Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By GoStanford

Thread: An All-Dyneema trip cross-country

An All-Dyneema trip cross-country

Cast of characters: Pilot (black/wasabi), Co-Pilot (black/wasabi), SCB (black/wasabi), SE (steel/solar), small OP (UV), and double carabiners (and a Victorinox to check in)

Waffling between my Pilot and Co-Pilot was settled last night when I found I couldn't pack my required reading into the Co-Pilot. Those of you who can pack your on-board gear into the Co-Pilot, hats off to you! My Air is only 11 inches and it would have fit snugly, but I had a 300 page course reader to take with me plus books and magazines and my noise-cancelling headphones. The give of the Dyneema is outstanding, but the more I pack in the back pocket, the snugger the front pockets get. Winner (for me): Pilot plus Absolute strap! It stayed upright under the seat in front of me nicely. I put my empty water bottle in my suitcase and used the water bottle pocket for snacks.

(Co-Pilot stayed home for possible future use as an EDC or hobby bag.)

The SE (steel/solar) plus double carabiner trick is *the best* - thank you Forum members - and let me have access to eyeglasses wipes, lip balms (in small OP), a credit card, etc. right at my seat and save space in the seat pocket in front of me for my headphones.

At the last minute, I threw my empty SCB into my checked-in suitcase. This worked out very well because I repacked my essentials into the SCB for dinner at my destination, and I can use the Pilot for my meeting. It's been a long time since I had coordinated travel gear and I felt pretty sharp with the Dyneema gear.

Anybody who is contemplating a TB order, I *highly* recommend you get a SE/double carabiner rig - works very well. As the SE got fuller during my flight with little things, at the end of the flight, it was harder to stuff it back into the Pilot's front pockets. Can't wait till my backordered PCSB arrives so I can try it out in the back pocket of the Pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    It's been a long time since I had coordinated travel gear and I felt pretty sharp with the Dyneema gear.
    Same here - which is why I ordered an aubergine SE to match my Swift and SA. And why I'll be stalking the travel bag pages regularly in the hope of more aubergine/wasabi options!

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Anybody who is contemplating a TB order, I *highly* recommend you get a SE/double carabiner rig - works very well. As the SE got fuller during my flight with little things, at the end of the flight, it was harder to stuff it back into the Pilot's front pockets. Can't wait till my backordered PCSB arrives so I can try it out in the back pocket of the Pilot.
    Seconded! I think the Pilot and PCSB make a great team for flying - I have the PCSB and can't wait for my backordered Pilot to arrive
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

What great planning! Your descriptions are very helpful and vivid.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0