Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Aubergine A30 beautiful but...

Aubergine A30 beautiful but...

Well My A30 in aubergine/wasabi arrived today, along with 1 small a30 packing cube.
    I was so excited because mr. UPS actually came around 2pm instead of his usual 6-8pm delivery time.
    It is beautiful, and I like the organization, but I find the zipper pulls hard to pull open/close. My WF (also in aubergine) has the old style zippers, and they open/close so easily. Not sure if my bag is somehow defective, or if the newer zipper style is just so much more stiff. Any observations from the other a30 owners is welcome.

Ok, onwards to the pictures:
    Name:  P7300011.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  416.5 KB

shown with WF
    Name:  P7300013.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  399.9 KB

Name:  P7300014.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  485.1 KB

next 2 pix show small packing cube can be placed either horizontally or vertically. There is enough height for 2 layers of cubes

Name:  P7300016.jpg
Views: 1073
Size:  390.8 KB

Name:  P7300017.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  431.9 KB

more packing pix. Like many of you, I already have quite a supply of other packing cubes. Here are some sizing ideas to help you terms pack things.

First of all, for those concerned with color coordination, both the UV items and EC specter white/strobe cubes look great.

Name:  P7300018.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  100.5 KB

Standard EC cube fits well in middle section with some extra room along the top
    Name:  P7300020.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  109.6 KB

Shows standard EC cube with small a30 cube
    Name:  P7300021.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  121.5 KB
    Name:  P7300022.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  118.9 KB

shows small WF cube with small A30 cube
    Name:  P7300023.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  138.2 KB

Name:  P7300024.jpg
Views: 1045
Size:  131.6 KB

and finally, placed men's size 9/9.5 shoes in and pocket with room to spare.
    I used my favorite shoe bags (plastic bags that the newspaper comes in).
    Name:  P7310025.jpg
Views: 1049
Size:  95.0 KB

I'm getting the aubergine A30 as well, this Friday, so it's exciting to see your photos and the others (moriond, I think?) who got the same bag! I even have the exact same color Specter cubes!

Yes, the new style zippers, IMO, are harder to move. I notice this particularly on my Pilot. I guess it is a tradeoff, as the reversed zipper will look better in the long-term.
    eWalker likes this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

I like that new tag. Is that the Seattle skyline?
    SE: b-Aubergine; c-Plum Indigo; d-Steel Nordic Black Solar Wasabi; pp-Olive

SWIFT: Turquoise Plum Hemp Aubergine Olive Nordic Kiwi INDIGO!!!!
    PCSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Iberian Nordic
    SSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic
    LSB: Ultraviolet Wasabi Steel Solar Iberian Nordic Black

SCB: Plum Nordic
    MCB: Plum Nordic Storm Cocoa

IMAGO: Indigo/Plum, Navy/Cork, Black, Cocoa
    CO-PILOT: Indigo
    AERONAUT 45: Indigo

Love the pictures. I thought the Specter cubes would look great---so glad to see they do! Mine comes today-my first Tom Bihn!

Quote Originally Posted by KatrinkaWinkle View Post
    I like that new tag. Is that the Seattle skyline?
    If it is, it's missing the Space Needle.

In all of the excitement of my new bags arriving, I didn't even think to look at the new tags!
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Mine is here! Probably can't do a thorough inspection until tomorrow night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    moriond and Hawaii like this.

Ok, after some communication with customer service..
    I have added the cord pulls which helps me pull the zipper. also, Mathew says they will zip more easily with use. I have helped that along by zipping/unzipping, and things are quite a bit better. Note that the curved sections require a little slower zipping that the straight parts.
    They have also used the big 10? YKK zippers on the outside slash pockets on the end of the bags. I think that is a bit overkill, and a small gauge zipper would be easier to zip open/closed.
    That being said, I feel happier now, and plan to keep the bag!

For the o-ring counters: I found 5:
    one in each end slash pocket
    one in each side pocket
    one in inside lid zipper pocket

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii View Post
    For the o-ring counters: I found 5:
    one in each end slash pocket
    one in each side pocket
    one in inside lid zipper pocket
    Nothing in the main compartment (other than in the lid pocket)? I could swear there are at least a couple in the A45, though there is only one end slash pocket with a zipper and thus an O-ring.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii View Post
    Ok, after some communication with customer service..
    I have added the cord pulls which helps me pull the zipper.
    This may win the award for the dumbest question of the day, but is there any particular better/worse method for attaching the cord pulls? Just loop through the zipper tabs, or is there something less obvious? I haven't put the pulls on my A30 (yet?), but I agree that the zippers are a little hesitant.
    eWalker likes this.

I can confirm that the zippers on the A30 are slightly stiffer to operate. I don't consider it any issue whatever, though. They are not difficult to operate in any way, merely stiffer compared to the previous style.

I disagree about the gauge of the zippers on the end-pockets. Given that those are external, I feel that they should be as robust as the rest of the bag. Using smaller gauge closures wouldn't offer the same durability.

I just received my A30 on Tuesday and I really couldn't be happier. The overall size is just perfect for one-bag travel, IMO. It will easily support my short business trips, while still allowing me to pack for far longer leisure trips with no issues. I recently sold my Tri-Star along with the packing-cubes that were sized for it in anticipation, and am glad to confirm that it was the right decision. The A30 is the bag that I personally wish Tom Bihn had made years ago. It's finally here....

Quote Originally Posted by adampaul View Post
    This may win the award for the dumbest question of the day, but is there any particular better/worse method for attaching the cord pulls? Just loop through the zipper tabs, or is there something less obvious? I haven't put the pulls on my A30 (yet?), but I agree that the zippers are a little hesitant.
    Maybe this thread will help! There is a nice video showing how to do it.
    Last edited by eWalker; 07-31-2014 at 03:29 PM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

@adampaul, someone will chime in with the link. It is not obvious.
    I will also point out that you can buy zipper pulls as well. I really like these and use them on all my bags now.
    Ca1i and adampaul like this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

adampaul you may want to check this out:
    How do you like to attach the cord on your zipper pulls?

Fyi - I just looped the cord through the existing zipper pulls

There is also a video somewhere on how to attach the tabs that close off the cord.
    basically : place cord through zipper however you like, then thread bigger plastic piece, then stick ends on 2 sides of smaller plastic piece and pull the bigger pastil piece to lock it in..

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0