Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 51
Like Tree219Likes

Thread: Night Fever!

  1. #1
    Registered User Janine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lexington KY USA
    Posts
    970

    Night Fever!

    Talk about good timing...I pulled up behind the UPS guy just as he pulled up in front of my house! My new Night Flight (which I call my "Night Fever" because that's funnier :-) was only on the porch for 30 seconds before I snatched it up.

    Initial impressions:

    1. I originally bought this as a camera bag but I'm iffy on whether this is how I will end up using the NF. The padded inserts velcro to a fuzzy, stiff pad that lays in the main compartment. The stiff pad is removable. The padded inserts are a little fiddly, but no more than any other bag that employs repositionable dividers. I think I would have preferred a padded cube with padded bottom that slides down into the main compartment, sort of a mini square I/O. I'll test it out and take some pictures tonight and maybe it works great, but my first impression is unfavorable.

    2. The woman who modeled the bag in the video must be a pixie.

    3. The packing cubes are adorable.

    4. I need to beg the TB crew for a Navy/UV version. Navy/Wasabi is nice, but my heart really wants Navy/UV.

    5. I THINK THIS WILL BE A STELLAR BIKE BAG! I just need to work out how to fasten it to my bike rack. Oh my google! (No offense, @teresapoet!)

    6. You could carry a respectable watermelon in the main compartment.

    7. You will probably have to flatten your toilet paper rolls to get them to fit well in the side compartments.

    8. I was clued in about the small size be previous posts, but I didn't realize how truly awesome a cube-like main compartment would be. This is going to be a handy and versatile bag!

    I should have time to take pictures tonight. The kids are going to the pool with the grands and Mr. Janine has a meeting. It's the perfect night for a hot date with a new TB bag. :-D
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

  2. #2
    Volunteer Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Honolulu, HI
    Posts
    2,404
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    6. You could carry a respectable watermelon in the main compartment.
    @Janine With apologies to @icebeng (and the Daylignt Backpack thread [#152]), your "respectable watermelon" would probably only fit the NFTD if it looked like this:
    Name:  enhanced-buzz-12482-1403826540-19.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  112.1 KB

    Irreverently,
    HTH moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 08-07-2014 at 12:16 PM.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    112
    2. The woman who modeled the bag in the video must be a pixie.
    Funny you say that I remember watching the original video thinking how large the bag appeared. However, when you actually look at the size of the items she’s adding/removing you realize the bag is really a little smaller than it initially appeared. I actually really like the overall look of the bag, but at that price point I’m just not sure I can justify it right now. Of course you never know…
    Janine and Fever39 like this.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    4. I need to beg the TB crew for a Navy/UV version. Navy/Wasabi is nice, but my heart really wants Navy/UV.
    I thought the same thing about the Steel - I would LOVE a UV interior. But I almost hope TB doesn't make it, because I don't need two Steel NFTDs in my collection, and my Steel/Steel bag is en route.

    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    5. I THINK THIS WILL BE A STELLAR BIKE BAG! I just need to work out how to fasten it to my bike rack. Oh my google!
    What a FANTASTIC idea! All the more incentive to get a rack on my bike.
    Janine likes this.

  5. #5
    Registered User Jeff A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    209
    On a related note, check out the Side Effect attached to bike handlebars, works great!!

    Side Effect as a Handlebar Bag

    NFTD-on-a-bike sounds better, haha! I use my S25, too, when biking. Looking forward to seeing pics of your NFTD with the dividers
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

  6. #6
    Registered User Janine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lexington KY USA
    Posts
    970
    Name:  14669671030_c4feef7132_z.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  64.8 KB

    What is in that lovely blue bag?!?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

  7. #7
    Registered User Janine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lexington KY USA
    Posts
    970
    Name:  14876252863_dafd2f2369_z.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  126.4 KB

    Why, it's a watermelon of respectable size and two rolls of toilet paper!

    (For reference, this is not the same watermelon from my DLBP photos, but it is approximately the same size.)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

  8. #8
    Registered User Janine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lexington KY USA
    Posts
    970
    Or, if you aren't in the mood for watermelon,

    Name:  14669840377_426f9868a7_z.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  86.1 KB

    you can fit 6 rolls of toilet paper in the NFTD without squashing any of them.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

  9. #9
    Registered User Janine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lexington KY USA
    Posts
    970
    I initially bought the NFTD because I thought it would be a marvelously versatile camera bag. I still think that's true, but not in quite the way I expected.

    I am not in love with the padded inserts or the stiff pad that lines the main compartment. I tried a few different configurations and this is what I liked best:

    Name:  14876244143_94353e2791_z.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  130.1 KB

    The camera was stowed moderately securely in the center of the main compartment. There is some space around it that could be used for other items. It's not a very efficient way to pack and I doubt I would ever carry my camera this way. I think I could pack better if I understood how the inserts were designed to work together. There are two long/tall ones, which I take are meant to be sides, and two shorter ones that I take are meant to be crosswise dividers. The shorter ones don't have velcro all around, and one has a flap, and in the 15 minutes I played with the dividers, I never had an a-ha moment where their intentions became clear.

    I think I'm going to be a lot happier with an Ape Case insert like @ncb4 uses but I would be thoroughly ecstatic if there was a square I/O that simply dropped into the NF. That would rock me like a hurricane.

    ETA: My camera is a Nikon D3100 and I lurve it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

  10. #10
    Registered User Janine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lexington KY USA
    Posts
    970
    If you were planning on running away from home, the NF will fit in the scoop of your tractor.

    Name:  tractor.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  84.2 KB
    Last edited by Janine; 08-08-2014 at 07:43 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

  11. #11
    Registered User Janine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lexington KY USA
    Posts
    970
    Or, if you are planning an exciting trip by bicycle, your NF can ride along.

    Name:  bike_side.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  143.3 KB

    I've secured the NF with one bungee thought the rearmost triangular strap ring, around the seat post, and through the foremost triangular strap ring. Another bungee goes across the top of the bag and anchors on either side. I realized after I uploaded the picture that I didn't give you a good look at where the bungees are anchored. Sorry about that.

    Name:  bike_back.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  141.5 KB

    Here's what the NF looks like from below.

    Name:  bike_bottom.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  96.4 KB

    If you choose to ride with it like this, it's definitely going to get grungy. Fenders will intercept most of the muck but there will be stray flecks of mud and road gunk on the bag eventually - especially if you ride in the rain or shortly after it rains.

    I like it! I don't think I'll end up carrying the NF this way very often, but I like that doing so is an option. This is just the crappy rack that came on my low-end bike. If you have a different/larger bike rack, the NF might fit better.
    Last edited by Janine; 08-08-2014 at 07:45 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

  12. #12
    Registered User Janine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lexington KY USA
    Posts
    970
    To recap my adventures with my new NF:

    1. Camera bag? Not without a better insert.

    2. Bike bag? Strong maybe.

    3. Watermelon carrier? It's a better selection than the Daylight.

    4. Toilet paper carrier? Go with the Daylight - you can carry one more roll and it will be lighter and more comfortable.

    5. I hate the padded liner in the main compartment. Thank goodness it is removable. It does help give the bag shape and protects your cargo, but I do NOT like the way it creases in the corners. A line of stitching at the fold lines would have made a big aesthetic difference without affecting its ability to shape and protect. And...it reminds me of a gigantic maxipad. Ew.

    6. As a carry-on personal bag, if you weren't carrying a laptop? Fantastic choice!

    7. As an overnight or short trip bag, just to hold clothes and toiletries? Excellent idea! If I have time over the weekend, I'll test pack to see how much it can hold. As the watermelon demonstrated, the cube-like interior is larger than it appears.

    8. As an EDC for a commuter? Depends on whether you need ready access to all the contents. The handles snap together over the main compartment and it is not a quick motion to fasten them. The side pockets can be easily zipped and unzipped, so as long as you were just grabbing your phone or wallet from them, you'd be fine. Or if you rode a train and could take a moment to unsnap/unzip/grab/rezip/resnap to fish out whatever you wanted from inside the main compartment, you'd be fine. Trying to grab your energy bar out of the main compartment while driving...not recommended.

    9. Will I keep it? Probably. Unlike the Daylight and S25 and Pilot and Aeronaut, which I think are pretty much spot-on, the NF feels like it still needs some tweaking. I really like it but I'm not sure how much I will use it, or how much its role as an overnighter overlaps with my beloved Pilot. The Pilot, which can carry my laptop and/or clothing, seems like a more practical bag for the business traveler (which I am). The NF might appeal more to an adventurer (which I aspire to be).
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    To recap my adventures with my new NF:

    1. Camera bag? Not without a better insert.

    2. Bike bag? Strong maybe.

    3. Watermelon carrier? It's a better selection than the Daylight.

    4. Toilet paper carrier? Go with the Daylight - you can carry one more roll and it will be lighter and more comfortable.

    5. I hate the padded liner in the main compartment. Thank goodness it is removable. It does help give the bag shape and protects your cargo, but I do NOT like the way it creases in the corners. A line of stitching at the fold lines would have made a big aesthetic difference without affecting its ability to shape and protect. And...it reminds me of a gigantic maxipad. Ew.

    6. As a carry-on personal bag, if you weren't carrying a laptop? Fantastic choice!

    7. As an overnight or short trip bag, just to hold clothes and toiletries? Excellent idea! If I have time over the weekend, I'll test pack to see how much it can hold. As the watermelon demonstrated, the cube-like interior is larger than it appears.

    8. As an EDC for a commuter? Depends on whether you need ready access to all the contents. The handles snap together over the main compartment and it is not a quick motion to fasten them. The side pockets can be easily zipped and unzipped, so as long as you were just grabbing your phone or wallet from them, you'd be fine. Or if you rode a train and could take a moment to unsnap/unzip/grab/rezip/resnap to fish out whatever you wanted from inside the main compartment, you'd be fine. Trying to grab your energy bar out of the main compartment while driving...not recommended.

    9. Will I keep it? Probably. Unlike the Daylight and S25 and Pilot and Aeronaut, which I think are pretty much spot-on, the NF feels like it still needs some tweaking. I really like it but I'm not sure how much I will use it, or how much its role as an overnighter overlaps with my beloved Pilot. The Pilot, which can carry my laptop and/or clothing, seems like a more practical bag for the business traveler (which I am). The NF might appeal more to an adventurer (which I aspire to be).
    quick question, which aeronaut do you use?
    Currently Owning: Synapse19[Black Codura/Wasabi] - Accessories

  14. #14
    Registered User Janine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lexington KY USA
    Posts
    970
    Quote Originally Posted by Fever39 View Post
    quick question, which aeronaut do you use?
    The A45. I have a Steel Dyneema one and I love it, but I understand why someone might like the extra structure that Ballistic provides.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

  15. #15
    Registered User cucciasv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Garnet Valley, PA
    Posts
    126
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Name:  14876252863_dafd2f2369_z.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  126.4 KB

    Why, it's a watermelon of respectable size and two rolls of toilet paper!

    (For reference, this is not the same watermelon from my DLBP photos, but it is approximately the same size.)
    WALL-E!!!

    Wait... Never mind.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0