Like Tree14Likes
  • 10 Post By gambcl
  • 2 Post By pegolas
  • 2 Post By atarango1

Thread: Another Aeronaut first timer

Another Aeronaut first timer

Hi folks,

I just got my first TB bag, an Aeronaut in black/wasabi for a 2-night trip from the UK to Budapest. I really wanted my wife and I to travel light and not have to check in any luggage, mainly because we were flying with Ryanair and I hate giving them money :-)

I had seen the Tom Bihn range in the past and really liked the look of them but had no need for one at the time, well this time I decided to bite the bullet and get the Aeronaut. Because of the postage to the UK I decided to make quite a large order with a collection of packing cubes, organiser cubes, wallets, etc so I had a whole system. The hardest part was choosing the colours :-)

I usually "pack" by throwing stuff into the main compartment of my case/bag, so I was interested to see how I would get on with the more organised system of packing cubes, etc. My wife was taking a rolling case (still small enough for cabin luggage though) so it would also be interesting to compare our experiences on this trip.

When my Aeronaut arrived I was really impressed with the quality of it all and couldn't wait to use it. Also, in the black it looks very smart, I would have no problems also using this on a business trip.

One requirement I had was that I wanted to be able to put my camera bag into the Aeronaut, I use the Crumpler Jackpack 7500 and it fits perfectly into the Aeronaut, leaving about half the main compartment free for clothes, etc.

I used 2 x small Aeronaut packing cubes for day/night wear, 2 x travel stuff sacks for clean/used underwear, 2 x 3D organiser cubes for toiletries/shaver, a 3D mesh cube for cables/chargers/adapters, travel tray for loose bits and pieces, and a packing cube shoulder bag for iPad/Kindle/headphones.

I also ordered a passport pouch, which was much easier than having to remember which jacket/trouser pocket I put the passports into, and a clear organiser wallet to keep foreign currency together.

For anyone else using Ryanair, the Aeronaut fits perfectly into their cabin baggage measuring devices as long as you don't overstuff it. I would say that from the 55x40x20cm limits, it would be the 20cm limit that you can easily breach if you overstuff the bag.

Using the 3D organiser cubes for toiletries was really handy when going through airport security, normally we checkin a suitcase and have my washbag in there, so the whole idea of putting your liquids, etc into see-through plastic bags for the security checks was new to us. I just emptied my 3D organiser cube into a plastic bag and sailed through security, however my wife ended up needing 5 (yes 5) plastic bags for all her lotions and potions and they confiscated all but one of them (you are only allowed one 20x20cm plastic bag full of cosmetics, with no individual containers more than 100ml). Fortunately she was able to collect them all again when we returned to the airport a few days later.

The packing cube shoulder bag came in very handy. I nearly didn't order it, it was a last second decision before I hit the order button on the website. When I first packed I found my bag was over the 10Kg limit by at least 1Kg, then I discovered that Ryanair allow you to take a small carry-on bag in addition to your main cabin baggage. I forget the exact size limits now but the packing cube shoulder bag fits within them, so I used it to hold my iPad, Kindle and headphones, which not only solved my weight problem with the Aeronaut but also gave me very easy access to my entertainment during the flight.

I felt that the use of the packing cubes and travel tray made life in the hotel room so much more organised. I always knew where everything was and packing again at the end of our trip was so much easier and faster than on previous trips. I loved the travel tray, in the Solar colour it almost glows and it was very useful to keep all the loose bits that tend to spread around your hotel room in one container.

After all that I have to say that I was extremely happy with my first Tom Bihn purchase. With all the extras I ordered and the postage to the UK it was pretty expensive but I can see myself enjoying using this gear for many years.

The only issue now is that after watching all the Tom Bihn videos I really, really want a matching Tristar, even though I don't do any journeys that suit that size of bag, it just looks so damn nice!

Happy travels folks,

Charlie

I'm impressed that you managed to fit the Aeronaut in to a 50 x 40 x 20cm bin. I took a Western Flyer(same colours as your Aeronaut) for my trip with EasyJet as I'm paranoid about their carry-on limits - no personal item allowed, not even something as small as a Side Effect!!
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    forest/cork/linen + steel/olive (Imago, Pilot, SCB, COW, QK, OPs)
    olive/plum + steel/UV/wasabi (S19, SE, MCB, TSSs, SSBs, YSSs, LSS, 3DOCs, OPs)
    black/steel + iberian (S25, DLBP, SE, SCB, FJN, TSSs, YSSs, 3DFOC)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I use a 3D clear sided organizer cube for toiletries, tethered to my bag with a key strap. I've never had to move my toiletries to a plastic bag when going through security.

Quote Originally Posted by WendyK View Post
    I use a 3D clear sided organizer cube for toiletries, tethered to my bag with a key strap. I've never had to move my toiletries to a plastic bag when going through security.
    Maybe it's a UK airports thing? When I was going through Stansted (near London) the other day, the security people made everyone transfer their liquids to an "official" 20x20cm ziplock bag, even if their stuff was already in a similar-sized but not identical one (I had mine in a clear 3D cube). Talk about jobsworths! No wonder the queues were practically backed up to the entrance *sigh*
    Collections:
    black/aubergine + wasabi (WF, SA + UMP, CP, TT, TSSs, SE, Swift, QK, YSSs & KTPs)
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini; more bags in Aubergine; the return of Portable Culture!

I went through security at both Edinburgh and Charles De Gaulle airports last year with no problems. Security screening varies so much though, I think I ended up getting a personal pat-down by security in every airport that trip!

My 3DCO was ok at Heathrow a couple weeks ago, but it may have been because I was in Virgin's Upper Class line (all security asked was that we take our liquids out of our carry ons - excuse me, hand luggage) or because I was helping a friend who was in a wheelchair through security.

Yep, this was also at London Stansted airport.
    Everyone had to have a 20x20cm clear plastic bag. I suspect this varies a lot from one airport to another. When we came back from Budapest they were very thorough in X-raying the bags but not so strict on the toiletries.

With regards to the measuring bin, Ryanair use a 55cm bin which took the Aeronaut perfectly (as long as it's not overstuffed). I haven't tried an Easyjet flight with it yet, but I think they only allow 50cm. That might be the excuse I need for a Tristar ;-)

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gambcl View Post
    Yep, this was also at London Stansted airport.
    Everyone had to have a 20x20cm clear plastic bag. I suspect this varies a lot from one airport to another. When we came back from Budapest they were very thorough in X-raying the bags but not so strict on the toiletries.

With regards to the measuring bin, Ryanair use a 55cm bin which took the Aeronaut perfectly (as long as it's not overstuffed). I haven't tried an Easyjet flight with it yet, but I think they only allow 50cm. That might be the excuse I need for a Tristar ;-)
    I don't have experience with this, but forum member @Fat Crip claimed that the Aeronaut could be used on most European budget airlines with a few caveats, and also claimed that EasyJet was manageable as long as you could lift the Aeronaut to put it into overhead. Try an advanced search with his name and search terms like EasyJet and Aeronaut. Here are links to a few of his posts on the subject:

Note that Eric's (aka Fat Crip's) last post describes the recent Ryan Air change that allowed @gambcl to use the Packing Cube Shoulder Bag as a personal carryon item.

moriond
    Last edited by moriond; 04-24-2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Added comment about Ryan Air personal carryon change

EasyJet have two bin sizes - they promise you can always take your carryon on board if it fits the smaller one (50x40x20). The larger one is usually OK but they sometimes make you check your bag if the flight is busy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Collections:

however my wife ended up needing 5 (yes 5) plastic bags for all her lotions and potions and they confiscated all but one of them
    This amuses me to no end. I'm the queen of beauty products (day serum, night serum, day cream, night cream, hair volumizer, make up primer, etc.), and I'm trying to think of what I could possibly have that would fill up five one liter bags for a two day trip! LOL. My advice to her is dramming jars and vials. I used to stock up on them when I sold make-up and skin care - the really tiny ones are excellent for short trips.

I also buy stuff either at the airport or upon arrival (hair spray, sunscreen, hand cream, toothpaste [I do not like the tooth powders or tabs. Blech]). I still have trouble fitting it all into one liter baggie at times. I feel her pain.

Also, I had to put all my stuff in the airport supplied bag at Heathrow last year. The agents demanded we use that bag and that bag only. I guess it depends on who you get.

Quote Originally Posted by pegolas View Post
    My advice to her is dramming jars and vials. I used to stock up on them when I sold make-up and skin care - the really tiny ones are excellent for short trips. .
    Do you have a recommended source for the bottles? I have seen some used for various cosmetic lines but I don't know where to buy them. Sometimes the plastic sample vials with threaded lids are too small to hold enough for more than a few applications, and these look like a good option.

Quote Originally Posted by GoStanford View Post
    Do you have a recommended source for the bottles? I have seen some used for various cosmetic lines but I don't know where to buy them. Sometimes the plastic sample vials with threaded lids are too small to hold enough for more than a few applications, and these look like a good option.
    It depends on the length of the trip. For shorter trips, I use the cramming vials I've collected over the years from make up counters from getting samples. For my shampoo, I like Go Tubes. I also use the small plastic containers they sell at REI - they come in pretty small sizes. I duct tape them shut to keep them from leaking.

Also, when traveling I switch to power foundation and solid soap, and I leave my nighttime skin products at home and use the day stuff both morning and evening. I'd i run out of room, I leave out the common stuff and buy it when get to my destination.

I'm also a lotions and potions fanatic, and I'll tell you what I do: I wait to stock my regular stuff (I use a lot of Clinique and Kiel's) for whenever the companies are having those free "give aways." Then I stash the free sample size stuff for until I travel. I have a bag in my cabinet labeled "good travel stuff stash." This means I always have teeny tiny eye and face creams, masceras, cleansers, etc to chose from when I travel. As I have fussy skin, it works well for me.