Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree261Likes

Thread: Parental Unit Review

nsh

Parental Unit Review

Babies require gear. No matter how much of a minimalist I am, one cannot deny that there is a certain amount of stuff that my Leila needs when I leave the house. I carry:

Snake charmer filled with-6 diapers size 3, a packet of wipes, onsie for change of clothes

Travel changing pad

Travel Sack size 1- a binky, a small lovey, and some rattling toy for my 6 month old Leila

Bitybean baby carrier

Mommy Pouch aka TB 3D mesh organizer- TB wallet, phone, sunglasses, journals, and pens. I also carry a scarf or thin blanket for nursing.

Water bottle for Adult

We don’t have to tote around bottles or food (yet) for Leila.

I tried all kinds of diaper bags and was largely dissatisfied with the functionality and/or the aesthetic form of the bag. When Darcy from Tom Bihn approached me to review the PU, I was ecstatic for the opportunity. In fact, when the email arrived on a Friday evening Iexclaimed, “Oh my God!” and my husband ran into the room thinking something crazy had happened to the baby. It was that exciting for me. In return for the bag, I was asked to provide an honest review. And here is my honest review:

My expectation of a functional and beautiful bag that both parents could carry/or sling across stroller handlebars was far exceeded by the Parental Unit. I love it.

Function: The bag easily fits all of Leila’s gear. I haven’t yet refined my organization of the bag but it will fit all the gear. When paired with a snake charmer, a pocket pouch, TB wallet, travel sacks, and 3D mesh organizers, I can grab items with one hand even while holding Leila. There are three different large zippered areas that have pockets and internal organization that make packing and accessing the bag extremely efficient. Even when fully loaded, the bag feels light on the shoulder or across the body.

Also, the straps of the PU are a perfect fit when hung across the bars of our stroller without knocking into the cup holder. We have a Maclaren Quest stroller (we love it and recommend it because it works from birth to 40lbs, is moderately priced, weighs only 13lbs, easily collapses, and has a small footprint- perfect for travel, small car trunks, and navigating city streets or crowded malls).

Form: The PU is beautiful. All of our TB gear has a black exterior with some type of colorful interior and assorted colors of snake charmers. I opted for the black exterior with ultraviolet interior so that my husband wouldn’t mind carrying the PU and we could easily see inside the bag. If you like colorful exterior options then TB has many of those too.

Finally, the quality of craftsmanship PU will last us through Leila’s diapering years and beyond. I can see this bag becoming my full time purse. You could easily fit an 11inch Macbook Pro or an iPad in the bag. A lot of people might want the PU even if they don’t have babies! I wanted to get my review and pictures out early so that folks could get a preview before they go on sale on Friday. Feel free to ask questions if you have them.

Thank you to Tom Bihn for the opportunity. I love my PU!

Name:  IMG_2131.jpg
Views: 770
Size:  107.9 KBName:  IMG_2132.JPG
Views: 773
Size:  80.0 KBName:  IMG_2135.JPG
Views: 777
Size:  151.4 KBName:  IMG_2159.JPG
Views: 776
Size:  111.8 KB

nsh
    Name:  IMG_2160.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  103.5 KBName:  IMG_2161.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  115.9 KBName:  IMG_2162.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  110.1 KBName:  IMG_2163.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  102.4 KBName:  IMG_2164.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  88.7 KBName:  IMG_2165.jpg
Views: 778
Size:  75.4 KBName:  IMG_2166.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  112.3 KBName:  IMG_2167.jpg
Size:  97.7 KB

nsh
    Name:  IMG_2134.JPG
Size:  111.8 KBName:  IMG_2145.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  154.0 KBName:  IMG_2153.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  151.9 KB

Gorgeous photos! Thanks, @nsh! Is it bad to want one of these if you're not a parent? The configuration makes me think it would make a great crafts/knitting bag, or even a good camera/travel bag.
    Last edited by blackbird; 11-28-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: grammar, always grammar
    Collections:
    EDC for Work: SA (with cache) + CP (with workout gear) + SE
    EDC for Play: SA + SE/CP + SE
    Travel: SA + SE + CP
    Organisation: Large + Medium YSS, Small + Medium DOP, 3DCO, 3DMO, Small WFPC, TT, Q-Kit!
    Favorite TB colors: black dyneema, forest + conifer, wasabi, iberian, olive, burnt orange
    On my wish list: Large WFPC, Snake Charmer, DLBP, Q-Kits + LS (for my crafty sister)

blackbird my girls are way past diapers and I just ordered one in aubergine. I love all the organizsation-options and find the three snap-thingis to devide the middle quite genius.

nsh: So much worth the wait! Great pictures. Thank you for doing this!

nsh
    It is not bad at all that you want it if you aren't a parent! it is a perfect bag for crafts/knitting because there are lots of slots for internal organization built into the bag. It would be a great EDC too because you could use the different zipper parts of the bag for different parts of the day (lunch/gym clothes and small or minimalist sneakers/ipad and pens paper)!

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
    Gorgeous photos! Thanks, @nsh! Is it bad to want one of these if your not a parent? The configuration makes me this it would make a great crafts/knitting bag, and even a camera bag!

nsh
    I am so glad you got it in Aubergine. You re going to LOVE it!
    If i can answer any questions let me know. I am happy to take more pics etc (in between tending to Leila)!
    The bag pairs really well with travel sacks of all sizes too!

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkyway View Post
    blackbird my girls are way past diapers and I just ordered one in aubergine. I love all the organizsation-options and find the three snap-thingis to devide the middle quite genius.

Ilkyway likes this.

how does the SE fit into various pockets?

nsh
    Also, for reference I am 5 ft 7in and my husband is 6ft 1in, Leila is 24inches haha, and the bag fits us really well. The shoulder strap is adjustable and very comfortable.

nsh
    I don't have a side effect but I do have snake charmers and they fit well into the center zipper section. Travel sacks sizes 1,2 and 3 work well and so do the 3d mesh organizer pouches.

Do you have TB-Backpacks? Does it fit in a S25? I know that is not its purpos but I would want it in a backpack for long walks. And also: how flat is it when empty? Would it fit flat in an A45?

Thanks for the hight-references. That helps.

Oh @Ilkyway, how I have missed you, my Aubergine-loving bag soul sister! I also just ordered the PU in Aubergine. Have no kids and no plans whatsoever of carrying diapers around, but love the organization and think the PU would be a great EDC for when I need something more than my SCB or MCB (also because these do not come in Aubergine). And as much as I love my Aubergine CP, am very excited about the PU's less-briefcase like shape. Cannot wait to get it next week!
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Can one of the product testers try a 13" cache inside the PU? Just wondering if a computer could fit if the pockets were unsnapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nsh and Ilkyway like this.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Coyote LS * Wishlist: New 400d Color

nsh
    13in MB retina in TB cache fits into the main compartment when the pockets are unsnapped. Note, the mouth of the PU opening isn't completely big enough so you have to wedge it in but once past the opening it fits with room to spare!

nsh
    I only have an S19 and it won't really fit in that. It is pretty flat and would likely fit into an Aeronaut though I don't have one of those to give you a real assessment. Maybe @Janine would know!

Do you have TB-Backpacks? Does it fit in a S25? I know that is not its purpos but I would want it in a backpack for long walks. And also: how flat is it when empty? Would it fit flat in an A45?

Thanks for the hight-references. That helps.
    Ilkyway likes this.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0