• 5 Post By nathant4
  • 1 Post By monkeylady
  • 3 Post By monkeylady
  • 2 Post By nathant4
  • 2 Post By monkeylady

Thread: Aeronaut travels to Greece

Cool Aeronaut travels to Greece

Hello all-

I bought my first TB bag a number of months ago, Aeronaut 45, and recently took it on its first major expedition on my week-long sailing trip in Greece. Twelve of my closest friends from college and I take a yearly sailing trip, during which we rent a 50-56 ft sailboat for a week. So far our trips have included BVI, Croatia, and Greece. Our typical itinerary includes multiple 3-6 hour long sails from port to port city/town, light hiking/exploring, relaxing beach time, bars/clubs @ night, and the occasional nice restaurant meal. My packing list for Greece is below:

Clothing
    6 Pair Underwear
    1 Pair Socks
    2 Pair Pants
    1 Pair Jeans
    3 Pair Shorts
    1 Pair Athletic Shorts
    3 Polo Shirts
    3 Button-down Shirts
    4 T-Shirts
    1 Tank
    2 Swimsuits
    2 Belts
    1 Rain Jacket
    1 Light Fleece
    2 Long Sleeve Shirts

1 Pair Merrell Barefoot Shoes
    1 Pair Flip Flops

1 Hat
    2 Pair Sunglasses

Misc.
    Phone Charger
    Flashlight
    Travel Towel/Wash Cloth
    Passport
    Gum
    Water Bottle (Nalgene)
    Books (3)
    Power Converter
    Notebook
    Pen/Pencil
    (1) Plastic Bag (18 Gallon)
    (2) Plastic Bags (Gallon)
    (5) Plastic Bags (Quart)
    Headphones
    iPod Shuffle
    Duct Tape
    Clothes Pins
    Croakies
    Lighters (2)
    Granola Bars (2)
    Laminated ID & Passport
    Rubik's Cube

Toiletries
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste
    Deodorant
    Tissues
    Hair Product
    Tide-to-Go
    Lip Balm
    Baby Powder
    Sunscreen
    Nail Clippers
    Shower Gel
    Dr. Bonner's Natural Soap
    Antibacterial Wipes
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Body Lotion

First Aid Bag
    Waterproof Band-Aids
    Neosporin
    Dramamine
    Tylenol
    Waterproof Tape

Bags Used
    TB Aeronaut 45
    Puma Backpack (Synapse 25 ordered today in Burnt Orange/Steel!)
    REI Flashpack 22 (Used as compression bag, fits in A45)
    (2) Small Packing Cubes
    Dry Bag (double as laundry bag)

Before:
    Name:  Unpacked.jpg
Views: 674
Size:  648.7 KB

After:
    Name:  Packed.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  530.6 KB

I forget in which forum thread I read about someone using their REI Flashpack as a compression cube, but thank you for the idea! The REI-FP22 is the perfect size for keeping button down shirts reasonably wrinkle free, it fits well in the A45 main cavity, and can be used as a destination hiking backpack. I plan to use this same combination on my upcoming 6 day trip to SEATTLE (That trip will be 3-4 days of sight-seeing, plus a weekend wedding)

The Puma backpack (my personal item) certainly fell short of my organizational needs...therefore I'm happy to say that my order for a Synapse 25 was placed only a few short hours ago! The A45 performed admirably, easily accepting additional items from my backpack as I had to make room for the gifts bought while traveling. I had to do a fair amount of walking the first day from the metro stop in Athens to the hostel we stayed at on the first night...taking out the backpack straps and I was good to go!

Can't wait for my upcoming trip to Seattle and visit to the factory!! Thanks TB for making such amazing products.

Impressive list. How much do you think your A45 weighed once packed?
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

@monkeylady - I tried replying a number of times, yet couldn't seem to get my posts to go through... Hopefully the third (or fourth?) time is the charm here!

The A45 ended up being a shade under 10 kg, which was the limit for my return flight w/ Air Canada. I flew Lufthansa there and I believe they have a limit of 8 kg; however because the A45 looked so compact compared to some of the gargantuan rollies that were at the gate, the attendants hardly gave it a second glance. (Unless it was a furtive, jealous one!)

I certainly overpacked and will have to further fine tune my packing list for next year... *Opens Excel* *Adjusts Quantities*

Thanks for your reply. Glad it well for you with all the varying baggage rules. Refining the travel is something my husband and I do after every trip. Mostly it is a helpful, unless I get outrageously excited about a destination. Then my executive functioning kinda quits on me.

Please consider posting your revised packing list, or at least annotating this one. One bag packing is an art that we develop with experience. It would be helpful to know what your experience with your list was.

Haha, I know exactly what you mean! I'm getting sooo excited for my upcoming (and first!) trip to Seattle in August that my preliminary 'packing list' is really not much more than a running list of places that I'd like to try and visit. *Thanks to all that have posted in the various threads related to travelling to/through Seattle, many of your suggestions populate the aforementioned list.*

But I digress, the changes I made to my packing list are below:

2 > 1 Pair Pants
    3 > 2 Pair Shorts
    3 > 2 Polo Shirts
    4 > 2 T-Shirts
    2 > 1 Swimsuit
    2 > 1 Belt
    2 > 1 Long Sleeve Shirt

Nearly without fail, I forget each year how little clothing is needed for the bulk of my time (spent on the boat). I would guess that close to 50% of the trip I'm in a bathing suit and tank top or shirtless...most of my clothing is worn for only a few hours while in town/restaurants/bars in the afternoons or evenings. Achieving one-bag-travel will be difficult for me due to my love of wearing bright and preppy color combinations Perhaps I'd have a chance on a trip that doesn't have such a wide variety of activities involved...

<< Twelve of my closest friends from college and I take a yearly sailing trip, during which we rent a 50-56 ft sailboat for a week. So far our trips have included BVI, Croatia, and Greece. Our typical itinerary includes multiple 3-6 hour long sails from port to port city/town, light hiking/exploring, relaxing beach time, bars/clubs @ night, and the occasional nice restaurant meal. >>

um, can i be your friend?

:-)

When packing for Seattle, please include a warm layer, like a light jacket or fleece...maybe a lightweight rain shell. It doesn't rain often in Seattle in August, but, heh, this is Seattle. We've had unbelievably warm weather for an extended period in this area. But things are shifting soon to the usual cooler temps. Evenings here can be quite a bit cool...unless you are very macho.

@nathant4' your pare-down is impressive. Good for you! Your revised load is looking more like backpack sized.
    Last edited by monkeylady; 07-16-2014 at 10:23 PM.

@carl0 - Haha, that's a common response after someone hears about our trips ;-) We are very fortunate to have one friend who is a very competent captain and also plans the logistics of renting the boat, getting permits, the general route, food and beer budget, etc...

@monkeylady - Thanks! I'll definitely be packing a jacket as I'm not very macho at all :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk