Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Aubergine A30 beautiful but...

I knew I'd seen that tag in something I own, but I went through all the major bags I have (A45, TS, WF) and it wasn't there....like a kid at Easter I pressed on in my tag hunt and lo behold, there it was in the pocket of my LS! It was ordered 12/2012.

* Favorite TB: Steel Little Swift * Latest TB: Nordic/Solar Synapse 25 * 2014 Wishlist: New 400d Color

Those portable phone scanning tags were all the rage, at that time.

Their use never became widespread because people learned about data mining.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I think there was a brief period, around the time Solar was being retired for the first time, when they sewed QR code tags inside some bags.
    ETA: Can owners of Western Flyers or other travel bags provide information on whether their bags have QR codes sewn into them? I don't have any examples apart from the evidence shown in @Lani's picture, and I think this was a short-lived phenomenon.
    Quote Originally Posted by adalangdon View Post
    A number of Storm/Steel cafe bags I've seen have a QR code. I also have a cafe bag that's all cordura Olive/Olive with the Portable Culture patch and stiff strap that has a QR code...
    Quote Originally Posted by readmore View Post
    My A45 has the QR code. I purchased it February 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkintea View Post
    I knew I'd seen that tag in something I own, but I went through all the major bags I have (A45, TS, WF) and it wasn't there....like a kid at Easter I pressed on in my tag hunt and lo behold, there it was in the pocket of my LS! It was ordered 12/2012.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post

I think the above information dates the QR code label tags sewn into bags to bags manufactured in the early part of 2012. I don't have any QR codes in any Little Swifts, which include purchases in February 2012 (but I think manufactured close to Christmas), and the Aubergine/Steel Little Swift (October 2012 pre-order, arrived mid-November).

Storm returned to the Cafe bags in June 2011 and colors like Azalea arrived in mid-August 2011. I know that the earlier runs of these bags were made with the (original) softer straps, but by early 2012 Cafe Bags in these colors all had the stiff straps. (An Azalea SCB I bought in February 2012 had the stiff strap, but no QR tag,)

So best guess is that this custom of sewing in QR code labels lasted for less than a year, and mainly affected bags manufactured starting around the beginning of 2012.

Thanks, everyone. The QR code labels seems to be a relatively short lived phenomenon, as @backpack noted

moriond

So best guess is that this custom of sewing in QR code labels lasted for less than a year, and mainly affected bags manufactured starting around the beginning of 2012.
    The retired paleographer/material historian in me loved this exercise. Thanks @moriond!
    moriond likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post

They're still quite useful, depending on the industry. I still see them on a lot of manufacturing parts. One of my health care clients is in the process of relabeling some 3m pieces of hospital equipment across the US with them since it will be pretty easy for their techs to scan the QR with the software we've developed for them and bring up all of the asset details and service history of the equipment. The next step is for them to print the QR codes on NFC tag stickers as a gradual technological progression, but eh... Got to walk before you can run.

I agree though in terms of mass market use; it's just easier to type in a URL than to find your QR scanning app, scan the code, etc., and that's not even figuring in anything else that could be going on with how/where the QR code is sending you/tracking you.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

An update on my own aubergine/wasabi A30, which arrived last week. It arrived so much earlier than anticipated - which was wonderful for more than one reason - because one of the snaps on the handle was broken. Oh no!!! But I took a picture and emailed customer service right away and they sent me a shipping label. They fixed it right away and overnighted it back to me and in less than a week I have it back in prime condition and ready to go! Tom Bihn bags are seriously awesome, I think we all agree - but their customer service is beyond awesome!

Volunteer Moderator

Aubergine/Steel Aeronaut 30?

So I noticed a couple of days ago (but didn't post) that theA30 product page pictures had Aubergine/Steel as one of the options:
    Name:  aeronaut30_16b.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  60.4 KB
    I don't remember that being one of the 8 color options that debuted for the Aeronaut 30, all of which, except for the Black Dyneema/Wasabi that sold out on Wednesday of last week, are currently available for back order (Black/Wasabi, Black/Steel, Black/Iberian, Steel/Ultraviolet, Steel/Wasabi, Aubergine/Wasabi, and Coyote/Steel). Did I miss this listing, or is it a sign of new colors to come? (Or maybe it's an offering to purple lovers who dislike Wasabi?)

By the way. I don't usually check the box to save linked URL images from the TB site locally (in the attachments gallery), in order to save space. But I've since discovered that when I link to product page images that have numbered names like "aeronaut30_16b.jpg" in the current case, these image names get reused, which is embarrassing when I'm answering questions about colors, and the link at some later time points to a color or view that is entirely different from the one I originally used, and there's no way to go bAck and retrieve the original image or edit the post.

HTH moriond

So I noticed a couple of days ago (but didn't post) that theA30 product page pictures had Aubergine/Steel as one of the options:
    Name:  aeronaut30_16b.jpg
Views: 441
Size:  60.4 KB
    I don't remember that being one of the 8 color options that debuted for the Aeronaut 30, all of which, except for the Black Dyneema/Wasabi that sold out on Wednesday of last week, are currently available for back order (Black/Wasabi, Black/Steel, Black/Iberian, Steel/Ultraviolet, Steel/Wasabi, Aubergine/Wasabi, and Coyote/Steel). Did I miss this listing, or is it a sign of new colors to come? (Or maybe it's an offering to purple lovers who dislike Wasabi?)

HTH moriond

@moriond, this is the one I wanted. I oohed and aahed when I saw the picture, but never saw it as an option so I settled on Wasabi.

I have never seen this as an ordering option. perhaps in the future?

Hey there! Firstly - great pics, that aubergine color is beautiful! Just wondering since you have both the A30 and the WF (and i'm trying to decide btwn those 2 and the tri-star for my first ever TB), which do you prefer? How much can you fit into the A30 vs the WF? TIA!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0