Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Like Tree296Likes

Thread: It's official: I am in love with the Aeronaut 30

Waited one day too long to order my A30 in dyneema. *sob* This is what I get for working instead of placing my TB order. Stupid job. Stupid, stupid job...

On the bright side, I enjoyed two visits from my friendly UPS driver this week. The first visit brought my long-awaited A45; a Pilot, Daylight Backpack, and assorted pouches arrived in the second visit. So, all is not sad in Gumby-land. Sure would like that A30, though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    ncb4 and bchaplin like this.
    Synapse 19, Co-Pilot, Side Effect, Small Cafe Bag, Western Flyer, Tri-Star, Travel Tray, Passport Pouch, Small Organizer Wallet (this is the little guy that started it all...), several Shop Bags and Organizer Pouches. More to come, I'm sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Waited one day too long to order my A30 in dyneema. *sob* This is what I get for working instead of placing my TB order. Stupid job. Stupid, stupid job...

On the bright side, I enjoyed two visits from my friendly UPS driver this week. The first visit brought my long-awaited A45; a Pilot, Daylight Backpack, and assorted pouches arrived in the second visit. So, all is not sad in Gumby-land. Sure would like that A30, though...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    So why order an A45 and A30 at the same time? Especially when you already have a WF and TS - what is need for all these bags? DO you have some kind of addiction? Maybe you need therapy!

More in love after the second date

I'm currently on a two week trip and here's what I packed in my A30:
    • Two pairs of shorts
    • 5 t-shirts
    • 4 chonies
    • 2 socks
    • A swimsuit and rash guard (which I will hopefully get to use if the thunderstorms would stop...)
    • 1 pair of slippers/flip-flops/zori what have you
    • 1 pair of Vibram FiveFingers
    • An insulated rain jacket
    • A fleece
    • A ball hat
    • A 3D Organizer Cube with toiletries
    • A full-size bottle of contact cleaner and another of shower gel
    • One size 2 Stuff Sack with sunscreen, bug spray, etc., and another with all my happy pills (it's not a vacation without a big sack of drugs!)
    • A full-size bottle of ibuprofen and another full-size bottle of Tums
    • My glasses
    • An empty Q-Kit to take care of change I accumulate

Naturally, the A30 held everything with ease. Once again, I decided to forgo packing cubes and, with careful folding, everything came out pretty wrinkle-free. It carried easily by hand.

Since every trip I take involves some sort of work, I brought along my Daylight Backpack with the following:
    • 15.4" MBP in slim case
    • Large OP containing paperwork and a large interdepartmental envelope with 100+ sheets of paper (big writing project)
    • Medium Clear OP containing pens, stamps, a Field Notes memo book, and a Kindle Paperwhite
    • Earbuds in a case and full-size headphones in a Large Yarn Stuff Sack
    • My splendid new Travel Tray with the following: MBP power brick and long cord, Jackery bar, retractable iPhone charger, micro to USB cable, and a full-length (6'?) extension cord.
    • Numerous packs of kleenex
    • A Field Notes steno book
    • A Small OP containing Advil, hand sanitizer, and mints
    • My sunglasses in their case

It all fit! It was definitely snug and it did feel heavy to lift but was surprisingly comfortable to wear. I am also very impressed with all the stuff that fit in the Travel Tray. It was great to know where all my tech stuff was living.

Overall, I really, really like the A30 for my casual summer travels. It's great that I don't need to count every ounce or square inch, that I can bring full-size toiletries, and, with the addition of the DLBP, that I have some wiggle room for some nice extras like the headphones. I can't recommend either of them highly enough.

As always, @badger, you amaze me with how efficiently you are able to pack for a two-week trip! And I'm guessing you put the Large OP in the main compartment of your Daylight, since I wasn't able to fit mine in the Front Zip Pocket. But I'm jealous, because I still have several weeks to wait before my A30 arrives. Hence the sad face

But what I want to know is whether you carry any kind of laundry detergent with you. The big sack of drugs I'm on board with; as an officially-designated WODZ—Walking Orthopedic Disaster Zone—I carry a pretty impressive array of drugs and liniments and ice packs and heating pads and electrical torture devices wherever I go. But with only four pairs of chonies, five t-shirts, two pairs of shorts, and no partridges in pear trees, you must be washing clothes every few days. But you didn't list any detergent.

Have a great trip!

~Nancy

PS And are you familiar with this line of products? I stumbled across them on Amazon the other night and of course I instantly thought of you. [Note: I have no relationship with this company, of which I've never heard before. But they've got great taste in names.]

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-08-06 at 2.55.09 PM.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  84.9 KB

Nancy, good question about the laundry. We did bring detergent and fabric softener and stain remover, but it's in the trunk of the car because that's where those items live (it's much easier to do a crapton of laundry at the laundromat and catch up with some video games—wait, I mean reading—while it runs). We're staying with family so even if we didn't bring our own we would have access to clothes washing. Never fear, Badger is an obsessive-compulsive badger who likes to be clean in all things.

And Badger products: yes! I use their lip balm, which has a marvelously happy badger on the tube. Cheers me up always.

I should have known that you'd already be using Badger products. Is the lip balm any good? I seem to be always on a quixotic quest for the perfect lip balm.

~Nancy

I like Badger lip balm mainly because it's not too ... hmm ... sludgy? It's emollient and can definitely penetrate into the skin but it doesn't just sit there for ages until you scrub it off with a kleenex. That really grosses me out in a lip balm. The mint is nice and light and doesn't burn, unlike some other mint lip balms. I'm pretty happy with it.
    ncb4 likes this.

Just ordered my A30 - can't wait! Before even reading this thread, my thoughts were that this would be a great bag when I wanted to bring one more pair of shoes on a work trip than will fit in the WF. When you're a size 12 and have to be able to workout while traveling, shoes become the item around which you decide which bag to bring...

My question for the OP: I noticed you have some liquids in a parapack 3D cube. Am I correct to assume that you do not fly with this setup? I use a clear 3D cube for my liquids in my WF.
    Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) & Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi) for me & Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel) for my wife
    Reserves: Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Ristretto for 11" MBAir (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
    My question for the OP: I noticed you have some liquids in a parapack 3D cube. Am I correct to assume that you do not fly with this setup? I use a clear 3D cube for my liquids in my WF.
    That's right—I prefer the opaque 3D cubes over the clear so I always use them if I'm traveling by car. I bust out the clear one for air travel.

I think you will really like the A30. Even though I wear a much smaller shoe size, I find that the Aeronaut shape lends itself to packing extra shoes so much more easily than the WF or TS, and the A30's smaller capacity is great for anything from weekend to weeklong trips. It's quickly becoming my favorite travel buddy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    That's right—I prefer the opaque 3D cubes over the clear so I always use them if I'm traveling by car. I bust out the clear one for air travel.

I think you will really like the A30. Even though I wear a much smaller shoe size, I find that the Aeronaut shape lends itself to packing extra shoes so much more easily than the WF or TS, and the A30's smaller capacity is great for anything from weekend to weeklong trips. It's quickly becoming my favorite travel buddy.

Thanks! Yes, I'm really looking forward to having more options when I travel for more than a night or two. There's definitely a place for both the WF and the A30 in my travel arsenal. The S25, of course, being my constant companion either way.

Active Duty: Synapse 25 (Black/Wasabi) & Western Flyer (Black/Wasabi) for me & Imago (Cardinal/Hemp/Steel) for my wife
    Reserves: Cadet 13/15 (Black/Wasabi), ID (Black/Steel/Wasabi), Ristretto for 11" MBAir (Black/Steel), Medium Cafe Bag (Olive/Wasabi)

Just packed my A30 (black/steel dyneema) for its first trip tomorrow (Pilot also packed and ready)!
    My Tom Bihn Obsession: Western Flyer (black/steel); Aeronaut 30 (black/steel); Co-Pilot #1 (black/steel); Co-Pilot #2 (black Dyneema/wasabi);Pilot (black/ultraviolet); Night Flight #1 (black/steel); Night Flight #2 (black Dyneema/wasabi); many packing cubes; Side Effect #1 (black); Side Effect #2 (black Dyneema); passport holder (steel); wallet (steel); travel tray (ultraviolet); various key straps; various fabric cubes; various pouches; Q kit #1 (black); Q kit #2 (steel).

It all started with an Iberian keystrap - wow these forums are dangerous. Next thing I know, I've got an A30 and packing cubes in the basket too. I may finally break my no-backpack tradition for the A30, as I'd like to use it to have hands-free travel for short trips.

In case @Marsha sees this (post above mine) - it would be great to hear how you use your duplicate bags based on the differences in material. This topic has popped up in a couple of other threads - the various uses of ballistic vs. Dyneema and how having duplicates can be helpful for business vs. personal travel, office gear vs. weekend gear, etc.

GoStanford-- will definitely answer your question. Give me a couple of days to get over the bad cold I brought home and I promise I will!
    My Tom Bihn Obsession: Western Flyer (black/steel); Aeronaut 30 (black/steel); Co-Pilot #1 (black/steel); Co-Pilot #2 (black Dyneema/wasabi);Pilot (black/ultraviolet); Night Flight #1 (black/steel); Night Flight #2 (black Dyneema/wasabi); many packing cubes; Side Effect #1 (black); Side Effect #2 (black Dyneema); passport holder (steel); wallet (steel); travel tray (ultraviolet); various key straps; various fabric cubes; various pouches; Q kit #1 (black); Q kit #2 (steel).

Quote Originally Posted by Marsha View Post
    GoStanford-- will definitely answer your question. Give me a couple of days to get over the bad cold I brought home and I promise I will!
    Feel better soon! Cold and flu season is starting.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    It all started with an Iberian keystrap - wow these forums are dangerous. Next thing I know, I've got an A30 and packing cubes in the basket too. I may finally break my no-backpack tradition for the A30, as I'd like to use it to have hands-free travel for short trips.
    It's all about saving those add'l shipping charges =)
    Synapse25 | Pilot | Aeronaut 45 | CoPilot | Large DOP | SideEffect | 3D Organizer Cubes | Q-Kit | #1 & #2 Stuff Sacks

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0