• 1 Post By icebeng
  • 4 Post By Perseffect
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 1 Post By Perseffect
  • 2 Post By Perseffect
  • 2 Post By tdivcr

Thread: 6 Days, 5 Nights, 3 Hotels; My second trip with a Tri-Star

6 Days, 5 Nights, 3 Hotels; My second trip with a Tri-Star

There is often something slightly disappointing about the first time you do something. Usually it's not the thing itself but your efforts at it. (Sniggering aside, this applies to a lot of things).

That defines my first time using my new Tri-Star. 3 days, 2 nights, 2 hotels and overpacked. Wow, it's heavy and bulky when loaded with every form of electronics you feel you might possibly need in the space of 3 days. Let's just say, I learned to adjust what I took and how I packed the second time.

So I wanted to review my second trip. The one where I actually did things right. A proper test of my new favourite travel bag.

Here's how it excels for me in one word (albeit a long one); compartmentalisation. Everything self contained in its place and just where I need it.

Name:  Photo 09-06-2014 04 39 15web.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  297.0 KB

A quick breakdown of how I use it:
    * Strapped back compartment - larger clothing such as shirts in an eagle creek spectre 18 with longer items such as trousers bundle wrapped around it to fill out the space into a large packing cube. I then put it into a backpack cube. I know I'm doubling up here but I like to be able to take out the clothes in a cube should I need to use the backpack whilst on the journey.
    * Larger front - all underwear, t-shirts, folded TB travel tray (in Nordic, Yeah!) and very thin yoga mat in packing cube. Underneath, A4 papers (if really needed)
    * Smaller front - dry washbag and laptop charger in packing cube. Liquids in small clear 3-1-1 bag at top for easy access.
    * Middle compartment (see photo) - 14" Laptop in sleeve. Small yarn stuff sack with phone cables etc. Side Effect with passport, phones, iPad mini, earbud headphones, wallet etc.
    * Nothing other than papers in the front pockets as I don't like the bag to 'bulk' out.

Name:  Photo 09-06-2014 10 41 28web.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  581.8 KB

In case you are wondering, I don't take a second pair of shoes. My exercise when I travel is shoe free swimming and yoga.

All this comes in at 11.7kg (25.8pounds). This is actually feels lighter than you might expect when carrying short distances with an absolute shoulder strap. I had great advice from a recent post here which suggested carrying heavy items in a second bag. When I had to walk a little further I took out the backpack cube, removed the clothing cube which easily went straight back into the bag, and filled it with the heavy items from the middle compartment (Side Effect and Laptop) and any A4 papers. These separate items on this trip weighed about 4kg.

On the way out I did separated them and it was so easy to carry both. But as I fly Easyjet I had to repack into the Tri-Star at the boarding gate as they have a strict one bag rule. However, mission accomplished. Easy and effective.

When in country I just used the backpack cube each day for work. I have it in steel so feel the look is ok in most work environments (unless you have a very conservative company). I jazzed up the zip pulls with matching red cord which also stops the zips being quite so jangley.

What works well:
    * Looks great (Black Ballistic with Steel internal highlighted with red zip pulls)
    * Poron foam handles are super comfortable. I can't stress this enough
    * Easy to carry in various ways with absolute strap and backpack straps
    * Easy to pack and know where things are with the various cubes (everything neatly fits in combination with each other and fill all the small spaces)
    * Bag fits the smaller 50x40x20cm (20x16x8inch) rule that you sometimes get in Europe (see photo) so easy to get overhead luggage space or under the seat (depending on size of plane of course. On an Airbus 320 (single aisle 6 seat), it fitted standing up in the overhead and also under the seat on its side.)
    * Modular packing allows easy movement of elements between backpack packing cube and also use of Side Effect with double carabiners as single bag for in flight accessories.
    * Stands up nicely when packed and therefore slides nicely along polished stone floors when waiting in security lines (who needs 4 wheels?). A small push with your feet is all it needs.
    * When sitting in aircraft lounge chairs, it's the perfect height as a foot rest in order to comfortably recline. And it's it soft luggage, it moulds a bit to your feet. Nice.

These last two are a bit sacrilegious I'm sure but it's in Ballistic, it can handle it.

Name:  Photo 13-06-2014 08 37 59web.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  295.8 KB
    Attachment 6618
    Name:  Photo 09-06-2014 06 20 25web.jpg
Views: 1260
Size:  431.5 KB

What doesn't work well:
    * Can bulge if you pack too much
    * Front pockets handy for thin things but can't see myself using them for anything thicker than a organiser pouch/wallet or ID tag. I did have a medium organiser pouch in the top front pocket for receipts and also a magazine which worked well.
    * I wish the zips in the middle compartment went a little further down the side to make it easier to get out side effect which sits vertically at one side.

And what a difference from the last trip (despite it being double the time away). Other than some minor tweaking, this is the way I want to travel for business. I used a Patagonia MLC for all of last year. The Tri-Star has all of its strengths and fixes all of its weaknesses.

I love it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Perseffect; 06-14-2014 at 01:54 AM. Reason: repeated image deleted and new one added
    A vote for "Portable Culture"
    Tri-Star ([Black/Steel), Aeronaut (Steel/UV), Pilot (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Zephyr (Black/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Ristretto 13 (Navy/Solar), Large Cafe Bag (Linen/Navy), Small Cafe Bag (Plum/Wasabi), Side Effect (Navy/Solar) (Black Dyneema/Wasabi)(Aubergine/Wasabi), Travel Trays (UV/Iberian/Nordic/Black), Large Shop Bag (Nordic)

I'm interested to know what you use for your dry washbag, and also what sort of 'very thin yoga mat' you use in which packing cube? I practice Bikram yoga and generally hire a mat but use a Yogitoes Skidless mat towel on top, but they're not very teeny when rolled/folded up. It doesn't help that Bikram practice tends to be *extremely* sweaty - any suggestions on what to use to corral a possibly damp yoga mat gratefully received! You also mention that you swim for exercise - what do you do with wet swimming kit?
    eWalker likes this.
    A45 crim/stl TS navy/solr A30 aub/wsbi S19 nrdc/stl P nrdc/solr CP blk/stl; SE wsbi CQPC ibrn, solr Ri aub/stl 3DCC card TSS4 wsbi K card TT solr,nrdc,blk CC card/stl PCBP solr PP navy QK frst,cyte,aub + loadsa cubes!

PaulT00,
    I'm not sure how you transport the mat (rolled or folded) and the mat's dimensions. but if it's rolled up and too big for a Large Yarn Stuff Sack, you could consider one of the Quivers

The Stuff Sacks should work great for swimming stuff though, and if you prefer not to have the wet packet inside your bag, you could consider using a Yarn Stuff Sack instead. You can clip it to the outside of your bag.
    eWalker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulT00 View Post
    I'm interested to know what you use for your dry washbag, and also what sort of 'very thin yoga mat' you use in which packing cube? I practice Bikram yoga and generally hire a mat but use a Yogitoes Skidless mat towel on top, but they're not very teeny when rolled/folded up. It doesn't help that Bikram practice tends to be *extremely* sweaty - any suggestions on what to use to corral a possibly damp yoga mat gratefully received! You also mention that you swim for exercise - what do you do with wet swimming kit?
    I bought the Yoga mat in the UK from John Lewis and its from a brand called Manuka (not to be confused with Manduka). It is very thin (about 1mm) with rubber on one side and soft suede finish on the other. I only use it for very 'light' yoga and not Bikram. Not sure how it would hold up to stronger use, I imagine you'd slip around a lot. For me it does the job and is more hygienic than a hotel floor.

Folded in the medium packing cube
    Name:  Photo 14-06-2014 12 24 54web.jpg
Views: 1217
Size:  326.4 KB
    A bit more detail
    Name:  Photo 14-06-2014 12 25 20web.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  387.4 KB

As for my dry wash kit, I use a Bright Orange Eagle Creek Specter Pack-It Quick Trip as I don't carry much and it squashes down small very easily.

Lastly, I try not to swim unless I know I have time to dry the shorts before I'm due to leave (i.e. not on the day I'm leaving). I have Zoggs Cottesloe shorts which are not baggy at all so pack very small and are quite quick to dry. As a last resort, I'll stick them in a plastic ziplock and make sure I wash them soon as I arrive home. I do like icebeng's suggestion of using a small yarn stuff sack as you can clip it somewhere external. I have a small yarn sack and it would easily be big enough.
    Tri-Star ([Black/Steel), Aeronaut (Steel/UV), Pilot (Black Dyneema/Wasabi), Zephyr (Black/Wasabi), Synapse 25 (Black/Iberian), Ristretto 13 (Navy/Solar), Large Cafe Bag (Linen/Navy), Small Cafe Bag (Plum/Wasabi), Side Effect (Navy/Solar) (Black Dyneema/Wasabi)(Aubergine/Wasabi), Travel Trays (UV/Iberian/Nordic/Black), Large Shop Bag (Nordic)

Volunteer Moderator
    @Perseffect To make it easier to pull out your (Ballistic Nylon) Side Effect, attach a handle loop w/snaphook to the O-ring at the end. You can keep a handle loop stowed, along with Double Carabiner Clips, in the front zippered pocket of your Side Effect. The Dyneema and Parapack Side Effects slide more easily out of pockets. I prefer that the Tri-Star center compartment zippers don't unzip too far down the sides to better hold items placed in there. Also, you've probably noticed that the grab handles at the right and left sides of the bag (where the zippers for the center compartment end) make stowing or unstowing/pulling out your Tri-Star into overhead or under seat storage a really fast experience.

Most recently I've been starting to use the Pilot (400d Dyneema version) which is another way to separately carry heavy items (including your laptop) from the center compartment, and easily pull it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Perseffect View Post
    So I wanted to review my second trip. The one where I actually did things right. A proper test of my new favourite travel bag.

What doesn't work
    * I wish the zips in the middle compartment went a little further down the side to make it easier to get out side effect which sits vertically at one side.
    …(snip)
    And what a difference from the last trip (despite it being double the time away). Other than some minor tweaking, this is the way I want to travel for business. I used a Patagonia MLC for all of last year. The Tri-Star has all of its strengths and fixes all of its weaknesses.

I love it.
    HTH moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 06-14-2014 at 05:55 AM.
    eWalker likes this.

Thanks @moriond, I hadn't thought of the handle loop idea but that would be great. I have a back order in progress so will add one to it. Thanks.
    eWalker likes this.

jea
    Great review! I noticed you keep an ipad mini in your side effect? How is the fit? I imagine the ipad is without a case?

Quote Originally Posted by jea View Post
    Great review! I noticed you keep an ipad mini in your side effect? How is the fit? I imagine the ipad is without a case?
    I had read that the iPad mini did not fit but found that it does even in the cover I use which is a Moshi Versacover. It is quite a tight fit though and has to sit in this middle of the side effect with a padded mini pouch on one side and my passport and wallet on the other. But it works just fine so really pleased.
    jea and eWalker like this.

Perseffect, you beat me to the punch. I just went through a similar experience, having just purchased a Tristar for shorter trips after using an Aeronaut as well as a roller-board. I was thinking about a short post on my experience. I have yet to take that second trip as you did, and was thinking of ways to adjust my packing strategy. You've provided many good ideas in your post, especially since I seem to pack in a similar way. Unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it, some ideas will require more TB purchases.

I like the Tristar, but it definitely requires more thought about packing.
    Holly and eWalker like this.

Thanks for the feedback re yoga mats and swimming kit. When I'm going to yoga using my Synapse, I generally use a small dry bag (an 8 litre Exped dry bag, roll top) which fits nicely in the Synapse and holds yoga mat, shorts, and a wet towel. I was kind of hoping someone might have a suggestion for just the first two which would take up less space for times when I'm away from home - the dry bag is basically the same principle as using a ziplock, but takes up a fair bit of space. One space saving comes from the fact that if I'm practicing while travelling I would normally be at a studio where I can hire a towel, so I don't need to worry about schlepping a damp towel, but the mat (like a microfibre towel, about 6' x 2'6") and the shorts (not unlike your Zoggs shorts) still get pretty wet...

I keep wishing for a truly waterproof TB cube of some sort! Maybe as an adjunct to the long-mooted gym bag...?
    A45 crim/stl TS navy/solr A30 aub/wsbi S19 nrdc/stl P nrdc/solr CP blk/stl; SE wsbi CQPC ibrn, solr Ri aub/stl 3DCC card TSS4 wsbi K card TT solr,nrdc,blk CC card/stl PCBP solr PP navy QK frst,cyte,aub + loadsa cubes!

I had a similar experience as you did, Perseffect, as my first trip with my Tristar was less satisfying than I expected. That trip entailed a week long trip to Finland for work/some play and boy was my bag hefty. This was all about how I packed it, of course, and having just completed my second trip with the bag (2.5 day work/pleasure trip to NYC via train), I've already improved how I pack the bag.

For both trips I used an original Eagle Creek folding garment envelope in the back section, my laptop, tools and papers in the middle, one pair of shoes and jacket/misc items in the front. I did have my makeup and 3-1-1 bag in the front zippers for the Finland trip but disliked how they made the bag bulge so I put these items in the middle section for the NYC trip. Other changes are also needed for all my packing, not just for the way I pack the Tristar, e.g., for both of those trips I took my Macbook Air 13 when a smaller device would have sufficed (I'm considering a 7" Samsung device or maybe an iPad mini). I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phone which has a huge screen but my need for reading glasses make even its screen a bit too small for me.

All in all, I'm not yet totally convinced that I prefer the three separate compartments of the Tristar over one open compartment (I'm also considering a S25, BBag, or Smart Alec for purchase). That being said, the Tristar is a great bag and as it's the first multiple compartment bag I've owned, I definitely feel that my experience thus far is much more about me learning the best ways to pack it then that I need to get a different type of bag. Time will tell (and I may be adding several items to my collection tomorrow once the Aeronaut 30 and other items are launched. Whoo hoo--can't wait!!).

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0