Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree252Likes

Thread: Night Fever!

OMG, Janine, your son is sooooo cute!
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I agree...what a cutie!

Thanks! I think he's pretty cute, too. I need to feature his brother in the next video. Poor Oscar is just a voice in the background right now!
    Ilkyway likes this.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Ah. I was trying to surround my camera with padding but your setup is different. Do you think the camera body and lens will be okay with padding on one side and a pocket on the other?

I have to confess that I'm a cameratard. I have no idea how durable a camera is, so I try to treat mine gently. I would be thrilled to find out that it is sturdier than I imagine. It would take a load of my mind, actually.
    It all depends on what you place in the pocket next to the camera body. I'll likely have a filter wallet and extra batteries in the pocket. As long as you aren't careless with your bag you should be ok. If you want more protection, you could slide some extra padding in the pocket or next to the camera.
    Janine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Nocticron... <DROOL> How do you like it? I just can't find that money in my bank account currently...
    Very sharp images from this lens, but you do pay a hefty price for it. I'm still getting used to the focal length, as the 12-35mm is on the camera 90% of the time, but I'm liking it a lot so far.

Super Moderator
    My Night Flight arrived by UPS shortly ago -- earlier in the day than UPS usually hits, which is nice.

SOME IMPRESSIONS, IN LITTLE ORDER:

1) Beautiful -- feels like I'd expected or better. (Black 1050 nylon, steel dynema lining). One regret: I should have ordered Wasabi or Ultraviolet lining. This will be great underneath the seat in front of me, or as "passenger" on a solo road trip, as an overqualified day-jaunt city bag, etc. Bravo.

2) Tiny. I haven't taken the tape measure, and I don't actually doubt it meets the 9x10x17 spec -- it just is small, esp. compared to (say) the Aeronaut I've already got.

3) I like the foam liner; I might try playing with other ways to achieve structure, but for now I am pleased with it. Wouldn't mind that it my larger bags, too!

4) Packing:
    Some examples and anecdotes:

One ideal use case that I'd like to be able to pack for is this: a quick trip, by car or plane, one or two overnights, where the NF is an overnight bag for clothes, toiletries, reading material, phone, wallet, keys, etc. For most trips I've made or anticipate making, I'd expect to have another bag, but for instance, when I fly I'd like my smaller carryon to have what I'd need to be comfortable for a day if I'm forced (or if it just makes sense) to check the other, even if it's carry-on capable. Belt and suspenders approach, but only by analogy. Not packing both belt and suspenders.

- The central compartment ("large" would be overreaching) is enough to hold one day's worth of warm-weather casual clothes for me. (Jeans or cargo shorts, boxers, T-shirt, socks; maybe an oxford shirt as well.)

- Marmot Precip shell (Men's Large) wads into a bundle that fills (no stuffing required, no bulging into central pocket) about half of one end-pocket. Very nice. Cocoon travel sheets in their stuff sack fit in the same pocket, easily / no stuffing on those, either.

- North Face jacket (I think it's the "Varius Guide Jacket"), also Men's L, can be coerced into an end pocket, but that *does* bulge well into the central compartment. And nothing else is going in that pocket, either -- doubt I could squeeze in one thin glove. If that jacket bulges the bag past the demands of an airline's size-testing box, I could always take out the jacket and wear it aboard. So, for weather where a jacket more serious than the Precip is called, I could either sub in the North Face jacket, or use both end pockets, to include a thin fleece or a thin wool sweater. With a t-shirt, a warm inner layer, and my Precip, I think I could handle Alcatraz in winter pretty well. But that's easy to say when sitting in the AC in hot-as-Texas Texas.

- the small Double Organizer Pouch fits fine into an end compartment, even into the inner (non-zipping) pocket inside. However, though it will squeeze in there, it's not as good a fit in the mesh pocket on the flap of the central compartment. The medium one does not sit well even on the biggest flat portion of the central compartment, though it could be laid moderately flat (but not *very* straight) across the top layer of a packed bag. Not a good place to store the Mona Lisa, but for receipts it'll do.

- Kindle paperwhite in a neoprene case fits nicely, as top layer, laying flat, or on edge, just inside and parallel to the panel where the label is.

- Bihn wallet fits well into the endmost (small) pocket.

5) A few improvements I'd like to see in a Mk II (mostly mentioned in other threads by others):

- grab handles either moved or added to. Certainly not terrible as-is -- I like the way a grab handle's been added without adding bulk -- but rather than just one entry point (With bag sitting on its obvious bottom, reach down to floor, curl hand up to find pocket), I'd like to see at least one more (from the top instead of the bottom). Even better, a quad of them, in a cross, so it's easy to grab and yank the bag out no matter what orientation it gets pulled into. (And reinforced, so this is also a good lashing point.) (Despite underseat-of-plane dimensions, it's going to be on buses, in cars, and jammed into some overhead compartments, too ...)

- I like the slim, outermost pockets (on the outside of the end compartments), and that they're zippered. (Glad that's the case on the new Aeronauts, wish it was true for mine.) Speaking of which: Would like to see one more zippered pocket, right there the label is, and taking up most / all of that panel (see image below). Why a pocket there? For airport purposes is what I'm thinking -- that's where I'd want to put my keys (on a key strap, on an O-ring), my boarding pass, my phone, and all the small things that magically appear in my pocket just before each performance of Security Theater.

- More O-rings, specifically one in each of the end-most (slim) pockets. That's where I'd rather put my keys, say, given the complement of pockets in the bag.

- One more strap-holder doohickey (what's the official term?) just above the label (and below the zipper, in my hypothetical below), or perhaps the same triangular clip as on the current Brain Bag. Not assigned to any strap -- rather, a place to clip last minute clippable things -- water bottle, or anything else that takes a carabiner.

- The idea I like best: While I know the Night Flight is more of a conventional duffel, and neither sold nor advertised as a backpack, it would great worn as a backpack, even if only for temporary use. (helping someone else with a heavy bag, or going down a narrow aisle, or just to free one's hands to take a picture, etc). To that end, what I'd like to see are attachment points so that it *could* be worn like this -- it's a nice size for a "Klettersack" style bag, even if it's not as slender as that usually would mean. (Would make a cool backpack for a very spoiled child, too ) When I visited Petra for a day a few years ago, I was carrying a checkpoint flyer, and most of the day wished I could wear it securely on both shoulders rather than cross-body. No need for the whole clever strap-hiding of the Aeronaut / Tri-Star -- just a place to attach some simple straps, and TB could sell as an option a set with the Neoprene pad of the Ultimate strap. No one (I say again, no one!) would ever be forced to use them. Having a few more attachment points would also be good as a place to string packs together if waiting at an airport, or to attach a bag to a laptop security cable at an outdoor cafe in Paris, Las Vegas, or Timbuktu.

Here's my GIMP'd approach (illustrating my ideas for backpack strap attachment points and a zippered pocket on the label panel): Name:  nightflighttravelduffle-tim-mods.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  54.3 KB
    Last edited by timothy; 08-12-2014 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Clarified picture description

I've been thinking about getting one of these bags. We do frequent overnight trips to the in-laws house and this bag would likely be perfect for me as an overnight bag. I'm torn between this and an A30.

They aren't really comparable, in my experience as the A30 is fifty percent larger and holds so many more big things (like shoes). They'd work very well together on a big trip. If I had to choose one to keep (or buy) it would be the A30. Hands down.

<doh> When I saw the picture in post #36 last night, I did not realize it was photoshopped. I looked at it, and said hey, that's a bonus- I didn't realize there was a zippered pocket on the LONG side. Feel so silly now.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian , SE in black/iberian and coyote/steel, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz in black and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps. Still waiting for the perfect weekender bag.

One comment about the Night Flight with its padded liner. I have not seen anyone exploit this yet, but since it is hook and loop (velcro) compatible so that the padded divider can attach to the walls, it seems as if one could use the space on the inner walls to attach a host of hook and loop type accessories. And I think there might be some interesting options for additional organizational or decorative type possibilities. I just throw the suggestion out there...
    Janine and Ilkyway like this.

Super Moderator
    <doh> When I saw the picture in post #36 last night, I did not realize it was photoshopped. I looked at it, and said hey, that's a bonus- I didn't realize there was a zippered pocket on the LONG side. Feel so silly now.
    Heh - I'll take that as a compliment But not Photoshopped: GIMP'd (gimp.org) -- Free software and all, must plug it That alteration did work out a bit nicer than I had any right to expect, glad to hear it gave a double take.

If only I could intercept the orders that go to the sewing room and get my own custom bags just by saying so ...

I was using "photoshopped" as a generic like give me a Kleenex or make a xerox. What an excellent job you did, I thought that was the real product!!
    So far: LS in black dyneema/iberian , SE in black/iberian and coyote/steel, SSB in black dyneema, Vintage Buzz in black and numerous pouches, 3D cubes, straps. Still waiting for the perfect weekender bag.

Super Moderator
    Oh, I know -- purely an excuse to point out GIMP as a tool! Every kid should have it on their computer

That zipper is just the zipper above it (on the same bag) pasted in twice, with the zipper pull from the one on the right. The extra attachment points are from an Aeronaut, as I recall. It's amazing how much the brain does to fool us -- look close, and it's very obvious, but at a glance, we fill in all the details and it just looks normal.

I forgot to put in the other attachment point I mentioned for the panel with the label, or to add a night-flight appropriate spot for a strobe light and whistle.
    Janine likes this.

My night flight arrived just a little while ago. My UPS person likes to drive me crazy by making all deliveries after 6 pm. It's COYOTE!!!!!

Yikes, this thing is TINY . I mean everybody says that, but I was thinking yeah right, how tiny could it be. Its pretty tiny on first opening. The outer pockets were sort of tucked in, and I pulled those out, and its still pretty small. The middle compartment is smaller than I thought and the end compartments are larger than I thought. I was practice packing, and was able to get a clear quarter cube in one end compartment (toiletries) and an Eagle Creek half cube in the other (jammies and slippers). I could also get a pair of Croc ballet shoes in an end pocket in lieu of anything else, I could also fit them in the main compartment (size 7).

I'm not getting why there are 4 o rings in the main compartment but none on the end slim pockets where I'd want to have an organizer pouch.

I can only fit a rolled pair of jeans /diagonally/ into the main compartment. If I was using this as an overnight bag, I could easily pack several tops, but likely not a pair of pants with the other stuff I'd want to pack. I'm a womens size small/size 8 typically.

An Eagle Creek specter half compression cube fits /perfectly/ in the main compartment (I think its 10 x 7). Two of them stacked would fit with a little room left over for odds and ends or a pair of sandals if you have small feet. The mesh compartment in the "lid" is perfect for that clear mini organizer pouch I bought (for earrings) and scarves/other accessories.

I'm going to play with it a little more tomorrow before deciding if I'm keeping it. If it were just 2 inches or so longer in the main compartment, there'd be nothing to think about but its /just/ at that edge of too small to be usable.

Super Moderator
    First trip with the night flight as passenger-seat companion, and it's going a great job -- certainly wasn't intended as a food-dispensing bag, I know, but it (among other things) makes a good holder for my celery stick container, which therefore didn't flop over and spill, which has been the usual case before Travel pillow, eye shades, ear plugs, rain jacket, kindle, all gathered in a single grabbable spot. Digging it
    Last edited by timothy; 08-19-2014 at 10:28 AM. Reason: spello
    Janine and Ilkyway like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast