Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By weirdguy
  • 3 Post By tpnl

Thread: Aeronaut 45, Brain Cell: Vertical Size 1 & Horizontal M2

Aeronaut 45, Brain Cell: Vertical Size 1 & Horizontal M2

Hoooray! I received my first Tom Bihn purchase yesterday afternoon. It was such a big big box and its contents were only half filled. I'm sure there is reason for such purpose.

Refering TB's Return Policy.
    Please ship the bag back to us in the original packaging if possible. If the original packaging is not available, package the bag in a generously sized, crushproof box: do not fold, roll, or otherwise stuff the a bag into a smaller container, as this can permanently damage the bag.
    Luckily TB provide affordable Shipping Fees. It might cost more than double of USD45 to ship with US Forwarder to my region - SE Asia.

Just in case, someone is curious of the content or my purchase.
    Aeronaut 45 Navy/Solar
    2 Brain Cells: Size 1 & M2
    2 Travel Trays (Solar, Iberian)
    2 Packing Cubes for A45 (Black Dyneema)
    1 Large Organizer Pouch (420d Olive)
    3 Key Straps (2 Black, 1 Solar)
    1 Snake Charmer (420d Olive)

Right after I got home and opened the box like my 12th Birthday. Lol. I don't think I ever open such a gift box this big, though I had put such a big hole in my wallet with such big box purchase. Nevertheless, I'm very glad to join TB user base. TB's Quality is undoubtedly great.

I shared my unbox session with my siblings, my wife (she kept trying to convince me to expose the pricing of each bag/things that I unboxed) and my mum. They were impressed with the Quality and my sister really love the mechanics of A45 - hideable Backpacks straps and also its color. When she compare her newly purchase "set of Packing Cube", she was dumbfounded with my TB Cube. Hers really "China", one could feel it would break at anytime when you zip/unzip. Of course, the price of TB is more than quadruple of hers.

A few hours later when I still feel overly excited with my new TB A45 and also excitement to bring it to my next trip to Taiwan this September with my wife and siblings. No check -in. Just A45 and a my wife's backpack (non-TB). With full of excitement energy, I did a trial test with A45. I fitted the following.

6 Long/Short Pants include 2 Light Jeans
    18 T-Shirts/Polo
    12 Pairs of Stocking
    12 Underwears
    6 Bras
    6 bottle 100ml Liquids

There are still plenty of space. However, its weight already hold at 8.2Kg. Maximum Carriage allow for Asia well-known budget airlines - Airasia is only 7Kg exclude an additional Personal Bag or Laptop Bag. It is alright, we could switch certain things to hand-carry Shop Bag.

While another non-TB carry by my wife will hold our Tablet, Cables, Snacks and other small things. I am hoping to get Dyneema Pilot/Co-Pilot for such purpose by next year. I believe Pilot/Co-Pilot are also great as a Baby Bag - hold bottle very well and those useful built-in compartments.

Well, I am pretty much happy with all purchased item except the two Brain Cells.

Vertical Size 1 a bit too big than I anticipated. Still able to fit into my existing non-TB Bag though not in the manner of slide-in then lock. I have maneuver a bit and slowly zip up.
    The side pockets could hardly fit my large and heavy 180w Power Adaptor and Cord of my Dell Precision.
    The Side Pockets is expandable and the material used kinda worry me whether it will last.
    I couldn't find any O-Ring on the exterior.

I am currently thinking of whether to return the 2 Brain Cells, in exchange for Refund or Gift Card.
    Shipping the Return will cost me about USD20-25 from Malaysia. Kinda not worth.

P.S:
    If you are curious why I did not upload/take/share photos of all the items I bought. I guess I may be too excited after checking it out the contents.
    While for Snake Charmer and Double Organizer Pouch in the Photo, I temporarily loan to my wife and they really sort out her Everyday Handbag.

Please share your comment, especially whether to return or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Volunteer Moderator
    Congratulations on your new Aeronaut and TB accessories! Nice that you got the Navy/Solar color combination while Solar is still available. Although you've correctly identified that weight is going to be the limiting factor in how much you pack into your Aeronaut, I thought I'd mention that tablets and iPads can be stowed in the back zippered pockets for the backpack straps. I find the vertical Brain Cells are most useful for laptops carried in a large backpack like the Smart Alec or Brain Bag. (Snake Charmers are also well sized for use in these two bags.) I used to sometimes carry horizontal Brain Cells separately, but in many instances these Brain Cells (of either variety) attach via Annex Clips passed into the webbing loops to other bags (backpacks, horizontal messenger bags, or travel bags like the Tri-Star or Western Flyer). So the utility of these items can be greater when used with other Tom Bihn bags.

Is that a picture of you and your wife on top of the Tom Bihn box? The Olive Parapack Snake Charmer and Medium Size Double Organizer Pouch also look very handsome in your picture! Enjoy your new bags and accessories.

moriond

Hey moriond,

I was indeed very surprise to manage to hold onto Navy/Solar without any Backorder status.
    During my first survey of Tom Bihn Aeronaut, the color option Navy/Solar or any Solar lining was not available and also was told by TB's Staff that most likely, not anytime now or that soon within this year. Hence, I decided to wait for Iberian. Because I was told it will be most likely be available a few months later. Somehow, Navy/Solar appear without warning and I initially thought it could be due to Technical Fault or Human Error at Color Listing. A day later, the color was still being listed without any backorder hence I quickly make up and mind and made my purchases. Tom Bihn indeed a dynamic company! Hence, even after I received my purchases, I still check out the Forum to see whether Pilot is available and better Dyneema color is returning. Tom Bihn sure know how to keep its user base alert and returning

I understand. Brain Cell would work much better with TB's Bag.
    But I just got myself a backpack this early year, with almost same price as TB. Hence, I kinda don't wish to spend so much again.

The Brain Cell attached with Absolute Shoulder Strap was absolutely great. My wife really like its lightness. Almost feel like nothing, yet it will not easily slight off.

Anyway, do you have experience or hear off whether Lead's Pocket of Guide's Pack could be attachable with Annex Clip to a Brain Cell?
    I find the Pocket of Brain Cell very limited and fragile.

As for the photo, you are correct. It is a DVD Holder for our Pre-Wedding Photos.
    I wasn't purposely to use that, as I just quickly grab something memorable as an Approximate Scale in the Photo.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by weirdguy View Post
    The Brain Cell attached with Absolute Shoulder Strap was absolutely great. My wife really like its lightness. Almost feel like nothing, yet it will not easily slight off.

Anyway, do you have experience or hear off whether Lead's Pocket of Guide's Pack could be attachable with Annex Clip to a Brain Cell?
    I find the Pocket of Brain Cell very limited and fragile.
    @weirdguy That's a clever idea, and the answer is yes, you should be able to attach the Lead's Pocket via its Annex Clips to the webbing loops of your Brain Cell. Take a look at the Combinations-with-the-Daylight-Backpack thread pictures. You can remove the bottom two of the four Annex Clips at the back of the Lead's Pocket so that the top two Annex Clips get clipped to the webbing loops of your Brain Cell. The spacings are standard, so that should work perfectly well.

moriond

<< I don't think I ever open such a gift box this big, though I had put such a big hole in my wallet with such big box purchase. >>

Now *that* made me laugh out loud!

Cry once.... :-)

Congrats on your new toys!!!

@Moriond,
    Thanks for the headups.
    I believe the Right/Left Pockets of Guide's Pack would work similarly. They are a bit cheaper, but less interior organizer. Shouldnt be any problem for me, to keep medium-size thing.
    I will keep the Brain Cell

@carl0,
    Thanks. Haha, it was a combination of happiness and yet, painful when I see my Card statements. Haha.
    But I am sure it is worth it. I already save $75 for this coming trip to Taiwan, for being no Baggage Check-in At All. While, also those $$ save for upcoming next year trips.

Thanks everyone for your comments. Really helps a lot.

The Size 1 Brain Cell is tall and takes up a lot of space. I can get it to fit in an Aeronaut - but not easily. I actually just use it as a personal Carry-on together with my Aeronaut. The Size 1 Vertical Brain Cell makes a good Vertical Briefcase for the minimalist with the Lead's Pocket attached via Annex Clips or (the way I do it now) hooked via Double Gatekeeper Clips off of the Shoulder Strap attachment points (use a Single Gatekeeper clip hooked under the attachment point where there is a loop - thanks to @Ilkyway for giving me the idea with her Upper Module Pocket Purse retrofit).

Name:  BrainCell_LeadPocket_Hang.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  205.8 KB

Hope this helps

Cheers!
    Zephyr (Black/Steel), S25 (Black/Iberian), SA (Black/Steel), BB (Back/Steel), A45 (Black/Iberian), TS (Black/Iberian), WF (/Crimson/Steel), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel), , CP (Black/Steel), Ego (Black/Steel/Indigo Stripe), Vertical Brain Cells, FS, Camera I/O, 400d Nordic PCBP/PCSB/TT, SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket, YSS

@tpnl,
    Thanks for the amazing in-depth photo and the clear explanation.

I will try to find some Pouch to use for the mean time. Hopefully, there is one that could replicate such retrofit.
    I have no plan to make a new TB's purchase this soon.

Thanks again. This really means a lot.