Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree9Likes
  • 8 Post By kollarc
  • 1 Post By Moose

Thread: My First Bihn Bag - Visit to the Tom Bihn Showroom

My First Bihn Bag, Aeronaut | Visit to the Tom Bihn Showroom

After field-testing 4 different Osprey hiking backpacks from REI for an upcoming backpacking trip in Europe (their return policy LOVES me), I discovered Tom Bihn through a blog on travel bags. Immediately, I was hooked and was up into the wee hours for the following 2 nights on TomBihn.com, this forum, and other Bihn-related web pages. The following day at 10am I drove to REI, returned my latest iteration of the perfect europe-trekking bag (A green Osprey Kestrel 38) and drove up to the Tom Bihn factory/showroom in South Seattle. This is what came back with me-

Name:  Aeronaut.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  128.1 KB

This is an absolutely killer bag! I spent about an hour on the showroom sweating and pacing about like an untamed baboon; whether I wanted the Ballistic Nylon (Even more rugged and thick than I was imagining) or the lighter-weight Dyneema.

The interesting part about visiting the showroom was that sometimes, they have items that are literally right off the press OR special items that aren't even listed on the website. For instance, they had a few aeronaut packing cube backpacks that were constructed from the heavier 400 denier Dyneema fabric as opposed to the thinner and lighter 200d that they normally make and sell on the website. This was a very tempting addition (as I'm still on the market for a semi-rugged daypack to go along with the adventures) but I knew that self-control had to be in peak operating mode before even walking into this place.

Name:  Aeronauts.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  41.8 KB

Back to the bag: I was almost set on walking right out and waiting for backorder on a Navy Ballistic Aeronaut, but despite the assurance of the exceptionally chill(at least compared to me at that moment) and helpful guy running the showroom that my bag would be produced on-time, I opted for the Dyneema. The biggest selling point for me was weight - I'm going to be carrying this thing around on my back for 2 months and am not really expecting it to take too much abuse as it will serve the majority of it's time in transport, getting me from city to city. The second reason was that the colors on this bag are really cool. The Nordic looks better in person. The ballistic nylon is incredible though, it's so thick that it really felt more 'padded' - and that it would protect the items inside from some serious jolts and bumps, simply by it's nature.

I really like the spacious design. The interior removable straps are a nice touch as well. The only part I'm unsure about is the configuration of the side pockets. When the bag is in 'backpack mode', the zippered-end pocket is on the top and the unzippered pocket is on bottom, potentially allowing items in that particular pocket to fall out of the bag.

Name:  Aeronaut_pocket.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  153.5 KB

Granted, this pocket was never designed to be really secure, but it is a useful pocket nonetheless. I'd like to see these pockets reversed so when in backpack mode, the zippered pocket is on the bottom of the bag - keeping my papers, gummy bears, and piroshki's safe. Possibly with some more weight in the bag, the pressure might compress the open pocket to the point of securing some non-essential papers and other flat items in there.

Overall, I'm excited to be giving this bag a good run by living out of it for a couple of months - There was always an unsettling feeling about the idea of a traditional hiking bag for such a versatile trip where I will be in a lot of urban places. Despite having lived with several different options for a few months, the mesh exterior pockets and extraneous straps are really something I don't want to deal with on this journey. I think Tom Bihn has cured my indecisive quest for the perfect carry-on backpacking Europe bag; I can lock most of the zippers, it's cool-looking, tough, secure, and more spacious than anything else out there.

Thanks Dr. Bihn!

Name:  Tom_Bihn_exterior.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  90.9 KB
    Last edited by kollarc; 05-27-2014 at 04:29 PM. Reason: edit photo

Kollarc, welcome aboard. I had no idea the Aeronaut had an open pocket. I've been looking forward to the Aeronaut 30. Guess I'll have look at ir more closely.
    Moose
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Apparently this thread was hijacked by the first person to reply for some strange reason after I made an edit. Anyway, here's the original post:

After field-testing 4 different Osprey hiking backpacks from REI for an upcoming backpacking trip in Europe (their return policy LOVES me), I discovered Tom Bihn through a blog on travel bags. Immediately, I was hooked and was up into the wee hours for the following 2 nights on TomBihn.com, this forum, and other Bihn-related web pages. The following day at 10am I drove to REI, returned my latest iteration of the perfect europe-trekking bag (A green Osprey Kestrel 38) and drove up to the Tom Bihn factory/showroom in South Seattle. This is what came back with me-

Views: 648

This is an absolutely killer bag. I spent about an hour on the showroom sweating and pacing about; whether I wanted the Ballistic Nylon (Even more rugged and thick than I was imagining) or the lighter-weight Dyneema.

The interesting part about visiting the showroom was that sometimes, they have items that are literally right off the press OR special items that aren't even listed on the website. For instance, they had a few aeronaut packing cube backpacks that were constructed from the heavier 400 denier Dyneema fabric as opposed to the thinner and lighter 200d that they normally make and sell on the website. This was a very tempting addition (as I'm still on the market for a semi-rugged daypack to go along with the adventures) but I knew that self-control had to be in peak operating mode before even walking into this place.

Views: 644

Back to the bag: I was almost set on walking right out and waiting for backorder on a Navy Ballistic Aeronaut, but despite the assurance of the exceptionally chill(at least compared to me at that moment) and helpful guy running the showroom that my bag would be produced on-time, I opted for the Dyneema. The biggest selling point for me was weight - I'm going to be carrying this thing around on my back for 2 months and am not really expecting it to take too much abuse as it will serve the majority of it's time in transport, getting me from city to city. The second reason was that the colors on this bag are really cool. The Nordic looks better in person. The ballistic nylon is incredible though, it's so thick that it really felt more 'padded' - and that it would protect the items inside from some serious jolts and bumps, simply by it's nature.

I really like the spacious design. The interior removable straps are a nice touch as well. The only part I'm unsure about is the configuration of the side pockets. When the bag is in 'backpack mode', the zippered-end pocket is on the top and the unzippered pocket is on bottom, potentially allowing items in that particular pocket to fall out of the bag-

Views: 643

Granted, this pocket was never designed to be really secure, but it is a useful pocket (in most cases) nonetheless. I'd like to see these pockets reversed so that the zippered pocket is on the bottom of the bag, keeping my papers, gummy bears, and piroshki's safe Possibly with some more weight in the bag, the pressure might compress the open pocket to the point of securing some non-essential papers and other flat items in there. Alternative possible solution: embed some high-quality, thin magnets to the outermost part of the pocket so that you can simply apply some pressure with your hand to break the attraction and access the contents inside; much like the magsafe power adapter behaves on any fairly new Apple laptop computer. This would be something I would love to have on my Aeronaut & it would be a semi-secure solution that could be visually and structurally designed to be unobtrusive within the bag itself, IMHO.

Overall, I'm excited to be giving this bag a good run by living out of it for a couple of months - There was always an unsettling feeling about the idea of a traditional hiking bag for such a versatile trip where I will be in a lot of urban places. Despite having lived with several different options for a few months, the mesh exterior pockets and extraneous straps are really something I don't want to deal with on this journey. I think Tom Bihn has cured my indecisive quest for the perfect carry-on backpacking Europe bag; I can lock just about every zipper compartment, it's really cool-looking, tough, secure, and more spacious than anything else out there. I can't wait to experiment organizing all of the stuff I'm putting inside; there may be an upcoming trip to the showroom for some accessories.

Name:  Aeronaut_open.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  121.7 KB

Thanks Dr. Bihn!

Views: 647

Views: 665

This is an absolutely killer bag. I spent about an hour on the showroom sweating and pacing about; whether I wanted the Ballistic Nylon (Even more rugged and thick than I was imagining) or the lighter-weight Dyneema.

Views: 641

I really like the spacious design. The interior removable straps are a nice touch as well. The only part I'm unsure about is the configuration of the side pockets. When the bag is in 'backpack mode', the zippered-end pocket is on the top and the unzippered pocket is on bottom, potentially allowing items in that particular pocket to fall out of the bag.

Granted, this pocket was never designed to be really secure, but it is a useful pocket nonetheless. I'd like to see these pockets reversed so that the zippered pocket is on the bottom of the bag, keeping my papers, gummy bears, and piroshki's safe. Possibly with some more weight in the bag, the pressure might compress the open pocket to the point of securing some non-essential papers and other flat items in there.

Overall, I'm excited to be giving this bag a good run by living out of it for a couple of months - There was always an unsettling feeling about the idea of a traditional hiking bag for such a versatile trip where I will be in a lot of urban places. Despite having lived with several different options for a few months, the mesh exterior pockets and extraneous straps are really something I don't want to deal with on this journey. I think Tom Bihn has cured my indecisive quest for the perfect carry-on backpacking Europe bag; I can lock most of the zippers, it's cool-looking, tough, secure, and more spacious than anything else out there.

Name:  Aeronaut_open.jpg
Views: 654
Size:  121.7 KB

Thanks Dr. Bihn!

What happened to the original Post? In the atachment-galary it shoes there are supposed to be pictures here. Where they deleted?

I saw this and thought huh? I must be more tired than I thought.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

I tried to edit the post and the whole thing disappeared and said the thread was started by moose. Ha, I think I'm just going to re-do the whole thing in a new thread.

Yes please! We all love pictures and from the looks of it you posted quite a few. I'd love to see them.