Like Tree21Likes
  • 19 Post By Pokilani
  • 1 Post By Holly
  • 1 Post By Holly

Thread: A virgin no more...

A virgin no more...

As I mentioned in other posts, my A30 and other products are now in my possession. This is a very short packing review of my new A30. Sorry, picture quality is pretty poor as my regular camera is currently broken. I'm going to London in two weeks. While it is for work, I do not need to dress professionally. I work in academia and while I have a tendency to dress well during the academic year, it really wouldn't matter if I just wore jeans everyday. During this trip I will be busy putting together a 9-day study abroad program for a group of first year students interested in the biological sciences (think every field in this area, such as biology, zoology, psychology, botany, neuroscience, etc).
    Here is what I'm packing:
    4 shirts
    1 cardigan
    1 cami
    1 nightshirt
    2 bottoms (skirt, skinny jeans)
    3 underthings
    1 swimsuit
    1 waterproof jacket
    (All the above in a Magellan packing cube)
    3-1-1 bag (not everything in this bag is liquid)
    Makeup, brushes, hair clips, bandaids, foot powder (in a Tumi accessory bag)
    1 pair of sandals (Size 3 TSS)
    iPad mini
    Power adapter, cord, UK plug (in TT)
    Messenger bag (underneath the iPad)
    RFID Wallet/Passport holder, tissue, gum, earplugs, earbuds, iphone, lip balm, pen (all in a 3DFOC)
    I still need to add a water bottle

Name:  Stuff.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  29.2 KB

This is everything in the A30. It is not even close to full. Below the packing cube is the messenger bag. Above it is the Tumi accessory case with the 3DFOC and TT on top of it. The 3-1-1 is in the zipper pocket. I’ll be TSA Pre on the way there so I shouldn’t have to access it for security. There is lots of space in the right side pocket because my shoes are really small (sandals are a size 4.5). The left pocket only contains my iPad.

Name:  Packed.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  26.5 KB

All closed up:

Name:  Closed.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  22.5 KB

I also added a metal double carabiner to the right handle in case I want to clip it to something. I do have a strap (Op/Tech SOS), but I’m planning on using it in backpack mode.

Name:  Carabiner.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  26.1 KB
    Last edited by Pokilani; 08-01-2014 at 09:26 PM.

Nicely done! I like the carabiner to provide more attachment options. Do you plan to use the backpack strap compartment at all to store paper items (for example) or anything else? I always use that section as flat storage.

Congrats @Pokilani! That looks like it all packed up really well. Are you truly one-bagging it on this trip, or do you have something else for a personal item on the plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Nicely done! I like the carabiner to provide more attachment options. Do you plan to use the backpack strap compartment at all to store paper items (for example) or anything else? I always use that section as flat storage.
    When you use it in that manner, do you always keep the backpack straps out? I never even really considered it as usable space since I often flip between backpack and hand carry modes. Perhaps if I had something more rigid than a stack of papers (or at least put them in something more rigid). Still, that's an interesting concept.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Holly View Post
    Do you plan to use the backpack strap compartment at all to store paper items (for example) or anything else? I always use that section as flat storage.
    I don't know yet. This is my first TB bag, but I imagine I could do that. I'll likely collect a folder of materials while I'm there so I'll definitely test that out.

I forgot one item--my REI microfiber towel. Fits in the cube, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Congrats @Pokilani! That looks like it all packed up really well. Are you truly one-bagging it on this trip, or do you have something else for a personal item on the plane?

When you use it in that manner, do you always keep the backpack straps out? I never even really considered it as usable space since I often flip between backpack and hand carry modes. Perhaps if I had something more rigid than a stack of papers (or at least put them in something more rigid). Still, that's an interesting concept.
    itsablur, when I need the extra space for papers, a slim jacket, or similar, I will use the Backpack compartment in both instances (when I'm using the straps or not). When not using the straps, I put the items under the straps (especially papers) as it adds more rigidity to the inner compartment. If it's a jacket or other clothing item, where I put the item depends on whether or not I will use the straps during the trip.

And to be clear, I only use the backpack section for storage of flat and/or soft items, never anything like an umbrella or similar. You could but for me, I like to keep lumpy items on the inside or in the ends.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Hi itsablur.

Sorry I missed this. I can truly one-bag it, but I will have a small bag for easy access to my passport, ticket, and phone because I do not plan to wear a jacket and my pants' pockets will not fit all that. This bag is a PacSafe neck pouch--it's small, but holds a lot. In addition to the things just mentioned, it will also hold my ear buds, a pack of gum, chapstick, and ear plugs. So, the neck pouch will be my personal item. If I needed to though, there is plenty of room in my bag to stuff it in a side pocket. I hope to put the A30 under the seat in front of me and access my water bottle, iPad, and snacks from a side pocket.

Actually, now that I think about it, I can probably put the phone in my pocket once I get through security and stash the neck pouch. But, I do like to wear the neck pouch on the plane (even while sleeping) so I always have my ID/valuables on me.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0