Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree296Likes

Thread: It's official: I am in love with the Aeronaut 30

It's official: I am in love with the Aeronaut 30

My Aeronaut 30 arrived this past Wednesday and I had to use it right away. I got my chance over the weekend when I went on a short trip to Chicago (aka the Only Place I Ever Go). I’ve decided that the A30 is the perfect summer weekend bag, not just for me but for the whole family: I got everything for two adults and one dog into the bag with room to spare! I took some pictures, but I decided that rather than try to anticipate what people wanted, I would try to accommodate and take pictures of the A30 in configurations you would like to see.

Everything I packed in the main compartment:

Clothes:
    6 T-shirts
    3 pairs of shorts
    7 pairs of chonies
    1 pair of socks
    (ignore the flops; they got put in the side compartment)

2 pairs of eyeglasses (in cases)
    First aid kit in a Small Double Organizer Pouch, attached with an 8” Key Strap
    other little random stuff (hand sanitizer, etc.), in a Small Dyneema Organizer Pouch, attached with an 8” Key Strap

The following in a Parapack 3D Organizer Pouch, attached with a 16” Key Strap:
    1 bottle of contact cleaner
    1 contact case
    6 blister packs of contacts
    1 small tub of toothpaste
    2 toothbrushes
    1 GoToob with 3-in-1 shower gel
    1 pack of floss
    1 travel container of Q-tips

The following in a Q-Kit, attached with an 8” Key Strap:
    4 individual packets of vitamins and daily meds
    cough drops

In a gallon-size Ziploc bag:
    4 servings of kibble
    2 small Tupperware containers that serve as food/water bowls
    1 bull’s pizzle

Continued . . .

Side compartment:
    In a Small Ballistic Organizer Pouch, attached with an 8” Key Strap:
    1 Jackery bar
    1 retractable charging cable
    1 USB-to-micro cable
    1 iPhone charger plug

In a Medium Clear Organizer Pouch:
    papers
    1 Field Notes memo book
    2 pens

I also had a Field Notes steno book, which didn’t fit in the pouch. Ignore the Kleenex; that went in the lid pocket.

Other side compartment (not shown):
    1 pair slippers/flip flops/zori/what have you

My 21-ounce Klean Kanteen with regular screw top fit in the zippered side pocket.

Lid pocket (not shown):
    a pack of Kleenex

Note: I didn’t use any packing cubes or stuff sacks on this trip. The main compartment was sized in such a way that I could fit everything in with minimal folding and no bundling. The compression straps did a fine job of holding everything in place.

Here's everything all packed up:

I unzipped one of the floating baffles to cannibalize some space from one of the end pockets, but this probably wasn’t necessary.

I did take along a number of TB accessories, but this is simply because I already owned them. None were essential. For instance, I could have used a different toiletry bag, Ziploc bags, or a combination of other bags and simply stashing items loose in the lid and side pockets. I suppose I'm saying this because often people get intimidated by all the accessories they think they need to buy. This is me going on the record to say that while the accessories simplify the (un)packing process, you don't need them.

I also wanted to mention that I was able to fit all the clothes with room to spare in the Daylight Backpack. I could have also gotten the flops and the toiletries in there as well, but would have probably elected to carry the writing materials, cables, water bottle, and dog stuff in another bag.

What fits, and where?

The Side Effect fits in the side compartment.

The Pilot fits in the main compartment (I don't currently own a Co-Pilot, but my vast powers of deduction tell me that it too would fit).

An empty Daylight Backpack would fit flat in the bottom of the A30 with a tiny bit of scrunching, or rolled up and tucked into the main compartment.

You can fit the A30 inside the main compartment of the A45. Not sure why you’d want to. Actually, I do. Alien.

Observations

With my entire load-out, the A30 felt lighter than my Dyneema Tri-Star, which was empty except for two packing cube backpacks. You get an extra 3 litres with the TS, but save a ton of weight with the A30. I think this is an important consideration for people traveling on airlines with strict baggage weight restrictions, as well as for anyone who will have to walk with their loaded bag for any significant distance.

I could fit my 15” MBP into the A30, but it was a bit of a pain with the other stuff in there. There was ample, ample room for a 13” laptop though.

The A30 works really well with the Pilot. They look good together, and it would be very easy to wear the A30 as a backpack while carrying the Pilot with the Absolute Strap, or to carry the A30 with the strap and the Pilot by hand.

The backpack straps were really comfortable. Okay, truth time: this was a car trip and I only really had to carry my bag from the car to the hotel, but I was wrangling a dog who was determined to dictate our path and/or trip me. The A30 moved with me without the need for the waist strap (note: not included) or even the sternum strap. Others may want the added stability. I think that if I had packed the A30 to its full capacity with poke-y objects, it could have gotten uncomfortable after carrying it for a while, but if it is packed properly and not too heavily for your particular strength, the straps should perform admirably, just like the ones on the A45.

What I would use this bag for, besides a weekend bag for my whole family:
    • Summer travel for just me, trips of any duration
    • Conference travel that did not require a suit (I do think a suit would fit if it wasn't too big; this is just my personal line in the sand)
    • Shorter winter trips
    • Any time I wanted to go on a short trip that required multiple pairs of shoes—I think that for that purpose the A30 makes more sense than the WF or TS.
    • As a bag for hauling research items from the library (in addition to my S25)

Features I really like:
    • The addition of zippers to the outer side compartment pockets
    • That my water bottle can fit in the side zippered pocket
    • The surprisingly capacious lid pocket
    • The ability to create more space in the main compartment via the zippered baffles
    • The new patch

Changes I would make?:
    Really, I can’t think of any changes I would make to this version of the Aeronaut. It looks really good, can hold a ton, and is comfortable to carry. I have a couple more trips of varying lengths before this summer is out, and, while I have other TB bags (as well as a couple of others on the way), it's going to be really hard for me not to take the A30. It is my new ballistic bff.

Thanks a lot @Badger you answered all my unspoken questions and showed me more!

Absolutely Great Review and photos!!
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Absolutely WONDERFUL review! Thank you so much for posting this. I don't have need of a travel bag at the moment but that hasn't stopped me contemplating which to get and this review has really helped quite a bit.

Thanks for the review! What is your assessment of how it would carry with shoulder strap rather than backpack straps? I am not a backpack carrier. Currently I am waiting for the zip-back WF to return to stock.

Sigh... Entering in credit card number now...

I think this is the perfect size for the wife, and I may even get a chance to steal if from her for shorter business trips. And just so I can tote around a different bag from time to time.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Thanks for the review Badger. Can I ask what a Bull's Pizzle is. Or am I really better off not knowing!

Breaking News:
    Please folks, don't bother replying. I feel like an idiot as the Long Haired General has just informed me what a pizzle is. To be exact, she never told me in so many words. She just laughed and just commented that it's been a while since she's seen a pizzle of any description. Well you know, it's been a busy time at work...

Just to add some new colours to your own paintbox, over in Scotland they are often refereed to as wallopers. A culinary dish par excellence, if you should ever visit these fair shores, is a deep fried sausage served with chips (or fries as they are called in the US). If it's edible, in Scotland we deep fry it - pizza's, sausages, steak pies, Mars bars...anyhoo, if you fancy a deep fried sausage and chips you ask for a walloper and chips.

You live and learn.
    Last edited by davys; 07-14-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by davys View Post
    Thanks for the review Badger. Can I ask what a Bull's Pizzle is. Or am I really better off not knowing!

Breaking News:
    Please folks, don't bother replying. I feel like an idiot as the Long Haired General has just informed me what a pizzle is. To be exact, she never told me in so many words. She just laughed and just commented that it's been a while since she's seen a pizzle of any description. Well you know, it's been a busy time at work...

Just to add some new colours to your own paintbox, over in Scotland they are often refereed to as wallopers. A culinary dish par excellence, if you should ever visit these fair shores, is a deep fried sausage served with chips (or fries as they are called in the US). If it's edible, in Scotland we deep fry it - pizza's, sausages, steak pies, Mars bars...anyhoo, if you fancy a deep fried sausage and chips you ask for a walloper and chips.

You live and learn.
    Don't feel bad. I don't have a dog, so i had to google "bull's pizzle" as well, just to confirm suspicions. Interestingly enough, when used in the context of dog chew toys, it is generally not a bull's ding dong, but is instead a piece of fibrous muscle that is cleaned, stretched, twisted, and baked/dried/smoked. That makes me feel better since the pizzle pictured in Badger's photos does not mesh with my unfortunate mental imagery of an actual bull pizzle.
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Impressive, Badger! But do you really make Mrs. B share your deodorant? ;-)

Thanks, @Badger! If I hadn't done so already, your post would have definitely convinced me to place an A30 order. As a matter of fact, it did prompt me to email TB and change my order to "Ship as Available" instead of waiting for both A30 and NFTD to be in stock Sigh. What to do til then...
    Ilkyway likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

taminca, that is exactly what I thought about to do. But it is just worth a medium sized bag to ship/custom to Germany so I will exercise patience and wait.

Quote Originally Posted by itsablur View Post
    Don't feel bad. I don't have a dog, so i had to google "bull's pizzle" as well, just to confirm suspicions. Interestingly enough, when used in the context of dog chew toys, it is generally not a bull's ding dong, but is instead a piece of fibrous muscle that is cleaned, stretched, twisted, and baked/dried/smoked. That makes me feel better since the pizzle pictured in Badger's photos does not mesh with my unfortunate mental imagery of an actual bull pizzle.
    Unfortunately the "fibrous muscle" does come from the walloper region of the bull. The ones I have at the moment are coiled into spirals.

Titus knows the word "pizzle" and gets super excited if you ask him if he wants one.

If you look up bull's pizzle in the Shakespearean context, it is a classic insult. And, in many an 18th century British novel, naughty gadabouts were given regular lashings with one.

ANYWAY. Back to our regularly scheduled content.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Thanks for the review! What is your assessment of how it would carry with shoulder strap rather than backpack straps? I am not a backpack carrier. Currently I am waiting for the zip-back WF to return to stock.
    GoStanford, it's very comfortable to carry with the strap. My biggest issue with the A45 is that, because I am short, I have trouble keeping the bag on my shoulder if I am also carrying a backpack (not an issue for you, I know, but possibly one for others?). The A30, because it is smaller, carries much more easily for me, even when I'm wearing a backpack. It's also more comfortable if you have to wear the bag cross-body for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great work, Badger!

I'm convinced. The A30 must be mine!
    ldave1 and eWalker like this.

Nice! I came close to being tempted, but my WF is still lighter than the A30 and I'm trying to pack less, not more

And as an amateur historian and Shakespeare fan, I admit I wince to see bulls' pizzles used as dog chews!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0