Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Darcy
  • 3 Post By Pokilani

Thread: Caution about Standard Shoulder Strap

Caution about Standard Shoulder Strap

I just returned from a 4-day business trip with my Pilot. I had used it several times before for day use, but nothing strenuous. I had my camera, a water bottle, my music player, and a few odds and ends in the Pilot, which I was carrying by the shoulder strap, cross-body style. As was lifting the strap over my head to sit at a restaurant table, the bag fell to the floor. The plastic piece that holds the webbing had broken right at the hole where the swivel hook attaches, allowing the clip to pull out of the hole. I'd be curious if anyone else has had a problem with the plastic hardware on the standard strap breaking.

I'm sure the folks at Tom Bihn will rectify it, and I'll call them tomorrow. But I don't have a lot of confidence in this particular strap at this point.
    Last edited by Ravelyn; 09-21-2014 at 02:17 PM.

Ooh, that stinks. I have to say though, it sounds like something in that plastic piece was defective and not the whole strap. I'm sure that the plastic components go through a battery of quality control tests but surely a few slip through the cracks. It's good that none of your stuff was damaged, and I don't think you should worry about the general quality of the Standard Strap. What you describe hasn't ever happened to me and I am not particularly careful with my bags--it sounds like your experience was a case of bad luck. Others may have differing opinions, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have four those straps and have not had any issues what so ever. I actually prefer the plastic snap hooks to the metal counterpart, but I believe the Duraflex snap hooks are made in China .

TOM BIHN Crew (we work here) Darcy's Avatar
    Badger's right: the parts we use go through a variety of testing. And even with the very best parts, there's a chance that one out of many might be defective in some way. It sounds like you had a defective clip, and I'm really sorry about that. It's probably not comforting that you were the 1 out of 2000 (or whatever it may be -- I think the first time I've heard of one of those clips breaking), except in that this shouldn't happen again with the replacement strap we've sent, or that I assume we've sent.... did you already give us a call and did we help with that?
    Current Carry: Skookum Dog Citizen Canine prototype, Founder's Briefcase (every day carry), Small Cafe Bag (every day carry), Shop Bags (groceries, extra random stuff), Aeronaut 45 (travel), Synapse 19 (day hikes), Smart Alec (longer day hikes), Skookum Dog Road Duffel (Medium) (travel), Clear Organizer Wallet, Travel Stuff Sacks, Organizer Cubes

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    ... except in that this shouldn't happen again with the replacement strap we've sent, or that I assume we've sent.... did you already give us a call and did we help with that?
    It's service like this that makes me proud to spend my hard earned money on TB stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0