Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree297Likes

Thread: It's official: I am in love with the Aeronaut 30

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    You can fit the A30 inside the main compartment of the A45. Not sure why you’d want to. Actually, I do. Alien.
    This made my morning. Thank you.
    ldave1 and eWalker like this.

So people have actually received their Aeronaut 30s?
    ldave1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    So people have actually received their Aeronaut 30s?
    Yup. Looks like the first batch of black ballistic bags went out! Lucky bastards
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Let's hope Aubergine/wasabi is next.
    Hawaii likes this.

All of TB travel bags are extraordinarily easy to carry by the side handle and top handles.

Unlike other bags, that lose their center of gravity to bang hips, knee or front by pivoting at the most awkward moment.

They are easy to keep upright, like rollers, but without the bulk.

With the A30 more people will be able to take advantage of that option.

Hi! First time poster, longtime lurker. Thanks for this wonderful review and great pictures. Do you happen to know any petite women (5 ft-5'2" or so) that you could take pictures of with the A30 vs 45? I have far too many bags already, but not a single TB and I would love an Aeronaut for my travels. I'm trying to move away from my Tumi two wheel international bag and want to start traveling lighter.

I know one quite well, being one myself. However, I am short, not petite, and I've found that bags that look normal on me often look much bigger on smaller framed women.

I will say that, especially as a backpack, the 45 doesn't appear much larger than the 30. I think that volume, rather than length, might be a good consideration. The extra 15 L on the 45 can lend themselves very well to the creation of a heavy load. On the other hand, if you're just starting out with packing lighter, having more space to work with can make things less daunting, and perhaps even confidence building when you see that you could probably travel with less.

Do you have a usual packing list? If you post it, and make sure you note any must-have items, that may allow people here to offer suggestions about a good bag to try.

Welcome, and so glad you delurked 😉

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice pics and post, Badger Great stuff!
    Steel-Ultraviolet Western Flyer (rolling-luggage-version) | Black Cordura-Wasabi Synapse 25 | Black Dyneema-Wasabi Side Effect | Aubergine-Wasabi Co-Pilot | Navy-Iberian Co-Pilot | Iberian Travel Tray | Nordic Large Shop Bag | Ultraviolet Travel Stuff Sack Size #2 | Ultraviolet Small Clear Organizer Pouch | Kiwi Q-Kit | Steel Nano Parapack Pouch | Wasabi 3D Organizer Pouch

Thanks for the input, Badger, and for the offer of reviewing my packing list. Typically, with my Tumi, I will almost always overpack, even when I think I'm packing light. Because I can. Because there is room. And then I usually buy stuff and everything still fits. I’ve packed for a 9-day trip to Italy with my Tumi (22x14x9), but also brought a peronsal item. I am still strong enough to lift this into the overhead compartment without assistance (I never like to travel any other way). I was able to do laundry, but did not wear everything I brought. I’ll give you a few scenarios so you can get a sense of what i can fit in my bag and what I plan to take on an upcoming trip. I like to use packing cubes/sleeves/small bags for my things. I am not a fan of loose things in my bag outside of my brush. I am a much happier person when my things are organized when I travel. ☺

Summer Chicago (it was hot): 3 Nights, bus and train travel, with no re-wearing of clothes (keep in mind, my clothes are small)
    The Bag (totally stuffed): a Calvin Klein tote with an OP/Tech mini SOS shoulder strap: 17 x 13 x 5 (but it tapers at the top), unstructured
    - Magellan large packing cube (14 x 10 1/2 x 4):
    o Skort
    o Maxi dress
    o Thin SS cardigan
    o Thin Coolibar LS hoodie
    o Maxi skirt
    o 2 tops
    - Magellan Small packing cube (10 1/2 x 7 x 4):
    o 4 unmentionables
    o PJs (top and bottom as I was sharing a room with my brother and his family)
    o Mesh shower thingy to wash my body
    - 3-1-1 bag for toiletries:
    o shampoo, conditioner, in 1.7 oz bottles (can last over a week)
    o two moisturizers, eye cream, hair cream in very small containers (50% smaller than the small GoTubbs)—these will last over a week
    o 1 oz tinted BB cream
    o bar of Dr. Bronner’s soap (for body, face, and washing clothes, if needed)
    o toothpaste
    o razor
    o deodorant
    o 1oz GoToob container of coconut oil
    - slim Tumi accessory bag for makeup/brushes (I’m working on paring this down)
    - 1 pair of gladiator sandals (Size 5) in a shoe bag (I wore my fit flops to Chicago)
    - large paddle brush
    - electronic toothbrush (luxury item, but for an international trip I'll take a travel toothbrush)

I carried a very small DaKine backpack that held my wallet, iPad mini, phone, sunglass case, hair clip, and a small mesh sleeve (8 x 6) for chargers, chapstick, tea bags, small tub of lotion, screen wipe, ear buds, one necklace in a pouch, snacks, and a water bottle.
    While I was there I bought 4 tops, 2 scarves, and a tiny purse. And my siblings bought me a new Tumi bag, the Everett Essential Tote (I didn’t need it, but they saw me admire it and mention how lovely it would look with my Tumi bag so they surprised me with it for my birthday). This bag is 16 x 11.5 x 6.5. On the way home, I stuffed the Calvin Klein bag in the new bag, along with all my stuff that I brought and bought. Strangely, the Tumi seemed to hold more than the other bag because this was also packed full but contained more stuff. Both of these two bags are great weekend bags or good personal item for trips where I want more clothing options so I’m not thinking about an A30/45 as a weekend bag.
    Here is what I’m packing for a trip to London in late August on United (5 nights in a hotel by myself with hangers to dry clothes if I wash them, hairdryer, bathroom in the room; and will need 1-2 outfits a day):
    - 4 thin tops that wash well in the sink and dry wrinkle free
    - 1 cami
    - 2 thin cardigans (one more formal, one casual)
    - 1 skort (from Athleta, quick dry, super thin fabric)
    - 1 pair of skinny jeans (I know what you’re thinking--but I can easily wear these 3x without losing shape and I love them)
    - 1 maxi skirt (probably my bulkiest item, but one of my favorites so I would be happy wearing more than once)
    - 1 dress (probably ExOfficio Go To dress that packs thin and washes easily)
    - 1 pair of Camper ballet flats that pack very flat (sprayed with waterproofing spray for the London drizzle and capable of 10+ mile walks)
    - 1 pair of Born gladiator sandals that can also be used to dress up in the evening (eg Theater), but I can also walk 10 miles in them if needed OR Ecco Groove sandal
    - 1 towel (one of those REI super absorbent kind)
    - 1 waterproof shell with hood
    - 3 pairs of underwear
    - 1 bra
    - 1 pair of Smartwool socks (maybe-I could wash the ones I wear on the plane because I won’t need socks everyday)
    - 1 tankini (we are going to the Olympic swimming centre that is open to the public)
    - Nightshirt (super thin)
    - Spare Ziploc bags
    - all the other non-clothing stuff mentioned above, plus:
    o bandaids/foot powder (not sure I really need the latter because my shoes can take me 10+ miles a day without problems) and I can buy there if needed. But a few bandaids are easy to pack.
    o my wallet will be replaced with a Pacsafe neck pouch that will also hold my passport and my global entry card with RFID protection
    I’m sure I’m over-packing for such a short trip so I am totally open to feedback. I will likely buy a scarf (my favorite souvenir) and a pair of shoes in London (that are very hard to get here in the states).

On the plane:
    - pair of City pants from Athleta with an elastic waist (same thin washable/quick dry fabric as skort) that transitions well from day to night
    - quick dry t-shirt
    - thin hoodie (I might ditch this one and wear the one I listed above, but this one is slightly warmer)
    - thin pair of Smartwool socks
    - minimalist tennies
    - scarf (for use as a pillow on the plane-my favorite accessory so I have to bring one)
    - wedding ring/watch (no other jewelry)
    - Fitbit
    - Snacks
    - Water bottle (that I will buy at the airport)
    - I’m not opposed to carrying a small bag as my personal item, likely a Travelon messenger bag that is big enough for stashing my daily needs and waterproof shell.

I will be taking the Tube from the airport to London and the Tube stop is less than a quarter mile to my hotel. I don’t anticipate a ton of walking with my things, but do plan on taking public transport in many places I would be going with an A30/45 and prefer to be as unobtrusive as possible.
    I will be going back to London in March (with 18-20 college freshmen!) for 9 days. In which case, I’ll wear a pair of ankle boots and pack one pair of minimalist tennies, I’ll likely wear a thin down coat that packs very small or a trench coat, 2 more pairs of socks, ditch the dress, maxi skirt, and skort, while adding a pair of pants and leggings and change-up the tops a bit with lightweight merino wool sweaters/tunics and an extra fleece layer. I might need to add a thin pair of gloves and hat, depending on weather. I would not anticipate souvenirs on this trip. While these trips are for work, I do not need to dress up at all.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Pokilani View Post
    Hi! First time poster, longtime lurker. Thanks for this wonderful review and great pictures. Do you happen to know any petite women (5 ft-5'2" or so) that you could take pictures of with the A30 vs 45? I have far too many bags already, but not a single TB and I would love an Aeronaut for my travels. I'm trying to move away from my Tumi two wheel international bag and want to start traveling lighter.
    If you don't mind my jumping into this thread, I can attach a couple of photos of a petite 5'3" person wearing an A30. Thank you, @Badger, your great photos and info pushed me through intrigued and into enabled regarding the A30, and made me want it in black.

Name:  A30.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  95.7 KBName:  A30 3.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  87.5 KB

ETA: I should have tightened the shoulder straps more before I took the photo, as the A30 should not be tilted back so far on my back.
    Last edited by NWhikergal; 07-17-2014 at 10:29 PM.

One more interesting and random tidbit. It seems the the A30 side pockets can easily accommodate a wine bottle with ample room to spare. Just in case anyone needs to urgently carry a wine bottle in their A30, lol.

Name:  A30 wine.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  127.9 KB

@NWhikergal, thanks so much! That looks perfect on you. I'm only 5'1" and I'm worried the A45 will drown me out. I think I need to cut my packing list and do some practice packing.

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post
    One more interesting and random tidbit. It seems the the A30 side pockets can easily accommodate a wine bottle with ample room to spare. Just in case anyone needs to urgently carry a wine bottle in their A30, lol.

Now you're talking!

Seems like a second bottle, oriented in the other direction, is just ASKING to be placed on top. I meannnn, one needs both white and red options....amiright?

Quote Originally Posted by NWhikergal View Post

At last -- a real reason to justify getting an A30!!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0