Like Tree9Likes
  • 7 Post By cujo
  • 2 Post By giantsteve

Thread: First trip with my first bag, an Aeronaut

First trip with my first bag, an Aeronaut

I'm a consultant, and I take frequent trips by train to client sites where I spend 4-5 days at a stretch. I did the first few with a conventional rolling carryon and a laptop backpack, but I typically walk a mile or two from the train station to my hotel, and I had trouble getting a full week's stuff in my hardside carryon, so I went looking for something with backpack straps. When I did, the Aeronaut leaped out as the obvious choice.

I have now taken a trip with it, and I'm very happy with it. I swear, the thing is made with TARDIS technology - when I took it out of the box, I was alarmed by how small it seemed, but it holds a lot more than I thought it would. I got a week's stuff in it with no trouble: Four dress shirts, two pair of slacks, four undershirts, four pair underwear, four pair socks, plus toiletries and various gear, and then my MacBook15 on top in a Brain Cell - it just exactly fits. Presto, one bag, throw it on my back for those long walks.

A couple of minor design suggestions: I would've made the main pocket open in the other direction, so that if you pick it up by the handles when you've neglected to zip that pocket, all of your stuff doesn't fall out (yes, I did that). I also would add an O-ring in the open end pocket, so that I could tether things I put in there lest they fall out.

I'm also mildly concerned about the way the backpack straps are joined to the bag. This thing is heavy when loaded, and that seems a possible point of failure. But I'll trust that TB is smarter than I am about this.

All in all, I'm very happy. I wouldn't want to use it in place of my backpacking pack, but I walked two miles each way with it on my back, 25-30 pounds loaded, with no significant discomfort.

One more note: I scoffed at the reviews I read where people complained about the zippers jingling. The noise doesn't trouble me, but it really is surprisingly loud.

I to am a consultant. I travel to various places around the world and I carry an Aeronaut if I do not have to wear a suit. If I need a suit I carry a roller board. I have never carried it as a backpack. I personally wish that I could have asked to have those taken off the bag. I use the absolute strap with no problem. I have never heard the zippers jingle as I guess I have an older version. It is one great bag, and fits in any overhead bin.

Another traveling consultant here. I have tried to go one bag but just found I could not make it work for me... the bag got too heavy and I need something to take to a client site that's not luggage. Also, I like to have personal items accessible on the plane and a larger bag overhead doesn't work well for that.

I travel for up to a week at a time and I usually travel with suits. I have found the perfect bag for me is the Tri-Star which easily accommodates two suits (mens 46 long no less) in the large outside section using this life changing (wrinkle free) folding technique Jacket folding - light travel one-bag packing technique - YouTube for the jackets. The middle section holds an 18" Eagle Creek folder with the suit pants, shirts, ties and any other items I need. The other outside compartment holds a TB packing cube with underwear and workout clothing. I also take a pair of black New Balance Minimus shoes that weigh practically nothing and work for casual wear and gym use equally well. I wear my heavier and larger dress shoes while travelling. It's magical how this all fits in the Tri-Star and it's light weight and not even filled to capacity.

In my briefcase (currently a Red Oxx Metro... sorry TB, tried the Pilot but didn't work for me... have an Ego on order which may replace the Metro) I carry my computer, papers, kindle paperwhite, medications & grooming items, etc. The two comparatively light bags are much easier for me than one heavier bag, easily fit in the overhead / under seat, and provide all the flexibility I need.

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    I'm also mildly concerned about the way the backpack straps are joined to the bag. This thing is heavy when loaded, and that seems a possible point of failure. But I'll trust that TB is smarter than I am about this.
    @Cujo - here is a link on some discussion on the backpack straps and how they are secured to the back of the Aeronaut:

question about Aeronaut backpack straps

Hope this helps!

Cheers!
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0