• 2 Post By adampaul
  • 1 Post By itsablur
  • 1 Post By bchaplin
  • 2 Post By adampaul
  • 1 Post By jea
  • 3 Post By itsablur

Thread: Brief Aeronaut 30 review

Thumbs up Brief Aeronaut 30 review

My steel/wasabi A30 arrived last night, and I did a little test packing of it to see what it can hold. In short - everything I could conceivably want for carry-on-only or one-bag travel, and then some!

Name:  IMG_2874.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  166.4 KB

I first loaded it with the most I would ever travel with for a business trip (electronics and other misc go in the S19 in this configuration):

Name:  IMG_2875.jpg
Views: 1475
Size:  613.8 KB
    Main compartment:
    - B&R toiletry kit
    - large A30 packing cube with 2x trousers, 4x shirts, 1x sweater
    - small A30 packing cube with 4x underwear, 5x merino socks
    - empty stuff sack for laundry
    - Travel Tray
    Side compartment:
    - Windproof fleece jacket
    - 3DCOC for 3-1-1 liquids
    Other side compartment:
    - Men's size 13 shoes (which fit, but barely)

Then I wanted to see if I could pack truly 1-bag in it:

Name:  IMG_2877.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  622.4 KB
    Main compartment:
    - Travel Tray
    - B&R toiletry kit
    - small A30 packing cube with sweater, 1x trousers, 2x shirts, 2x underwear, 3x merino socks
    - daypack stuffed into its own pocket
    - Sony RX100 camera
    - mini COP w/camera battery & SD cards
    - empty stuff sack
    Side compartment:
    - iPad in case
    - 3DCOC for 3-1-1
    - 3DCOC for chargers/adapters/cables
    - mini COP with headphones & adapters
    - mini COP with gum/mints/cough drops
    - Kindle paperwhite
    Other side:
    - Ecco Easy shoes
    - tiny tote bag
    - S'Well 17oz water bottle
    - kleenex
    - Travel pointing card
    (not shown: emergency kit, but it's small and would fit anywhere)

Easy - room to spare, actually!

Lastly, for comparison, the A30 and S19:
    Name:  IMG_2881.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  741.3 KB

My actual packing will likely wind up somewhere in between these two extremes, and I'm amazed at how much it, and the S19 hold - I'll report back on how it work in-use as I have a business trip to the UK next week.

Can we fight to the death over your luchador luggage tag? That's AWESOME. I want one.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by adampaul View Post
    My steel/wasabi A30 arrived last night, and I did a little test packing of it to see what it can hold. In short - everything I could conceivably want for carry-on-only or one-bag travel, and then some!

Other side compartment:
    - Men's size 13 shoes (which fit, but barely)

Then I wanted to see if I could pack truly 1-bag in it:
    Thanks for this detailed review with packing list and pictures, @adampaul. I'd been particularly curious about the maximum size of shoe that could be fit into the A30 (comment about Men's size 13 shoes fitting, if barely, left in quote), since this is one of the distinguishing features of Aeronaut vs Tri-Star (in the A45, you can fit larger shoes).

Look forward to reading your review after your travels.

moriond
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Can we fight to the death over your luchador luggage tag? That's AWESOME. I want one.
    Well it looks like flight001 has them at their e-store so a deathmatch *might* not be required. It's probably their brick & mortar store in SF where I got mine originally. A quick search turns up some on cafepress too, but they're not as nice as this one.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Thanks for this detailed review with packing list and pictures, @adampaul. I'd been particularly curious about the maximum size of shoe that could be fit into the A30 (comment about Men's size 13 shoes fitting, if barely, left in quote), since this is one of the distinguishing features of Aeronaut vs Tri-Star (in the A45, you can fit larger shoes).
    The product page says a men's 12 will fit, but I think any reasonable size 13 men's shoe ought to, provided it doesn't have extra-long pointy toes or anything. The ones in my photo are "average" length chisel-toe wingtips, neither particularly short nor long. I doubt that size 14 would fit.

Well it looks like flight001 has them at their e-store so a deathmatch *might* not be required. It's probably their brick & mortar store in SF where I got mine originally. A quick search turns up some on cafepress too, but they're not as nice as this one.
    You win this round @adampaul... You win this round...

How do you like the S'Well bottle? I've been looking at those and the Hydroflask for a little while. Wife loves her water COLD, which is always a problem when you are on vacation and in foreign cities all day unless you are buying bottled water than happens to be really cold (consider yourself lucky). Is it much larger than a typical 16 oz water bottle?
    eWalker likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Thank you, adampaul! That's amazing. It gives me hope that I will be able to survive on my next trip with the A30, and either the Synapse or Pilot.
    eWalker likes this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    You win this round @adampaul... You win this round...

How do you like the S'Well bottle? I've been looking at those and the Hydroflask for a little while. Wife loves her water COLD, which is always a problem when you are on vacation and in foreign cities all day unless you are buying bottled water than happens to be really cold (consider yourself lucky). Is it much larger than a typical 16 oz water bottle?
    I like it! Here's a photo of it with a bottle of wine, and a 12oz Coke Zero - hopefully that'll give a good idea of its size. It fits easily in the long middle pocket of my Synapse 19.

Name:  IMG_2889.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  751.6 KB

jea
    Great post! How do you like the Ecco Easy's? Are they solid enough for extended walks? What kind of situations do you tend to wear them in? I noticed on Amazon that they are just 7 oz! Im always looking for good shoes that can pass for business casual, but are also lightweight.
    eWalker likes this.

I like it! Here's a photo of it with a bottle of wine, and a 12oz Coke Zero - hopefully that'll give a good idea of its size. It fits easily in the long middle pocket of my Synapse 19.
    Nice choice of wine. Valpolicelli Ripasso was my personal wine revelation of 2012. Damn good stuff.

The S'Well looks really nice (love the colours). Pretty tall looking. Can anyone compare the height of the S19 water bottle pocket to those of the Co-Pilot or Pilot?

Super Moderator
    Can you bring one of those S'well bottles onto a domestic (U.S. domestic) flight? Looks like a caveman club to me ...

Quote Originally Posted by jea View Post
    Great post! How do you like the Ecco Easy's? Are they solid enough for extended walks? What kind of situations do you tend to wear them in? I noticed on Amazon that they are just 7 oz! Im always looking for good shoes that can pass for business casual, but are also lightweight.
    Thanks, jea! I like the Easy's, however I would not plan on extended walking in them unless you're really into the minimal shoe thing and are used to shoes with very little bounce or structure. I have them primarily for in-flight wear (I change into them after boarding since I normally wear aboard the heaviest/biggest shoes/boots I'm bringing), to change into after a long day's walking, lounging, or for short errands or the like. I'm not sure I'd say they're business-casual-appropriate, as IMO they're quite casual, but it depends on where on the business-casual spectrum one's company is. Ecco's Collin Boat Shoe is also very light (~9oz), and is definitely comfy enough (for me) for all-day walking (I've walked 13mi in one day in mine).

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    Can you bring one of those S'well bottles onto a domestic (U.S. domestic) flight? Looks like a caveman club to me ...
    I haven't traveled domestically with it yet, but its been fine on international carry-on (packed empty, of course), so I don't see why there'd be any problem.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0