pants, or rolled the coat over the packing cube. A garment bag adds a bit of bulk.

I typically unpack my suit as soon as possible so it starts to un-wrinkle itself.

Does a Tom Bihn Stuff Sack or some Eagle Creek tube-thingy help serve as a place to pack away the rolled up suit? Also: are there any good, reputable how-to videos on the 'net that show an effective way to roll up a suit?

Does a Tom Bihn Stuff Sack or some Eagle Creek tube-thingy help serve as a place to pack away the rolled up suit? Also: are there any good, reputable how-to videos on the 'net that show an effective way to roll up a suit?
    The Eagle Creek tubes are way too small for a suit. I think the Stuff Sacks are also too small.

If you're going to use an Aeronaut, and roll a suit, I would suggest using a large Aeronaut Packing Cube.

Here are a couple of videos on how to roll a suit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkW-90LLJxE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzQ9Ibe4ARk
    MtnMan likes this.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Mountain Man - To answer #1, here are a few:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    http://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Luggag...XEXK9BW3NBYCKT
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/t...uctId=10034811
    Amazon.com: Victorinox Luggage Werks Traveler 4.0 Wt Porter Bag, Black, One Size: Clothing

I have the first one. It is super junky but I wanted to try the form factor before buying a more expensive bag. If/when it falls apart I will likely buy the Eagle Creek or Victorinox one. Packing/unpacking is pretty much what autolycus described except I just do it on a bed instead of packing while hanging. I really wish there was a TB option in this category because most of my travel is 0-2 nights and requires a suit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory View Post
    I really wish there was a TB option in this category because most of my travel is 0-2 nights and requires a suit.
    ditto this.

To expand a little on the need/goal, here is a typical itenerary: leave from work in the afternoon in dress shoes, pants, and shirt (plus coat if winter); fly somewhere; overnight in hotel; [go to hotel gym in morning, ideally]; go to a meeting in a suit; leave from meeting straight to airport to fly home.

Packing list: 1 suit, 1 dress shirt, 1 tie, 2 pairs underwear, 1 pair dress socks, 1 pair gym socks, gym shorts, t-shirt, lightweight gym shoes (Inov-8's), toiletry bag, ipad, a folder or two of papers, charger/cables, earbuds, snacks, a couple pens and some business cards.

It won't work if you plan on carrying other items (and it probably depends on your suit size, but I wear a 38R), but I was able to fit the Eagle Creek Garment Sleeve:

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-Tr.../dp/B00F9S70RY

into the middle section of the TriStar. Don't know if it would fit in one of the other sections or not.

For unpacking, all I did was "unfold" the sleeve and hung the whole thing (with suit in it) in the closet. Suit came out looking great w/o any wrinkles. At least none that I noticed anyway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2