Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By BarryLee
  • 1 Post By itsablur
  • 8 Post By monkeylady
  • 1 Post By Janine
  • 1 Post By Rocks

Thread: sweaty using dyneema backpack

sweaty using dyneema backpack

Does anyone else notice that in heat the dyneema bag really causes one to perspire and feel overheated? And is it just the packing cube backpacks? or the synapses too?

I have the Synapse 25 in Dyneema and use it as a day bag/travel bag and generally never have it on for more than maybe thirty minutes max. In general I’ve never really gotten sweaty, but I will agree it doesn’t have the ventilation of some other bags. I think the issue is less about the actual fabric and more about the back panel. For me it’s no biggie since I have other packs with molded back panels that provide a little more ventilation for extended hikes, but I suppose it depends on how you intend to use the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by meekasmom View Post
    Does anyone else notice that in heat the dyneema bag really causes one to perspire and feel overheated? And is it just the packing cube backpacks? or the synapses too?
    I think you'd see a big difference between a PCBP and a Dyneema Synapse because the Synapse has an actual back panel which should help absorb and ventilate the heat. Wearing a ballistic Aeronaut in the dead of summer or in tropical climates for long distances in backpack mode, you can bet your bottom dollar your back will be sweaty (I know mine sure can be).

So, long story short, I don't know if it's just the Dyneema alone; I don't think any of the main external fabrics will breathe well on their own. Hence why all the true backpacks have a different back panel than just more fabric.
    eWalker likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Let's face it. Anything on your back in the heat makes you sweaty. Even my S25. Frankly, it's one of the things I hate about backpacks in the tropics, but there's no getting around it. Just gotta go with the flow...of sweat.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Let's face it. Anything on your back in the heat makes you sweaty. Even my S25. Frankly, it's one of the things I hate about backpacks in the tropics, but there's no getting around it. Just gotta go with the flow...of sweat.
    Yup. It has everything to do with how much the back padding sticks to your back. The more stuff in your bag, the bigger you are, the stiffer the padding, the more likely it will cling. #backpacklife

On this topic, I had a cordura backpack virtually shred the back of my t-shirt last week. I was carrying around 15#s actively but not for an unreasonably long time. Is this just a friction by-product of any cordura backpack? Any tips to minimize future wardrobe malfunctions from folks who hike?
    ~ one of virtually everything ~ Happy victim of Tom Bihn mind control

As a lifelong backpack wearer, I don't get the sweaty back comments. That's just #backpacklife, as @adalangdon commented. You wear the pack, it's hot outside so you sweat, you take off the pack, your back dries. Yesterday I carried my S25 for about 3 hours, during which time I biked 5 miles and walked around at an art fair. I was sweaty, but so was everyone else because it was 85 degrees outside.

As for shredding a shirt, that's so far outside my experience that I wonder if it was the pack or another factor. I carry Cordura packs all the time. I wear my DLBP all day long and bike with it. My shirts are all cotton or cotton blends. None of them show wear on the back or the shoulders.
    Last edited by Janine; 08-17-2014 at 06:09 AM.
    terayon likes this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

@RhoFro,
    I'm totally intrigued!
    Could we have pics of the shredded T-shirt by any chance?
    Although I think it's more likely you would have trashed it already.

Some questions:
    1) which backpack was it?
    2) did you feel uncomfortablw while wearing the backpack?
    3) did you get abrasions on your back?
    4) have you looked at the backing of your backpack? Does it seem funny to you? Or perhaps feel more abrasive than it should be?
    5) what T-shirt was it?
    6) were you hauling something pointy?

A sweaty back is a small price to pay for comfortable two strap carry. I love backpacks in winter because it's like having a little heater strapped to your back.
    I used to use a cordura Timbuk2 messenger bag a that pilled my shirts and hoodies. My Synaspes don't do that though.
    Janine likes this.

I agree, it's just #backpacklife. That's why many active backpacks have different designs of back panels e.g. extra foam to create air channels, or a frame that actually keeps the bag off most of your bag (I think I also saw a stand-alone back-panel frame you could attach to a backpack to do the same thing, could have been on Kickstarter or somewhere on the web).

Since moving to a more tropical climate though, I've reinstated my Crumpler messenger (until I find a better one - missed the last batch of steel dyneema Pilots because I wanted to wait and see if a replacement for the Imago would show up...). Still trialling it at the moment though as a combined daypack & diaper bag.

So far though, I have it hanging on the stroller than on me, because I'm wary of my past experiences with it. Like @Rocks, it also pilled a lot of my shirts, hoodies, fine merino jumpers etc - specifically near the bottom at the back (carried messenger style) or side (carried over-the-shoulder), due to the constant rubbing as a result of hips/waist twisting while walking and/or the bag bouncing around. I reduced this somewhat by tightening the strap and carrying it higher up on my back, but that also increases the amount of contact on your back...

The Synapse is great as the lower back portion is made out of nylon, which is nice and slippery and as per the product page, is "gentle on your clothing". I have considered hacking my Crumpler to sew on a nylon patch across the back/bottom of the bag, but never tried it due to my non-existent sewing skills.

Back to backpacks - I don't recall having clothing damaged so bad by a backpack I've used to call it being "shredded" as @RhoFro describes. Perhaps some minor pilling at the bottom of some clothing? But nothing notable unlike my messenger bag experience.

TLDR:
    Backpacks = sweat, regardless of material. How much and how quickly you sweat I think depends on a combination of factors, such as climate, what activity you're doing, your propensity to sweat, how heavy your load is, how you pack your bag, how you position your bag etc.

Whoa that reply was longer than I planned... sorry!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0