Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

PACKING CUBE SHOULDER BAG

I've been using my wasabi-coloured packing cube shoulder bag for a couple of days now, testing it for my forthcoming 8-week round-the-world trip of a lifetime. I love the bag, and it has drawn many admiring glances. I've put a Muji inner bag organiser inside it to keep my precious items under control, and added a leather strap with brass clips that I already had made to fit me. I love the bag's lightness and feeling of strength, although my companion for the trip is worried that it might be more vulnerable to theft-by-slashing than her Pacsafe bag, which has metal mesh in the lining and the strap. She can lock her zips, and so can I by clipping the zips into one of the clips on my strap, and her bag is far heavier than mine.

Is Dyneema easy to slash?

Just one suggestion for future development: the external zip pocket would be so much easier to use if it were horizontal, not diagonal. My things keep falling out as I try to do up the zip!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by dunlace View Post
    I've been using my wasabi-coloured packing cube shoulder bag for a couple of days now, testing it for my forthcoming 8-week round-the-world trip of a lifetime. I love the bag, and it has drawn many admiring glances. I've put a Muji inner bag organiser inside it to keep my precious items under control, and added a leather strap with brass clips that I already had made to fit me. I love the bag's lightness and feeling of strength, although my companion for the trip is worried that it might be more vulnerable to theft-by-slashing than her Pacsafe bag, which has metal mesh in the lining and the strap. She can lock her zips, and so can I by clipping the zips into one of the clips on my strap, and her bag is far heavier than mine.

Is Dyneema easy to slash?

Just one suggestion for future development: the external zip pocket would be so much easier to use if it were horizontal, not diagonal. My things keep falling out as I try to do up the zip!
    Welcome to the forums @dunlace. You asked whether Dyneema is easy to slash. Here's a quote from Tom describing the original Packing Cube Shoulder Bag in 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bihn View Post
    We are about to introduce another packing cube: it's the same as the all-Dyneema End Cube, with the addition of a flat zippered front/side pocket and attachment points for a shoulder strap.
    The idea: after you reach your destination, it converts from a packing cube to an out-on-the-town shoulder bag. Weighs next to nothing, yet the Dyneema fabric makes it close to slash-proof.
    It doesn't un-zip completely like the non-convertible version, but otherwise functions the same as the other packing cubes.
    Look for it in June 2007!
    If you read down that parent thread (either by following the link to the post or by clicking the arrow to the right of the "Originally posted by" section), you'll see some links to the old Wikipedia articles about Dyneema. FYI Dyneema is also used in bullet-proof vests and personal body armor.

The diagonal zipper makes it easier to insert larger items (like guide books) into the front pocket. You might try inserting a medium size Double Organizer Pouch into that front pocket. It will act as a stiffener for the front zippered pocket section, and is also very handy for carrying travel documents, postcards, or receipts, since it features both a clear section and a back closed zippered section. You can read more uses of the Double Organizer Pouch in the blog post, and by following the links there to @taminca's longer discussion thread. Here's a sample picture of a medium Double Organizer Pouch in 500d Cayenne Cordura with a postcard pack in the front (clear) zippered pocket, lying on top of a Steel 400d Dyneema Packing Cube Shoulder Bag from this post in a thread intended to help users identify colors of their DOPs:

BTW, you should definitely order a couple of Double Carabiner Clips from the Accessories Parts Page so you can use your PCSB as a seat pocket bag while you travel. The pictures in the post I linked to about Double Carabiner Clips shows this arrangement for my Side Effect, but it's also used with the PCSB. See, for example, the rightmost picture in @weirdguy's post this weekend about traveling with his Navy/Solar Aeronaut 45 and accessories. That's a Nordic 400d Dyneema PCSB secured to the seat pocket with Double Carabiner clips, and holding his water, passports, and other items.

You can read more about this in @Ms. Ferret's Side Effect + S-Biners as seat pocket bag thread.

HTH. moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 10-06-2014 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added pictures and links for Double Organzier Pouch and Double Carabiners

You might also consider using a PacSafe shoulder strap instead of your leather one. It is slashproof and has a locking mechanism for the connection points. I'm short (5'1") and found the regular strap a too long for my liking so I used the one designed for the camera, but this was really pushing it on being too short. REI usually carries this strap in stock if you wanted to take a look at it. It's pretty hefty and maybe a little overkill on a PCSB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0