Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree39Likes
  • 24 Post By Leena
  • 2 Post By Janine
  • 12 Post By tpnl
  • 1 Post By Leena

Thread: The Chronic overpacked and the Tri-star

The Chronic overpacked and the Tri-star

I am a bit late posting this but I meant to come back and tell everyone how well I did with a Tri-star. My husband and I did great with the Aeronaut (45) in Europe but before the price increase, I grabbed a Tri-star just in case.

I had 2 months ago to Portland, Oregon and I decided to take the Tri-Star and my Synapse 25 with me. The Synapse 25 was under packed (really just used as my day bag in Portland, carry my laptop) and my Tri-star was packed pretty decently on the way out. I was surprised with the help of packing cube and the packing cube backpack how well it did. My trip was a week long and trust me on previous week long trips, I was packing a bag that had to be checked due to size. So I was a bit worried about taking a bag as small as the Tri-star. On my return trip, I had bought a few items and everything fit in between the Tri-star and my Synapse 25. And no checked bags either way!

The best part was on my return trip, I had a connecting flight and my plane was getting delayed, delayed, delayed (it eventually got cancelled). Once I hit a certain delay point, I saw another flight leaving, called the airline while waiting in line, told them I had no checked bags and asked for a seat on the plane. They got me a seat and I got home that night. While many others were stuck in the connecting city or may have left the connecting city, who knows when their luggage got there.

So thumbs up to the Tri-Star

Whoo hoo! Sounds like the TS and S25 make a great combination, and I'm glad you didn't get stuck at the airport!

How did you carry your laptop when you were on the plane? Was it in your S25, or did you use the middle compartment of the TS?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I hope you were respectful and felt lucky.......

Respectful towards your other passengers and not try to put both bags in the overhead bin since both bags are considered carry-on sized. If you put both in the overhead some other passenger following the rules would then be forced to check a bag. (Putting two non-wheeled bags in the overhead is just as bad as someone who takes an oversized wheeled bag onto the plane.)

Lucky because both bags are equal to carry-on size and normally a second bag the size of a Synapse 25 is bigger than what is usually allowed as a personal item.
    Editor--One Bag, One World: News, Reviews & Community for Light Travelers. http://www.1bag1world.com

Aeronaut(2), Tri-Star(2) Cadet , Large Cafe Bag, Travel Tray, Travel Money Belt, Absolute Straps(3), Side Effect, Clear Quarter Packing Cubes (2), 3D Organizer Cubes (4), Aeronaut & Tri-Star Packing Cubes, Clear Organizer Wallet, numerous Organizer Pouches,, Guardian Dual Function Light, Vertical Netbook Cache, Nexus 7 Cache, RFID Passport Pouch, numerous Key Straps.

Thanks for the reminder about carry-on bag sizes, @Frank II. @Leena has already returned from her trip, but it might help someone else who is planning to carry on a TS and another bag. The rules can be complicated and sometimes it is difficult to keep all the details in mind while you are packing - especially if you are trying out a new bag and are a bit nervous about downsizing.

Going from a rolling bag to a TS is a big jump. Kudos to you for doing it, @Leena!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Interestingly enough, I used this exact combination of TriStar as carry-on and Synapse 25 as personal item on my last business trip (4 day trip) with interesting results.
    It turned out to be even more perfect than I expected.

When they boarded people onto the very small CRJ-100, they said they were gate checking all baggage except people's briefcases (which they assumed was the personal item).
    Well, when they saw my "briefcase looking" TriStar and my slim personal sized Synapse 25, they just let me board with nothing to gate check.

So, the Tri-Star can visually pass as a briefcase when it is actually more of a carry-on.

Note that I verified that the dimensions of my Synapse 25 qualified it as a personal item and the Tri-Star as a carry-on (of course). See pictures below:

Name:  TS_Carry-on_S25_Personal-Item.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  373.2 KBName:  TS_S25.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  243.3 KB

I was able to fit the TriStar in the overhead and the S25 under the seat with ease. When we got off the plane, I did not have to wait for a gate checked bag or anything - first one to the taxi stand with no waiting! Very liberating!

Similar to @Leena, I packed clothes in the TriStar and my 2 laptops (work and personal), accessories and emergency cloths in the Synapse 25. The key to my arrangement was to make sure the S25 was not too packed so it qualifies as a personal item. Having the bags black and "smooth" with no bumps also probably helped the stealth function.

So, adding my thumbs up to @Leena's thumbs up for a synchronized 2 thumbs up for the TriStar (and Synapse 25)!

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 11-29-2014 at 07:56 AM.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Whoo hoo! Sounds like the TS and S25 make a great combination, and I'm glad you didn't get stuck at the airport!

How did you carry your laptop when you were on the plane? Was it in your S25, or did you use the middle compartment of the TS?
    I kept the laptop in my S25. Just because I wanted it with me on the plane (and was able to do some work as well).

Quote Originally Posted by Frank II View Post
    I hope you were respectful and felt lucky.......

Respectful towards your other passengers and not try to put both bags in the overhead bin since both bags are considered carry-on sized. If you put both in the overhead some other passenger following the rules would then be forced to check a bag. (Putting two non-wheeled bags in the overhead is just as bad as someone who takes an oversized wheeled bag onto the plane.)

Lucky because both bags are equal to carry-on size and normally a second bag the size of a Synapse 25 is bigger than what is usually allowed as a personal item.
    I think with backpacks and the fact that my S25 wasn't stuffed, they didn't blink an eye at it. It fit fine under the seat in front of me. I'm too paranoid not to have at least one bag with me so I always have a bag with me at my seat.
    Last edited by Leena; 12-04-2014 at 05:40 AM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0