Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree296Likes

Thread: It's official: I am in love with the Aeronaut 30

Volunteer Moderator
    @rabergnc I was going to tease @Badger about having left out this important detail in her all-encompassing earlier review of the A30, given her interests and expertise in this area, but desisted, because this seemed unfair. @NWhikergal likely needed the wine to help in recovering from those nasty bee stings in the course of taking photos of the Night Flight Travel Duffel, etc., and I hope she feels much better. As I recall, you were the first to post pictures of the (original) Shop Bag in use, carried inside out, so the pockets could more easily carry bottles of wine, without cramping the carrying capacity of the bag!

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 07-18-2014 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Typos

Ah yes - long ago and not so far away!! The ability to easily carry wine drives a number of my decisions when it comes to bags. Seriously, seeing a wine bottle in the side pocket gives me a good idea of size and capacity - important considerations given the limited number of bags I have room to keep!
    RDR3 likes this.

I have to admit: I hadn't considered the A30's booze-toting capacities last weekend, mostly because I was recovering from a vomitous migraine and (gasp) liquor didn't sound appealing at the time. Before I was struck down, I was actually going to stuff one of the end compartments full of champagne. The Champagne of Beers, that is . I think it could hold 8. Possibly 10. Maybe I should go home right now and find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    Here is what Iím packing for a trip to London in late August on United (5 nights in a hotel by myself with hangers to dry clothes if I wash them, hairdryer, bathroom in the room; and will need 1-2 outfits a day):
    - 4 thin tops that wash well in the sink and dry wrinkle free
    - 1 cami
    - 2 thin cardigans (one more formal, one casual)
    - 1 skort (from Athleta, quick dry, super thin fabric)
    - 1 pair of skinny jeans (I know what youíre thinking--but I can easily wear these 3x without losing shape and I love them)
    - 1 maxi skirt (probably my bulkiest item, but one of my favorites so I would be happy wearing more than once)
    - 1 dress (probably ExOfficio Go To dress that packs thin and washes easily)
    - 1 pair of Camper ballet flats that pack very flat (sprayed with waterproofing spray for the London drizzle and capable of 10+ mile walks)
    - 1 pair of Born gladiator sandals that can also be used to dress up in the evening (eg Theater), but I can also walk 10 miles in them if needed OR Ecco Groove sandal
    - 1 towel (one of those REI super absorbent kind)
    - 1 waterproof shell with hood
    - 3 pairs of underwear
    - 1 bra
    - 1 pair of Smartwool socks (maybe-I could wash the ones I wear on the plane because I wonít need socks everyday)
    - 1 tankini (we are going to the Olympic swimming centre that is open to the public)
    - Nightshirt (super thin)
    - Spare Ziploc bags
    - all the other non-clothing stuff mentioned above, plus:
    o bandaids/foot powder (not sure I really need the latter because my shoes can take me 10+ miles a day without problems) and I can buy there if needed. But a few bandaids are easy to pack.
    o my wallet will be replaced with a Pacsafe neck pouch that will also hold my passport and my global entry card with RFID protection
    Iím sure Iím over-packing for such a short trip so I am totally open to feedback. I will likely buy a scarf (my favorite souvenir) and a pair of shoes in London (that are very hard to get here in the states).

On the plane:
    - pair of City pants from Athleta with an elastic waist (same thin washable/quick dry fabric as skort) that transitions well from day to night
    - quick dry t-shirt
    - thin hoodie (I might ditch this one and wear the one I listed above, but this one is slightly warmer)
    - thin pair of Smartwool socks
    - minimalist tennies
    - scarf (for use as a pillow on the plane-my favorite accessory so I have to bring one)
    - wedding ring/watch (no other jewelry)
    - Fitbit
    - Snacks
    - Water bottle (that I will buy at the airport)
    - Iím not opposed to carrying a small bag as my personal item, likely a Travelon messenger bag that is big enough for stashing my daily needs and waterproof shell.
    Sorry it's taken me a little while to replyóI had to put on my thinking cap a bit for this.

If I've done the math correctly, you are going to England with 7 tops and 4 bottoms, if you count what you're wearing on the plane and your dress as a bottom. You're also bringing 3 pairs of shoes, and have plans to buy one other pair, so you'll return home with 4 pairs of shoes. My opinion on this is that, yeah, it's kind of a lot, but if you can carry it and not have to wash much besides your underwear, then maybe that's worth it. But if you're interested in trying to cut some items, here are some suggestions:

First, think about what clothing items you MUST have. Let's say you keep all the items you are planning to wear onto the plane, plus your underwear, the dress, the sandals, swimsuit, and the scarf. That list would then look like this:

Athleta pants
    Quick-dry T-shirt
    Lightweight hoodie
    tennis shoes/socks
    scarf
    3 pairs of chonies/1 bra
    dress
    sandals
    swimsuit

You've gone from 25+ items to 13 items. And if you threw in maybe one more shirt, you could totally do 5 nights with that list. I'm not suggesting you actually have to do this; rather, it is sometimes helpful to see how little you actually need. So I guess my first piece of advice would be to set out everything you absolutely must have for the trip.

Now let's look critically at tops. You have your one t-shirt you're wearing on the plane and a hoodie. Add 4 more quick-dry shirts, a cami, 2 cardigans. I am guessing that you could probably get away with 3 t-shirts, including the one you're wearing, or 2 t-shirts plus the cami, the hoodie, and the more formal cardigan. So now you have 3 short-sleeved/sleeveless and 2 long-sleeved items.

With bottoms, you have your plane pants, your jeans, a skirt, a skort, and a dress. For the amount of time you're traveling, I honestly think you could get away with two or three bottoms. For example, the pants and the skirt. Or maybe the plane pants, the jeans (three wearings) and the dress. Something like that.

Shoes: It seems like your shoes will take up virtually no room, but just in case. You said that your flats and your sandals are capable of doing 10+ mile walks. Is there any need for the tennis shoes, then? I guess there's a possibility that it could be cold or something, but the tennis shoes actually sound like the odd item out of your whole packing list. Another thing to ask is if the new shoes could be pressed into service straight away. If so, maybe one pair of the shoes can stay home.

To summarize the three paragraphs above: I would try to augment the "must-have" items with auxiliary items that can perform more than one function and that don't necessarily require a wash after one wearing. Thus, my final version of your list might look like this:

Athleta pants (plane)
    Quick-dry T-shirt (plane)
    Lightweight hoodie (plane)
    flats (plane)
    scarf (plane)

1 quick-dry shirt
    1 cami
    1 more formal cardigan
    1 pair skinny jeans
    1 maxi skirt
    3 pairs of chonies/1 bra
    sandals
    swimsuit
    rain jacket
    nightshirt

I'm not sure how realistic this is given your schedule, your activities, and your willingness to launder, and of course I don't know what's vital. I did try to include the things you like to wear, and I'm assuming that all the tops go with all the bottoms. But traveling with 5 items on you and 13 items packed is not too shabby. If the list I proposed above looks like just not enough, maybe try this: take away one of everything that has multiples (i.e., 1 t-shirt, 1 cardigan, 1 bottom garment, etc.). If you don't feel stressed or deprived with just a little less, you will likely find it easier to pack less the next time.

The only other thing that comes to mind is to write down plans both before and after your trip: beforehand, write down the function of each item you're packing, and even what day you'll wear it. If you are only wearing the item once (barring the swimsuit), could it be left behind? After the trip, make a note of what you didn't wear, what you wished you had with you, and what was nice to have but not strictly necessary. This information will help you make more informed packing choices the next time you have a trip of similar duration and with similar activities.

But let me reiterate: while your list has more items than I might take, I don't think it's crazily extravagant, and you have to do what will work for you. I hope this wasn't too overwhelming; it was a good thought exercise for me, and I hope you find it helpful!

First of all, @Badger, thanks so much for starting this thread, and for putting so much thought and energy—and zaniness—into your posts. I am sorry your trip to Chicago was marred by a yucky migraine, however. I hope you are fully recovered and able once again to enjoy everything from champagne to the champagne of bottled beers. So how many of the latter can the end pocket of the A30 hold? Crucial information which ought to be listed in the bag dimensions on the TB website.

My question to you is this. If I already own a beautiful Aubergine A45—and that's not hypothetical; I do—and I have a beautiful Aubergine NightFlight on order, is there a reason to own a beautiful Aubergine A30 as well? I certainly covet one, but on a pragmatic level, do I need both? I'm 5'8", so the length and size of the A45 aren't an issue for me.

And I'm not particularly good at packing light. I'm better than I was, but I still pack for contingencies—the what if I need this? school of packing. I don't think I'm going to stop doing that either, because on too many occasions, the what if? has actually occurred, and I've had to scramble for a way to get somewhere where I could buy the thing I really, really needed but had left behind on the bed at home.

[It happened on my most recent trip, as a matter of fact, when I was I had to drive twenty minutes to find the nearest drugstore for some toiletries I ran out of. I was also very glad that I had "overpacked" so many shirts, because I didn't have the time or energy to do laundry when I got home from the hospital every night after staying with my mom. Who is recovering nicely now.]

So I'm never going to a model subject of the Principality of Packing Light, I'm afraid, unlike the once-and-future real-life princess Grace Kelly, with her fabulous overnight case in the movie Rear Window. She opens this elegant case and out pops a frothy peignoir!

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 7.01.30 PM.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  59.1 KB

That being said, as someone who has had neck fusion surgery, I am concerned about the weight of a bag, and how ergonomic it is to carry. So I suppose for that reason, the A30 should be on my wish list. But is there enough difference between the A45 and the A30 to own both?

Chime in anyone!

~Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by ncb4 View Post
    I hope you are fully recovered and able once again to enjoy everything from champagne to the champagne of bottled beers. So how many of the latter can the end pocket of the A30 hold? Crucial information which ought to be listed in the bag dimensions on the TB website.
    Nancy, I can never refuse you.

I will answer your other questions in more detail when I am a) at my computer and b) not drinking wine (Rosť! Very summery!).

But to answer the most important and burning question: the A30's side pocket holds 5 cans* of Milwaukee gold:

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405729674.625746.jpg
Views: 639
Size:  283.9 KB

That means I could safely transport 10 cans, simply by using the side pockets! Now, if that's not a reason to not pack shoes, I really don't know what is.

*I'm really glad it was 5. Because I just don't know where the rest of that 30-pack went! I should look into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So let me get this straight, Badger—you're not certain where 25 cans of beer went? It sounds like a great party; too bad I wasn't in the neighborhood

Enjoy your rosť, and you can get back to me later with the deep philosophical answer to that great existential dilemma: A45, A30, or both? No rosť here, but I can offer you some of my ought-to-be-famous peach daiquiris. I do live in the Peach State, after all.

Uh yeah. Party. That's what it was...

The next time I'm in Georgia in the summer I'm definitely coming to your house! Get the blender out!

ncb4 likes this.

@Badger, thanks so much for your thoughtful analysis. I have definitely been rethinking my packing list as it relates to clothing. I, too, thought I should ditch the tennies. Especially knowing that I don't plan on trekking in the mud as I will be in the city the entire time and the Campers are probably my most comfortable pairs of shoes, and cute to boot (I do like pretty things). If I need a break, I know my feet will be very happy in my sandals too. These are two shoes I have been wearing most of the summer so I'm going to stop listening to my friends who insist I need tennies. I am leaning toward fewer bottoms and more tops since I know I can get more usage from the bottoms before needing to wash them. My new list:

On the plane:
    Athleta pants
    Quick dry t
    Light weight hoodie
    Scarf
    Thin socks to slip on for warmth
    Camper ballet flats

Packing:
    3 quick dry/light weight shirts
    Athleta skort
    Skinny Jeans (will replace with a dress if it continues to be warm there)
    1 cami
    1 dressier cardigan
    2 "chonies" (new word for me)/1 bra
    rain jacket
    nightshirt
    sandals
    swimsuit (jury is out on this for me, I don't even like swimming in a pool so I'm thinking this may be something my colleague does on his own and I can go shop for shoes)

I'm not fully confident I will find the shoes in London as my EU 35 size is very difficult to find. If they were, they would be immediately serviceable based on what I know the comfort level of Fly London to be for me. It's wishful thinking on my part as their website is completely out of stock in my size. I like to say I'm a shoe collector but my partner views it more as an obsession so I've promised to only look for shoes at this one store.

So, about 18-19 items. I'm going to practice packing this weekend and see how things fit in a few current bags I own. Thanks again for all of your thoughtful feedback. Many who know me can't believe that I do 90% of my traveling with carry on only (I kinda like clothes and shoes and bags--a lot), but obviously, I have a lot of room for improvement. I've been practicing this week on re-wearing items of clothing to see how I felt about it and I was actually OK with it. I wore my skinny jeans twice, the Athleta pants twice and my skort once (the "polar vortex" we had earlier this week helped in my practicing). And I wore the dressier cardigan 3 times and the light hoodie twice. I did, however, wear 5 shirts because I'm trying to figure out which 3 I want to take. I also only wore my Campers and Sofft (not Born, my bad) sandals and made sure to take extra walks across campus and around town (about 5-7 miles per day) to convince myself I could pack only 1 pair.

Hope the weekend will keep the migraines away. And that you get to enjoy all that beer. Cheers to you!

I'll get all four blenders out: no waiting!

@Badger, I just did a test pack with my revised list thanks to your feedback. It actually all fit in my Tumi Everett tote, including my toiletries, iPad mini, and a rolled up Travelon messenger bag. I still have room to spare for the shoes I want to buy and snacks/water bottle. If I need my room I can use the messenger bag as my personal item on the way home. I have a little Pacsafe neck pouch filled with ID, credit cards, gum, phone, ear plugs, Chapstick, and my Bose earbuds for now. The bag weighs 10 lbs total (it's a heavy bag already at over 3 lbs). I've been carrying the bag around while walking my dog, getting the mail, etc with no issues. So the bad news is that my current bag will work for London. This is actually good because I couldn't get a new TB before I leave for my trip next month. The good news is that now I know I can pack for my Spring break trip to London in the A30! And I can test it out over Thanksgiving when I do a planes, trains, and automobile trip to NJ and NY.

Now the dreaded decision on colors. It's between the Steel/UV and Aubergine.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement.

@Badger, I hold you personally responsible for the Aubergine A30 I just ordered. Your review eroded what little will power I had.

Zero. Self. Control. And I wasn't even drinking peach daiquiris when I made the order either!

~Nancy

@Badger, I hold you personally responsible for the Aubergine A30 I just ordered. Your review eroded what little will power I had.

Zero. Self. Control. And I wasn't even drinking peach daiquiris when I made the order either!

~Nancy
    Congrats, Nancy! Aubergine Rules . Hopefully, we won't have to wait too long...
    ncb4 and Ilkyway like this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

~Nancy
    That is impressive! I hadn't even given you my reasons for why the A30 and A45 are different enough to warrant owning both...

This reply is a bit belated then, and perhaps not too helpful, but I think that the answer is "yes." I am really starting to see the A45 as my extended road-tripping or going abroad for a month bag, and the A30 for most everything else. I think the A30 is capable of handling a LOT more than one might think at first sight, so I do believe you should be able to squeeze in a few just-in-case items with no problem.

Just to recap, because I was packing for two I had essentially a week's worth of clothing in the 30 and I could have gotten in more--maybe a pair of pants, another couple shirts, and a light jacket. It was effortless to carry and I think that while you will want to pack judiciously at first to make sure it doesn't overburden your shoulder, you'll be able to get a lot out of this bag, especially since the packing method is more or less the same.

I'm sure the two of you will be very happy together. 😊

ncb4 and Ilkyway like this.

Is there such a thing like post-enabeling? If so you get definitely points for it. I had ordered the A30 but you make me wish it could be here as soon as possible.

So post-enabeling-points for Badger!
    ncb4 likes this.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0