Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree25Likes
  • 7 Post By heparker
  • 6 Post By heparker
  • 1 Post By scribe
  • 4 Post By heparker
  • 5 Post By priceless
  • 1 Post By heparker
  • 1 Post By wennefer

Thread: Pilot- First week on the job!

Pilot- First week on the job!

Excellent- sums up week one in one word. My Navy/Solar Pilot (w/ AS) worked and performed better than I expected. Loaded with a 13" MBA in the correct Cache, mini iPad, Mophie battery "juice pack", Rhodia 2014 Date Book, Evernote Moleskine large notebook, pens/pencils (OP) 3-D OP (Wasabi) with earbuds, cables, adaptors, etc, and a few other OP for business cards, receipts and smaller (3"X5" Rhodia notebook) and straps for all- the bag is simply amazing! Even had room for letter-sized file folders inside and 1" sized binders i the back pocket
    I, like many in this forum, spent hours lamenting over the correct purchase (Cadet, Zephyr, Empire Builder, ID- so MANY great choices. I finally wore myself down (some items were unavailable, too), and ordered the Navy Pilot! And I'm so glad I did. This guys my work companion!
    Like all us "Bihners" I do have more stuff on order, but that's for another forum post!Name:  IMG_1414.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  771.4 KB
    Forrest Green Tri-Star, Navy/Solar PILOT, w/13" MBA cache, Large Shop Bag, various colorful pouches, straps, sacks, 3D mesh, large Dyneema org. cubes and Olive SE. Black Dyneema Daylight BP. As always, more TB stuff on order!

Great! Thank you for listing the contents as it helps those of us trying various packing combos. What type strap do you use?

I love all those colors together! I have a navy/Iberian Copilot that's the most gorgeous bag. One accessory you might consider is a Travel Tray. I use mine as a caddy for small notebooks and pens at work and then transform it and jam it into my bag to take home. All the stage managers I work with are impressed with it!

Absolute strap. Even with all the stuff in there, the Pilot still has more room (I could put my iPhone 5 in, too) and amazingly doesn't feel heavy at all.
    Forrest Green Tri-Star, Navy/Solar PILOT, w/13" MBA cache, Large Shop Bag, various colorful pouches, straps, sacks, 3D mesh, large Dyneema org. cubes and Olive SE. Black Dyneema Daylight BP. As always, more TB stuff on order!

UPDATE on my PILOT
    Just keeps getting better and better! Have some "new friends" for the Pilot. This weekend will transform my Pilot from a work briefcase to an overnight travel bag. 2 Packing cubes, (taking out the 13"MBA sleeve), 3D clear organizer, 3D organizer (both organizers in Wasabi), plus various other organizer pouches. Still room for my mini iPad and cables, etc. How can you NOT love this kind of rugged versatility!? Name:  IMG_1435.jpg
Views: 1009
Size:  668.0 KB

I'm still tempted by a Pilot as an overnight bag - perhaps later in the year after my other TB wish-list items have arrived and I'm starting to miss the UPS man
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

PILOT- from EDC Briefcase to "sweet" overnight bag

Here is my Pilot "transformed" from my EDC work briefcase to my overnight bag! Remove 13" MBA sleeve and use 2 packing cubes (1 pair of slacks & 2 shirts) other small cube has socks/t-shirts/underwear), navy/clear 3D organizer cube for toiletries, 3D wasabi organizer cube for cables, etc. Additionally have some organizer pouches for business cards, small notebooks and one pens/pencil pouch. iPad fits inside (main compartment pockets) nicely, so does my Mophie Juice Pack (front right compartment)Name:  IMG_1437.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  707.5 KB
    AND I STILL HAVE ROOM

I just used my pilot as my only bag for a two day workshop. Fit everything in that I needed, including laptop, iPad mini, clothes snacks AND a field journal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just returned from my overnight trip and the Pilot worked to perfection! Had enough room for all I needed and then some! Thank you TB for making travel a blast again!
    moriond likes this.

Glad to read about fitting all of this in. Tomorrow I get to go on my first trip with my new Pilot (will my Western Flyer and Imago get jealous?) and I was hoping to pack a change of clothes, toiletries, MacBook Air, and field note journal.
    Owner of Crimson/Steel Western Flyer, Forest/Steel Zephyr, Olive/Cayenne Ristretto for iPad, Olive/Cork/Steel and Cardinal/Hemp/Steel Imago, Plum/Wasabi Side Effect, Linen/Steel and Conifer/Steel SCB, Steel Breve, Plum/Black Swift, Steel FJN, Horizontal Freudian Slip, black Brain Cell, Iberian Packing Cube Backpack, Ultraviolet Packing Cube Shoulder Bag, and various organizer pouches, caches, and other odds and ends.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0