Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Aubergine A30 beautiful but...

On my new A30 I used both Red Oxx and TB pulls. The TB pulls are more discreet and so I used them on most of the zippers, but on the large main compartment I used the beefier, easier to grab, Red Oxx ones. Both types match the dyneema :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii View Post
    Ok, after some communication with customer service..
    I have added the cord pulls which helps me pull the zipper. also, Mathew says they will zip more easily with use. I have helped that along by zipping/unzipping, and things are quite a bit better. Note that the curved sections require a little slower zipping that the straight parts.
    They have also used the big 10? YKK zippers on the outside slash pockets on the end of the bags. I think that is a bit overkill, and a small gauge zipper would be easier to zip open/closed.
    That being said, I feel happier now, and plan to keep the bag!

For the o-ring counters: I found 5:
    one in each end slash pocket
    one in each side pocket
    one in inside lid zipper pocket
    Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Nothing in the main compartment (other than in the lid pocket)? I could swear there are at least a couple in the A45, though there is only one end slash pocket with a zipper and thus an O-ring.
    There are 2 more O-rings at the top of the A30, just below the black tape border that marks the start of the mesh lid pocket. (That probably tends to hide those O-Rings a bit). They're approximately above the top ends of those two compression straps in the very first photo.

Also, note that the compression straps are secured with Gatekeeper clips at either end. (You can see it for the top straps in the first photo; it's also true for the bottom ends of the straps.). This means that if you use Packing Cubes or rolling pack your contents, you can entirely remove the compression straps.

There are actually quite a lot of nice styling features in the detailed design. I mentioned in my posted few pictures near the end of @Badger's It's official: I'm in love with the Aeronaut 30 thread reviewing the A30, there are a lot of details about the way the lining is attached and sewn into the zippered end sections to make both the zipped and unzipped modes easy to use, including fitting in 15" (Small) Pack-It Folders without having to unzip the sides.

I'm still a little unclear as to the maximum men shoe's size that can fit into the side pockets: I can't test anything larger than 10 M (and my shoes are too small to usefully test this). @Adampaul's Brief Aeronaut 30 review mentions men's Size 13 (barely) fitting into his Steel/Wasabi A30, while @Frank II's OBOW review says size 12.

Quote Originally Posted by KatrinkaWinkle View Post
    I like that new tag. Is that the Seattle skyline?
    Yes, the new travel bags have a slightly modified label with a skyline. You can see see this in the blog announcement pictures Introducing the Aeronaut 30 and four new designs and in any of the close up pictures Darcy posted in the Night Flight thread showing the bags under assembly. Frank II also briefly leaked the new label in the middle of the Who else is checking the blog multiple times a day to see if there are announments? thread, but then replaced the picture with a picture of Steel Ballistic Nylon without the new label. (He was being mean about dropping hints, and didn't really intend to leak anything new, as you can see from his "Oops! post after @Ilkyway's comment -- haven't seen the image with the new label show up in any of his OBOW review pictures.)

Yes, as @bchaplin, the Tom Bihn staff, and others have said, the new zipper design is stiffer initially to use, especially around the curved opening. I also found this true for the Pilot, but it seems to be getting better with use.

HTH moriond

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaii View Post
    adampaul you may want to check this out:
    How do you like to attach the cord on your zipper pulls?

Fyi - I just looped the cord through the existing zipper pulls

There is also a video somewhere on how to attach the tabs that close off the cord.
    basically : place cord through zipper however you like, then thread bigger plastic piece, then stick ends on 2 sides of smaller plastic piece and pull the bigger pastil piece to lock it in..
    The @maverick video for attaching the tabs can be found in this thread; How to add Cord Zipper Pulls to your Tri-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Ca1i View Post
    On my new A30 I used both Red Oxx and TB pulls. The TB pulls are more discreet and so I used them on most of the zippers, but on the large main compartment I used the beefier, easier to grab, Red Oxx ones. Both types match the dyneema :-)
    That's the Red Oxx Monkey Fist. You can also find on-line instructions on how to tie that knot, but it's easier to just buy it.

HTH moriind

I haven't found the zipper pulls in my Aeronaut 30 yet. Any idea where they usually hide them?

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    I haven't found the zipper pulls in my Aeronaut 30 yet. Any idea where they usually hide them?
    Try putting your hand down the bottom of the right end zippered pocket (the side closest to the label) and check whether there's a bag with the zipper pulls.

HTH moriond

Found them! Thanks
    moriond likes this.

@moriond
    THanks for the tip on the 2 additional rings in the main section! Thought there must be some...

Probably a stupid question, but do most bags come with the zipper pulls? I got a SE that had them in the pocket, but I didn't see any in my NFTD

Quote Originally Posted by Missy View Post
    Probably a stupid question, but do most bags come with the zipper pulls? I got a SE that had them in the pocket, but I didn't see any in my NFTD
    I also didn't get pulls with the NFTD, but I had a bag of spares on hand. I find them helpful with this style zipper.
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Grey DLBC * Wishlist: New 400d Color

After finally trying out my own A30, with the reversed zippers, I have to say I like the look and don't find them difficult to use, particularly since it is a relatively large bag (compared to my Pilot, which is still fine with the reversed zippers, but sometimes requires two hands). As with the Pilot, I'll probably end up adding zipper pulls.

The aubergine/wasabi is very, very pretty. I never get tired of this combination, even if I might regret the slightly extra weight compared to the dyneema I originally was going to order. I may post a picture later, but it looks amazingly similar to the aubergine/wasabi A30's that others got.

I was amused that the packing cubes (main and side) were artfully placed in their respective compartments, with the one cube that belonged to a different bag placed outside of the A30 in the box. Just to avoid any confusion. It's also nice that the packing cubes come labeled now.

edit: The labels for the packing cubes may not be such a new thing. My mistake.
    Last edited by bchaplin; 08-02-2014 at 05:28 AM.
    moriond and Hawaii like this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    . It's also nice that the packing cubes come labeled now.
    Labelled on a merchandise tag, the interior tag (like how stuff sacks are numbered), or somewhere/somehow else?
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

The outside tag. Maybe it's always been like that, and I never noticed? I usually just cut them off right away.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Labelled on a merchandise tag, the interior tag (like how stuff sacks are numbered), or somewhere/somehow else?
    Quote Originally Posted by bchaplin View Post
    The outside tag. Maybe it's always been like that, and I never noticed? I usually just cut them off right away.
    They started doing this a while ago. All the packing cubes for the Pilot, for example, came with the following information on the reverse side of that square tag with the Tom Bihn Airplane logo: a descriptive label, like "Packing Cube Pilot Small", a QR barcode, and at the bottom the ordering product code for the item like "TBO926-SD". In the case of the Aeronaut packing cubes the label might say "Aero 30 End Packing Cube Fabric Steel" and the product code read "TBO934-SD".

On the inside of the bag, underneath the Care label, there is also another tag now that identifies the bag. However, it does so with the product code number: "TB O926" and "TB O934" in the previous two examples I gave.

I think there was a brief period, around the time Solar was being retired for the first time, when they sewed QR code tags inside some bags. Here's a picture from @Lani's post in the YIPEE! Western Flyer in Steel and SOLAR! thread (which you should also browse for the beautiful pictures of @Maria's cat Mika receiving and checking out his Western Flyer):

Note that @Lani sold this particular Navy/Solar WF as part of an eBay Auction last year for her team ASPCA charity fundraising.

HTH moriond

ETA: Can owners of Western Flyers or other travel bags provide information on whether their bags have QR codes sewn into them? I don't have any examples apart from the evidence shown in @Lani's picture, and I think this was a short-lived phenomenon.
    Last edited by moriond; 08-01-2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Inserted paragraph break to make inside label info more obvious

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

I think there was a brief period, around the time Solar was being retired for the first time, when they sewed QR code tags inside some bags.
    ETA: Can owners of Western Flyers or other travel bags provide information on whether their bags have QR codes sewn into them? I don't have any examples apart from the evidence shown in @Lani's picture, and I think this was a short-lived phenomenon.
    A number of Storm/Steel cafe bags I've seen have a QR code. I also have a cafe bag that's all cordura Olive/Olive with the Portable Culture patch and stiff strap that has a QR code...
    Wishlist: Black (Cordura)/UV S25; Aubergine/Steel SE; new 200D & 400D Dyneema fabrics; Imago v. 2

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Can owners of Western Flyers or other travel bags provide information on whether their bags have QR codes sewn into them? I don't have any examples apart from the evidence shown in @Lani's picture, and I think this was a short-lived phenomenon.
    My A45 has the QR code. I purchased it February 2012.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0