Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: To DC and back with a Pilot and a Synapse 25

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltee View Post
    Hmmm, I thought they were just temporarily out of steel dynema. Where/when did they post it was being discontinued?
    @hamiltee In the case of Steel Dyneema, they are/were temporarily out of the 200d weight steel Dyneema that is used to line bags, except for whatever quantities they had set aside for the production of some of their bags. The version of Steel Dyneema that is being discontinued is the 400d weight of Steel Dyneema that is used for the exterior of bags like the Pilot, Synapse, Tri-Star, Smart Alec, Co-Pilot, etc. The post by Darcy was made yesterday in the Just for Registered Members section of the forums:

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
    Steel and Nordic 400d Dyneema are retiring, leaving only Black 400d Dyneema/nylon for the foreseeable future. No new colors are planned as of now, but you know us… that could change (or not.)

200d Dyneema/nylon? Only Solar is retiring. That means Iberian, Ultraviolet, Steel, and Wasabi are here to stay, at least for now.

I'm hoping to be able to share more color news with everyone in the next 1-2 months!
    HTH. moriond

Thanks for the clarification, moriond!

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time post. This thread caught my eye because I've had a Synapse 25 since last summer, which I completely love--but on a couple of trips, it didn't hold everything I needed.

For daily use, I carry my Macbook Air and/or DSLR in a Mountainsmith insert. For the office, I don't quite need that much space, and something a little more businesslike would be better. When I travel, I could easily live out of the S25 for a week or two--except that with the DSLR and the Macbook Air, there isn't a lot of room left for clothes. So I've been mulling the idea of getting a Pilot for two purposes: as a work bag, and as a second travel bag, to handle the overflow from the Synapse. I probably would have just bought the bag by now, except that my wife and I are going to Seattle and Vancouver in June on vacation, and I'm planning to stop by the factory.

Anyway, it's great to see that others have had the same idea, and that it's worked for you!
    @. , I specifically purchased a Pilot to function as a second to my S25. I leisure travel only on nature vacations. I use the
    S25 to carry clothing and dry toiletries and some tech items. The Pilot is large enough to carry my camera, binoculars, noise canceling headphones, backup battery, IPad mini, phone, cables, wallet, travel docs, snacks, etc. , the stuff I do not want to stow and the stuff I want access to while flying. The CoPilot was too small to carry this load. If I were traveling to Europe or somewhere where "safari" clothing was not the ticket, I would be more inclined to have a bag for flat packing to diminish wrinkles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ilkyway and jimc like this.
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I see what you did there.
    WHAT?!?! There were cameras?!?! I'm in trouble.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Was just thinking how nice this combination is with (my) all 400d Dyneema versions of each bag. (I know your S25 is the also light 420d HT Parapack Navy/UV and your Pilot is Ballistic Nylon in Black/Steel).

moriond
    You are right about the Pilot but the S25 is Navy Cordura. I bought it before Parapack was announced. I don't have a sample of Navy Parapack to compare to, but Navy Cordura with Ultraviolet Dyneema is my favorite color combination of all time. I just love it. Every time I look at my S25, I fall in love with it all over again.

I have a nano pouch and a SE in Olive Parapack, and I'm not sure how much I like the sheen. I don't really do shiny. But I just saw photos of Steel Parapack paired with Solar and my heart did a little pitter-pat. When Son #2 is potty trained, I might go back to a S19 for my EDC and that will definitely call into question my feelings about the Parapack fabric.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Quote Originally Posted by giantsteve View Post
    It's great to travel light while those around you are hauling massive quantities of stuff. Like you said, it's "enlightening."

It almost seems like everything you carried (with the possible exception of the shawl) would fit in the Synapse... Was that an option for you? I really like the freedom of one bag if I can make it work
    It probably could have, but I wanted to make sure I had capacity to bring back gifts. (As it turned out, there wasn't much opportunity for shopping but I did bring home a little conference swag.)

Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    WHAT?!?! There were cameras?!?! I'm in trouble.
    Clearly you have forgotten the lessons you learned in Vegas: To Vegas and Back with a Pilot and a Smart Alec

There are always cameras.

😶

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    Clearly you have forgotten the lessons you learned in Vegas: To Vegas and Back with a Pilot and a Smart Alec

There are always cameras.
    I thought that was just in Vegas! I didn't know they were *everywhere*!

Are you watching me right now? *glances around nervously*

Thanks for the welcome, moriond, and for the links!

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Hi jimc, Welcome to the forums (in unlurked form). You might be interested in Nancy's (@ncb4's) posts, including the recent How floppy is the Dyneema version of the Pilot? thread that she started. Nancy authored a number of posts about using various bags, including the Synapse (19) and Co-Pilot as camera bags, however has recently had to constrain the weight of what she carries. She has just ordered a Pilot to use for Camera and MacBook Air (as described in the linked first thread.)

HTH. moriond

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0