Like Tree21Likes
  • 12 Post By Flyver
  • 2 Post By moriond
  • 5 Post By kkintea
  • 1 Post By vivelly
  • 1 Post By binje

Thread: My Synapse 19 got caught in a hangar door

My Synapse 19 got caught in a hangar door

I really like my Synapse 19 that carries two camera's with lenses, an extra 70-200mm lens, water, photo gear and all the fruit bars I need when I am in the air or on the ground.

I was doing an air2air photo shoot and left my almost empty Synapse behind the hangar door. When I got back from the flight they had opened the big hangar doors (electric motor driven) and the Synapse was squashed at the end of the left door. It had some rust marks on it and some minor tears as well as one zipper being damaged but still useable. I should get it fixed but use the 'scars" to tell people how tough this backpack is and they better get one.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyver View Post
    I really like my Synapse 19 that carries two camera's with lenses, an extra 70-200mm lens, water, photo gear and all the fruit bars I need when I am in the air or on the ground.

I was doing an air2air photo shoot and left my almost empty Synapse behind the hangar door. When I got back from the flight they had opened the big hangar doors (electric motor driven) and the Synapse was squashed at the end of the left door. It had some rust marks on it and some minor tears as well as one zipper being damaged but still useable. I should get it fixed but use the 'scars" to tell people how tough this backpack is and they better get one.
    Is that your 4-year old Olive Cordura Synapse that was pictured in this earlier thread?

moriond

Can you post pictures? I've never seen a damaged TB bag before!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Oh no! That's painful to read even! I hope you can salvage it.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Flyver View Post

Can you tell me how you packed your camera equipment in the 19? Any inserts you use? I'm trying to figure out how to fit my D600 with 70-200mm 2.8 attached with easy access.

I am still scarred by the graphic images of when a TB bag seemingly burned at the hands of the baggage handlers. Perhaps @moriond can post the link to that particular thread. But be forewarned: it is graphic for TB fans.

Only a TB bag could have survived that..poor wee thing...
    Hollie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I am still scarred by the graphic images of when a TB bag seemingly burned at the hands of the baggage handlers. Perhaps @moriond can post the link to that particular thread. But be forewarned: it is graphic for TB fans.
    Oh yeah, that was a rough one for sure.

Flyver, pictures would be appreciated. Also what are air2air photos? Are you in a plane taking photos of other planes?
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    @kkintea That picture of the mangled TB bag was in the Tri-Star vs Careless Baggage Handlers thread from the end of March. The Bag in question was a Tri-Star badly mishandled by US Airways:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rae View Post
    Today I returned home from a short business trip. I took my beloved Navy/Iberian Tri-Star since I needed a laptop, casual clothes and business clothes. Everything was great heading out and there. The Tri-Star was easy to carry with my Absolute Strap and the backpack straps when I was traveling between gates, trains and buildings. It fit beautifully in an overhead compartment on the trip out where no one thought it could fit. The trip back home was not as pleasant. US Airways decided that simply switching my flight time and seats wasn't enough, I would also have to check my Tri-Star. Even being without my Tri-Star during the flight was not enough pain for me. To be blunt, they murdered my Tri-Star. Either some extremely careless baggage handlers or some dogs with flaming teeth attacked and mauled the daylights out of the bag.

Gruesome pictures (for Tom Bihn lovers) follow.
    HTH. moriond

You said almost empty so I hope there wasn't any camera gear in that bag - I would take a scarred Synapse over a crushed lens or body any day. But then, I'm someone who's proud of her scars. They all have stories. And I want to see pictures as well! My bags haven't been through the wringer yet, so I like seeing how they hold up (the mangled Tri-Star was a bit much, though - nothing/no one should have to experience that).
    Seesul likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Also what are air2air photos? Are you in a plane taking photos of other planes?
    Moose
    I wouldn't to presume to know for sure but I am pretty confident you have it right @Moose.
    I believe he is talking about planes flying in formation for a live action photo shoot of a plane in the air.
    I have some experience w/ this type of flying, lots of planning on the ground before hand.
    On the upside it can be a lot of fun and requires a certain amount of mental agility setting up the shots in the air.

Kickz
    Lightzfires...
    TB ~ enabling my need to have a place for everything and everything in it's place.