Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree20Likes
  • 11 Post By Leena
  • 1 Post By taminca
  • 1 Post By Leena
  • 4 Post By taminca
  • 3 Post By Leena

Thread: 2 Aeronauts, 1 Synapse 25, misc other TB items go to Italy

2 Aeronauts, 1 Synapse 25, misc other TB items go to Italy

Obviously there are a ton of reviews on the Aeronaut so this will be no surprise. This was my husband and I's first 'light packing' trip and it was quite pleasant.

We didn't check bags on our way to Italy which means we avoided the notorious long baggage claim waits in Rome. I had a purse and my Aeronaut and my husband just had his Aeronaut. The Synapse 25 was packed into my Aeronaut. For the flight to Italy, I had packed a packing cube shoulder bag with all our in flight necessities and put it in the end of the Aeronaut. Shortly before boarding the plane, I pulled the PCSB out of the Aeronaut and we stowed the 2 Aeronauts in the smaller of the overhead bins.

Overall, the Aeronauts were comfortable to wear and carry. When we joined our tour group a few days after being in Rome, most of them had rolling bags and they were obviously difficult to carry among the various stairs we encountered and uneven pavement.

I loved the PCSB because not only did we use it as our airplane bag but after getting out of heavy pickpocket territory (Rome, Naples, although I only noticed pickpockets in Naples), I used the PCSB as my carry bag because it was lighter than my purse.

I used a small double organizer pouch as my wallet which was perfect for having euro coins in the front and euro bills in the back. I used a keystrap to attach it to either my purse or PCSB. I used a clear organizer wallet for credit cards and bank card, which were rarely used. It was also keystrapped to my purse or PCSB. I used a small clear organizer pouch for misc small items that I kept in my purse or PCSB.

We used 2 clear quarter packing cubes for 2 different purposes. 1 CQPC was used as a toiletry/medicine kit. One side had our basic toiletries and the other side had non-daily toiletries and medicine related items. The other CQPC became our picnic/food item kit. One side had various bars (Lara, Mojo, Ernest) and the other side had 2 collapsible bowls, 2 sporks and napkins. For our lunches, we mostly picked up food from the local grocery stores and had a picnic lunch. We found some great spots but my 2 favorite spots were Palatine Hill in Rome and a courtyard in the town of Revello that overlooked the Amalfi coast.

We used a small stuff sack for our laundry related items as we did our own laundry minus 1 visit to a laundromat. We used a 3d mesh organizer cube for our various cables/plugs. I used a 3d fabric organizer cube for my feminine products. We used a 3d clear organizer cube for our liquids but then transferred them to the CQPC with our toiletries after our initial flight. We did use the empty 3d clear organizer cube for other things though like carrying our bars when we weren't planning a picnic lunch.

For packing cubes, my husband used Eaglecreek spectre packing cubes and I used small aeronaut cubes. The aeronaut fabric end pocket cube was great for our spare shoes. I also used 1 regular end pocket cube and 2 small aeronaut cubes. I think both brands did well, I think I like the Tom Bihn packing cubes slightly better. I will say that I returned the large aeronaut packing cube and the aeronaut packing cube backpack because I thought they were too big. I like the smaller packing cubes and the packing cube shoulder bag much better.

I think where the packing cubes really shined was not only helping us stay organized as we moved from hotel to hotel and allowed us to pack up quickly but on the trip home, we took a ton of stuff back. We had bottles of wine, pasta, spices and lots of various trinkets. As we packed everything the night before our flight, everything fit fine into the 2 aeronauts. My husband had the Synapse 25 which only had our jackets in it. I did end up redistributing the weight a bit but I was surprised how well the aeronauts held not only everything we took but all our souvenirs.

We did end up checking the 2 aeronauts and both of them endured the journey without a mark. The only thing below either of our feet on the plane was the PCSB with our airplane items and a small purse I had purchased on the trip. The Synapse 25 was in the overhead bin with some of our more breakable/valuable souvenirs.

Overall, I was pretty impressed and look forward to future trips with our new bags.

Quote Originally Posted by Leena View Post
    The other CQPC became our picnic/food item kit. One side had various bars (Lara, Mojo, Ernest) and the other side had 2 collapsible bowls, 2 sporks and napkins. For our lunches, we mostly picked up food from the local grocery stores and had a picnic lunch.
    Great review, Leena! And you just convinced me I needed another CQPC
    eWalker likes this.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    I just bought it and was not sure of the best use of it!

Great review!

Sent from Samsung Note III using Tapatalk
    Last edited by eWalker; 05-14-2014 at 07:58 AM.
    Orders are here! Unpacking A45, A30, NF20 & CP10! TB Crew rocks!!

Thanks - very thoughtful and informative review. I appreciate that you wrote about how you organized yourselves on the plane, during the trip, and for the souvenir-collecting. You found some creative uses for the accessories and there were some very helpful ideas in there!

I am just curious why you checked the Aeronauts for the return trip. Were you forced to do that because of lack of bin space or a gate agent telling you to, or was it just your choice?
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

@bchaplin, I imagine it's because of the wine, etc. that they brought back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope the wine went in the Synapse! I've taken wine home (from California) in a checked rollaboard padded by lots of clothes, but I'd be very nervous doing so with something as unstructured as an Aeronaut!
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

No, we had to check the wine. The wine went in the Aeronauts and it was perfectly fine. Also, I forgot to talk about the Synapse 25, my husband used it as our day pack during our trip. It held our jackets, hats, snacks and water. It did absolutely great.

I also forgot to mention the travel tray which we used. We kept small things in it throughout the trip and at the end of the trip, it packed flat as we didn't need it and everything fit back into the various packing cubes.
    eWalker likes this.

Another question, @Leena:
    What bags did you use in 'heavy pickpocket territory'?
    Or perhaps you kept valuables in a money belt or pockets.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Quote Originally Posted by taminca View Post
    Enabler points for @Leena! I just ordered a Solar CQPC as a picnic/food item kit
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Good job Taminca!

@bchaplin - I have a travelon bag that is very light and has clips for the zippers so it takes a bit of effort to get into and it is slashproof. I like it for purse wear but after seeing pictures of people using the PCSB on their trips, I had to try it. I just wasn't brave enough to try it in areas where I had heard stories of people slashing your strap, slashing your bag or just getting into your bag in general.

My husband used a moneybelt and held onto extra money and passports while I used my double organizer for our daily purchases.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0