Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree94Likes

Thread: Lil' ol' A30 of mine (or, first impressions...)

Quote Originally Posted by eWalker View Post
    Since 1972 - Made in USA
    No, that would be the bottom line. What does it say above that?

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    I think that is a city skyline--seattle perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by thorn View Post
    It doesn't say anything. It's a city skyline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Procrastination fail. I'd been hemming and hawing ordering a steel/UV A30 for the wife, hoping to see more pictures of it in action before pulling the trigger, and now it is in the same late September backorder bucket as the black BN A30s. D'oh!!!

We would need the bag for early October, so I guess that SHOULD still be ok. OR I switch to her alternate colour combination: Aubergine/Wasabi. Dilemma dilemma...

If only my cousin's wife who we are travelling with didn't already have an Aubergine/Steel TS...

Sent from my Iconia W4-820 using Tapatalk
    Own: Aeronaut 45 (Navy/Iberian), Aeronaut 30 (Steel/Ultraviolet), Night Flight (Coyote/Steel), Guide's Pack (Steel), Synapse 19 (Olive/Steel), Daylight (Navy), Aeronaut Packing Cube Backpack (Wasabi), Founder's Briefcase (Black), Pilot (Steel 400d/Steel), Co-Pilot (Black/Iberian), Side Effect (Black/Ultraviolet), Travel Tray (Iberian), various cubes, pouches, sacks, and straps

Want: EVERYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I don't need an A30. I already have a WF and TS. I don't need an A30, I don't need an A30, I don't need...
    Quote Originally Posted by bb93fo57 View Post
    Am repeating that same mantra!

Definitely don't need an A30, since I have a TS and WF, too, but that doesn't make me want one any less...
    @Moose and @bb93fo57, I was right there with you in repeating that mantra for several days before finally succumbing. And this was BEFORE seeing @Idave1's lovely photos! Resistance is futile.
    Last edited by taminca; 07-12-2014 at 07:01 AM.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    @Moose and @bb93fo57, I was right there with you in repeating that mantra for several days before finally succumbing. And this was BEFORE seeing @Idave1's lovely photos! Resistance is futile.
    @taminca: Haha. Yep, I am starting to get that feeling! :-)

Am already hard at work on a good solid rationalization.

My decision is getting a little easier now that one of the colors I'd been considering (Steel/UV) just went on later backorder (as @itsablur noted above), so now I don't need to debate between it and Steel/Wasabi.
    Last edited by bb93fo57; 07-12-2014 at 07:11 AM.
    Current Traveling Companions:
    Steel Ballistic: Western Flyer (w/Iberian), Pilot (w/UV)
    Black Dyneema: Tri-Star (w/Iberian), Aeronaut30 (w/Iberian), Synapse25 (w/Wasabi), Pilot (w/Wasabi)

Quote Originally Posted by bb93fo57 View Post
    @taminca: Haha. Yep, I am starting to get that feeling! :-)

Am already hard at work on a good solid rationalization.

My decision is getting a little easier now that one of the colors I'd been considering (Steel/UV) just went of later backorder, so now I don't need to debate between it and Steel/Wasabi!
    If it weren't for my undying love of Aubergine, Steel/Wasabi would have been my pick given all of the wonderful photos of Steel Ballistic bags Forum members have posted. (I do not yet have a TB bag in Steel.) WHEN you get that Steel/Wasabi A30, @bb93fo57, please post photos
    Ilkyway likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    If it weren't for my undying love of Aubergine, Steel/Wasabi would have been my pick given all of the wonderful photos of Steel Ballistic bags Forum members have posted. (I do not yet have a TB bag in Steel.) WHEN you get that Steel/Wasabi A30, @bb93fo57, please post photos
    Yes, PLEASE POST. I am on the fence about a ballistic A30. I *would* order the steel/wasabi combo given the current choices, but I am hesitant about going with the ballistic fabric. I also already have the A45, TS, and WF.... I would love the A30 in parapack or more dyneema options. I have tried twice to love black dyneema and both times the bags went back :/

Color combos that would seal the deal: Nordic exterior (wishful thinking), Solar interior (chances probably aren't good here, either), Black or Steel parapack exterior... new 400d Dyneema exterior (ultra super-duper stop the presses order everything wishful thinking).
    eWalker likes this.

For those who get the A30 early, I'd be really interested in knowing what personal bag works well with it. I am really torn between my Synapse 19 (which means I would carry the A30), and a shoulder bag (which means I could wear the A30 on my back). The trip I'm using it for involves lots of long flights with layovers, and then travel via public transportation where I'll be walking a lot.

I ordered the black dyneema A30. I also was really vacillating between dyneema and ballistic. Parapack would have been an interesting option, though my experience so far is that it smudges more easily than any other material. I'm kind of betting on the bag being small enough so that I can keep it with me all the time, (not checking it or throwing it underneath a bus in the luggage hold), which may turn out to be an optimistic assumption.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

@bchaplin, you can keep it with you all the time. It would work great with a Pilot or Co-pilot, or with a synapse if you want to carry the A30 using the strap.

Here's the A30 next to an S19 for scale; hope it helps.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405187899.589483.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  281.1 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, @Badger!
    Ideally, I'd take my Synapse with me, because I think it would do a better job of fitting the overflow items than my Co-Pilot, and it would make a good day bag. But that means I need to handle the A30 using the shoulder strap all the time, which is probably OK (?). It is not that much larger than my Western Flyer was, and that wasn't a problem to hand-carry.
    eWalker likes this.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0