Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Synapse 25 - Not the bag for me

Well then to stir the pot a little more......
    I sometimes carry the S19 in the TriStar either with or without computers in it especially when I drive one way and fly the other on a trip.
    During the summer I do this several times as I deliver and then retrieve cars for people around the country.

I like to 1-Bag too when flying but then I buy food and stuff before driving and it is nice to have a second bag for the extra stuff.
    I also will fly sometimes and ship tools to myself and having a second bag is great to make a smaller sunset of the tools more portable once I am at the job which often will involve a lot of shlepping around and where the whole load of tools would be too much work.

Anyway an S19 is not that pretty inside a TriStar but it does get the job done and I can also carry it both in one of the 3 standard spots in the TriStar or in the compartment where the straps stow when stowed,it is a huge space that I use all the time.

I don't have an Aeronaut but I do have a Patagonia bag designed just like it but larger and I have yet to find a way I love to carry computers in it along with my other stuff.
    I always end up carrying the Empire Builder or Super Ego too for the tech so I just can't say I have figured this one out yet without my TriStar!

There are good reasons it sits at the top of the Bihn food chain I think!

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by RobNC View Post
    I'll be flying out of Charlotte on Thursday, actually!

I think we have the same approach to packing, and I see the unstructured nature of the A45 to be part of the challenge/fun. I appreciate flexibility in a bag. Especially one that I'm planning to one-bag-travel with. Your story about packing another backpack inside your main pack and then packing around it is exactly the kind of flexibility I'm looking for.

I've got a Navy/Solar A45 and a slew of accessories sitting in a cart right now...finger hovering over the trigger. The only issue is the backorder wait.

I think you and RhoFro both have co-pilots. I was thinking this might be a nice "shuttle craft" bag that I could dock inside the A45 (when lightly loaded), and pull it out for EDC while travelling around at my destination. Looks like it might barely fit a MBA 11". Any clue if it will?

Again, thanks to everyone that have joined in this discussion. It's really helped alleviate the trauma of shipping back my S25!

I think you and RhoFro both have co-pilots. I was thinking this might be a nice "shuttle craft" bag that I could dock inside the A45 (when lightly loaded), and pull it out for EDC while travelling around at my destination. Looks like it might barely fit a MBA 11". Any clue if it will?
    It should fit fine in the Co-Pilot. I have an 11" Chromebook with nearly identical dimensions to an 11" MBA, and I can easily put it into the main compartment with a sleeve case.
    RobNC likes this.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Interesting that I too just received an S25 and haven't fallen in love with it yet. Agree with RobNC that the organization and construction is outstanding, but it just doesn't fit right. I'm 6'2" and 165lbs. I've done a lot of research on bags and have similar requirements- business (EDC) and travel. I take 1- 4 days business trips and prefer one bag. I've got a 10 day trip to Tanzania coming up and want to utilize the same bag as well.

After all the looking, shopping, researching, etc. I haven't found a bag that matches the S25 (kudos TB!). I have been focusing on the HPG Umlindi, but with options, it's more $ than the S25 and isn't as "low profile" as the S25.

Maybe adding a Snake Charmer and a Side Effect (in the 2nd Cache area) to help with the organization of the larger areas would help.

Side note- this is my first backpack since college (circa 1989) after carrying briefcases, messenger bags, etc. So maybe it's a getting used to feeling like a kid thang in my mind. As a comparison, I've been using the Emdom TNT for daily use and up to 4 day business trips- but it had limitations.
    RobNC likes this.

I read lots of discussion of this while waiting for the Pilot to exist, and the consensus seemed to be that it fits in the CP, but (A) not in a Cache and (B) not especially gracefully. Accordingly, I'd encourage you to consider the Pilot, which is only slightly bigger than the CP, but is a really fantastic bag.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    I read lots of discussion of this while waiting for the Pilot to exist, and the consensus seemed to be that it fits in the CP, but (A) not in a Cache and (B) not especially gracefully. Accordingly, I'd encourage you to consider the Pilot, which is only slightly bigger than the CP, but is a really fantastic bag.
    @jmoz and others, I'll point people to the posts and linked threadS in this Can a Co-Pilot carry a sub-notebook computer? thread. There's a picture @jeffmac posted of an 11" MacBook Air in cache inside his Co-Pilot, and links to some other threads where diifferent statements about the tightness of the fit in the Co-Pilot are made.

HTH moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 07-16-2014 at 07:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoz View Post
    I don't know. I find it fits pretty well. Here are some shots of a Samsung Chromebook fitting into a Co-Pilot. Physically, the Chromebook is nearly identical in dimension to the 11.6" MacBook Air; it's a hair deeper (~0.5"), and thicker (~0.1"), but a hair narrower (0.4"). It fits in really easily both with and without a case. What you pack into the back of the bag with it will need to change of course, since you are now carrying a fairly rigid slab of computer, but I can still get much of my on-the-plane stuff in there (other than trading my big camera for my wife's smaller RX100 and putting my big camera in her bag).

Here they are side by side
    Name:  DSC08350.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  286.5 KB

Empty Co-Pilot main compartment (mostly; apparently there were things in the back pockets, like my wallet, office keys, emergency medication, portable backup battery, etc.)
    Name:  DSC08352.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  221.7 KB

Here is the Chromebook in there sans case
    Name:  DSC08351.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  249.1 KB

And here it is in the back with a case
    Name:  DSC08353.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  321.3 KB

Without anything else large back there, the laptop can easily wiggle around. I typically push it up against the middle wall of the bag and pack some softer things in between it and the back pockets for baffling (and carry comfort).
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Thanks for the continued feedback, folks. I appreciate all of the great suggestions.

I spent some time looking at the Tri-Star again last night, and I think I would rather pick up a Western Flyer in that form-factor. I have Patagonia MLC that loads similarly to the Tri-Star (but is not even the in same league construction/design wise), and I don't know if I want another bag that size that split loads. The flexibility of the ruck design of the Aeronaut is my preference for multi-day one-bagging. I have a TNF Basecamp Duffel that I've used for that, and it worked well for me. I would agree that it's a bit sloppy for computing gear though, which is why I sought some guidance on the Pilot/Co-pilot as a possible shuttle bag.

Argh..I just looked, and the Navy/Solar Tri-Star is now gone! I don't think I was going to order it, but now that I can't...I feel like I missed something!

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post

Lots of cool pics....

Without anything else large back there, the laptop can easily wiggle around. I typically push it up against the middle wall of the bag and pack some softer things in between it and the back pockets for baffling (and carry comfort).
    Wow! Thanks for the great photo-essay. I'm convinced. The MBA doesn't really need much in the way of a case, and would be perfect in there. I'm fine with a snug fit. Looks like plenty of usable space left. I would just toss my work laptop in a sleeve and throw it in the main bag (A45?!) and keep the MBA with me in the CP...

Hmm..interesting to consider.

Thanks again everyone... great discussion.

Wow! Thanks for the great photo-essay. I'm convinced. The MBA doesn't really need much in the way of a case, and would be perfect in there. I'm fine with a snug fit. Looks like plenty of usable space left. I would just toss my work laptop in a sleeve and throw it in the main bag (A45?!) and keep the MBA with me in the CP...

Hmm..interesting to consider.

Thanks again everyone... great discussion.
    Here's my silliness with an A45. I just roughly threw this in for the photo, but I have packed like this before.

Lightly loaded Navy/Iberian Aeronaut 45, ready to hit the road!
    Name:  _7164750.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  337.1 KB

With a load, she has enough structure to stand on her own. The bottom end pocket right now has a fully packed end cube in there loaded with maybe 6 merino wool shirts, but I would otherwise typically pack some shoes in there. The top has toiletries in a 3D clear organizer cube, and some other random small things in stuff sacks. But the main compartment...
    Name:  _7164751.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  306.7 KB

... Is holding a LowePro PhotoSport 200 AW (approximately 20L bag)! I removed the camera section dividers and packed clothes in there instead, as well as the rest of the bag. I carry the camera onto the plane in my Co-Pilot. The rest of the main compartment I had previously filled with things like jeans and packing cubes to use after I arrive and rearrange the load. I also have a 16" carbon fibre travel tripod (MeFoto RoadTripper) that I can pack in here parallel to the bag (I usually put it right under the grab handles since CF is not as durable as metal, so I don't want it on the bottom for how much I spent on it).
    Name:  _7164752.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  364.2 KB

And here they are side-by-side.
    Name:  _7164753.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  334.9 KB

Note that because of the hard back panel of the LowePro, I do have to unbuckle one of the side pocket dividers. If I were thinking, I would have put the backpack in backwards so that the back panel would act as a backpanel for the Aeronaut. Live and learn.

Still, this is why I prefer the Aeronaut. More flexibility to use the bag in a variety of ways.

Now that's exactly what I'm talking about. Great pictures, thanks! I have pulled off similar bag nesting antics with my TNF Basecamp, and I'm looking to do the same thing in a more refined TB design.

Ok, the deed is done. I have pulled the trigger on an Aeronaut 45. I actually put in an order late last night for the Navy/Solar which is on backorder, but in my browsing today, I saw the Coyote/Steel added to the list. After checking out the pictures Darcy posted, I was sold. I think the A45 looks great in that color.

I shot a quick note to the TB folks, and they changed my order and are shipping it today. Just in time for me to leave on a 2 week trip tomorrow morning My wife already threatened to load it up and take pictures around town with it and send them to me.

I'm taking the Patagonia MLC, and one-bagging it. I think it will be its last trip with me, and I'll hand it down to my son.

Thanks again for the great picture series.

Volunteer Moderator
    Just an afternote: great photo posts @itsablur, but I also really like your current signature line, which now reads (without the color-coding):
    Own: Aeronaut (Navy/Iberian), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Travel Tray (Iberian), organizer wallet (Wasabi), passport pouch (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps
    For the benefit of all those of you reading with the TapaTalk app, who can't view signature lines.

moriond

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0