Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree15Likes
  • 5 Post By bradnd99
  • 4 Post By moriond
  • 2 Post By vivelly
  • 1 Post By monkeylady
  • 2 Post By bradnd99
  • 1 Post By scribe

Thread: Aeronaut, Synapse 25, and Medium Cafe Bag in Germany

Aeronaut, Synapse 25, and Medium Cafe Bag in Germany

All the Tom Bihn Bags performed flawlessly. I have to say though that the MCB and the Travel Tray impressed me beyond expectations. I have been constantly surprised by the Travel Tray, and again it proved its worth.

The MCB is a new purchase and it, in my mind, has become a MUST have for any travel that requires a city bag. It is a great size, holds just enough without letting me carry TOO much. It held my necessary paperwork (e.g. German Rail Pass), my passport, my camera, gum, an iPad Mini, and a few other misc items. The black parapack is unobtrusive and stylish.

The Aeronaut, like many have said before, held more than I thought. I used my Eagle Creek Pack It Garment Folder to hold most of my clothes, a few skinny eBags packing cubes for underwear and Tshirts, and the side pockets for misc items and an extra pair of shoes. I could have packed about 25% less and still had enough clothes.

My Synapse mainly held my toiletries and misc items on the way TO Germany, but was packed full of souvenirs on the way home.

Outside of the Tom Bihn Gear, I had mixed performance with some of the other stuff I brought.

Definite Winners:
    • Aforementioned TOM BIHN gear
    • Absolute Shoulder Strap
    • Canon Powershot s110
    • 36mm CPL MagFilter Photography & Cinema Circular Polarizer FOR Canon S95 S100 S110 (made the skies and landscape pop!)
    • OREI Grounded Universal 2 in 1 Schuko Plug Adapter Type (Fit into the plugs better than the standard small plug adaptor, and had 2 plugs)
    • Eagle Creek Pack It Garment Folder
    • Ebags Packing Cubes
    • ExOfficio Underwear
    • Icebreaker Underwear (preferred slightly to the ExOfficio stuff)
    • Gootoobs
    • iPad Mini

Definite Loser:
    • Belkin SurgePlus 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports (2.1 AMP / 10 Watt)--Not Dual Voltage!

Before my next trip, I would definitely invest in some more of the Icebreaker clothing. Although it is very pricey, it does a great job while traveling and saves valuable space and weight. I'll definitely look into purchasing some socks and a few of their shirts (slowly, as the bank account permits).

As for the trip itself, it was fantastic. I loved Berlin, Nuremburg, Fussen (for the Neuschwanstein Castle), and Munich. The Tom Bihn gear never raised the suspicion of the Lufthansa flight attendants even though they were probably over their weight limit. On the trains, the TB Gear fit beautifully into the overhead shelves on the ICE and regional trains.

Cant wait until the next trip.

Sounds great! Germany is a beautiful country and travel there can be very enjoyable.

But did you try the Schweppes Bitter Lemon?!

I didn't. I saw that thread about it AFTER I got back.

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Sounds great! Germany is a beautiful country and travel there can be very enjoyable.

But did you try the Schweppes Bitter Lemon?!
    @GoStanford This is for you:

OK, the image is for the generic Schweppes product, and not for the Schweppes Bitter Lemon referenced in the Lufthansa thread. This is the advertising trailer that preceded the movie, "A Fish Called Wanda" with John Cleese in one of the starring roles.

Quote Originally Posted by bradnd99 View Post
    Definite Loser:
    • Belkin SurgePlus 3-Outlet Mini Travel Swivel Charger Surge Protector with Dual USB Ports (2.1 AMP / 10 Watt)--Not Dual Voltage!
    @bradnd99 If you read the Wirecutter Guide to Traveling Well thread, there's some discussion about outlets. I've been using the Monster Outlets To Go strip (links) given in that discussion, for international travel for a number of years, including in Munich.

HTH. moriond

I saw that thread while on vacation. In reality, most of my hotels had plenty of outlets so it wasn't much of a challenge, but the hotel in Munich (a Courtyard nonetheless) only had one on the nightstand, so it was a bit of a challenge to charge 2 iPhones, an iPad, and my camera batteries. I know, a first world problem, but having a lightweight powers trip would have helped.

One other winner I forgot to mention:
    Audio Technica ATH-ANC23 QuietPoint Active Noise-Cancelling In-Ear Headphones

I liked these noise canceling earbuds. They are not as powerful as the Bose but also only $50 (as compare to Bose's $300). They blocked plenty of white noise and made the audio easy to hear in flight.

Audio Technica ATH-ANC23 QuietPoint Active Noise-Cancelling In-Ear Headphones.
    I completely agree with this. They are long-lasting - mine are going on seven years - and batteries last for several trips. Price point is very reasonable for what you get.

If you ever go to Germany again...you have to see the North! Its completely different...white powdery beaches, light towers, windmills...and the beautiful Frisian Islands...where my grandparents come from..the last places of paradise. No cars! :-)

I can't help myself, so I've got to ask...did you carry all three bags simultaneously? And how, even if your Aeronaut and your Synapse.
    Ilkyway likes this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

I only carried them simultaneously when in country and a few times. I carried the Aeronaut by the Absolute Shoulder Strap, the backpack on my back, and the MCB across my body. Sometimes I got mixed up and forgot the order I put them on, so it was a calamity of errors when taking them off.

Audio Technica ATH-ANC23 QuietPoint Active Noise-Cancelling In-Ear Headphones

I liked these noise canceling earbuds. They are not as powerful as the Bose but also only $50 (as compare to Bose's $300). They blocked plenty of white noise and made the audio easy to hear in flight.
    Thanks for the recommendation - I just snapped up a cheap pair on ebay
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation - I just snapped up a cheap pair on ebay
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/14/te...pagewanted=all
    This review got me interested in the Audio-Technica headphones several years ago. I see the model number has changed which I believe indicates updated design/technology. The very first time I used these, it was an overseas flight and I was amazed to find that I could hear the movie plenty loudly on the lowest volume setting above zero! And even then it was a little too loud when the voices were loud. The passive noise cancellation is quite acceptable which provides some relief from background noise during takeoff/landing before the use of approved portable electronic devices is allowed. Hope you like them too.

Well, they were reviewing over-the-ear headphones, not earbuds, so that would explain the difference in model number (unless you're referring to something else).
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Well, they were reviewing over-the-ear headphones, not earbuds, so that would explain the difference in model number (unless you're referring to something else).
    Got it - I didn't see till now that yours are in ear. Thanks for catching!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0