Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By platisc
  • 1 Post By platisc
  • 3 Post By platisc

Thread: Smart Alec and Side Effect go on a Humanitarian mission to Haiti

Smart Alec and Side Effect go on a Humanitarian mission to Haiti

Hey guys! I'm wrapping up my last night of an awesome 3-day trip here in Haiti, and I just wanted to share some thoughts on how my Smart Alec and brand new Side Effect have performed (spoiler alert: they were both great).

The mission was with JetBlue in partnership with Haiti Tourisme and a few schools and orphanages of which we delivered a literal plane-load of contributions. The effort was great. Even better was that all that was required of me (gear-wise) was to show up and take notes and pictures (and anti-malarials!). This led for a pretty prime chance to pack up my two new bags (Alec has been around for a few weeks, but not in an airport prior to this).

I'm going to post a bunch of pics, starting with the contents of each bag and then the bag fully loaded. I'm going to start with the Side Effect because this thing has become my new best friend. I love it. I stare at it when I can. I wear it cross body most of the times but pack it into the Alec for the airport trip (and remove it when I'm seated). It's really been great and has held all the little effects I needed for a day out (anti-bac!!). Afterwards, you'll notice a packing cube and a toiletry zip (both green) in the Smart Alec. The contents (for those who are curious) are pretty basic. Clothes: tshirt, polo, white button down, outlier 3-ways, outlier 60/30s, 2 pair Smartwool socks, 2 pair exofficio briefs. Nothing special in the toiletry kit, just your basic baller bachelor stuff. Okay enough rambling, here are some shots!

Hope they worked! First time on TapaTalk. More to come later--more rum for now! Thanks guys. LOVE both bags and both new pouches. --Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This should probably be put in Photos & Videos, but I really just wanted to express my new love for the Side Effect. I've always wanted to utilize a small/fanny pack but never found something that could hold everything I demanded without looking terrible. The Side Effect not only doesn't look terrible, but it looks great (as a packing cube, fanny pack AND cross body bag), and I still haven't reached it's capacity. The load I had would indeed fill the bag, but there was plenty of room for additional things. Ofcourse, adding these things would limit the ease of use of the bag (I was in and out of it FAST, grabbing whatever I needed without hassle) but it's good to know that I can cram more in here. Bravo, Side Effect. Love the color too--para pack navy. I'm glad I went with para pack also. It looks smaller when not packed with a lot, but I have a feeling it expands a bit easier than ballistic would. This is speculation, but with something like shoving a camera in here (P7800 Nikon), u can see how easily the para pack expands to hold this odd shape.

I also don't want to neglect the Smart Alec. I really only used this during travel in the airport, which is why I haven't been giving it as much love. But staring at It just now as it rolled through security, I realized I should give it some more love. I've had Alec for a few weeks now and finally got to use him on a plane.

It's perfect. It's small enough to carry-on without worry (not only regarding size restrictions, but also without whacking into people), but big enough to pack everything you NEED. As you can see, I packed 3 days worth of gear (and it was a pretty mediocre packing job) and still had plenty of room on the top of the main compartment, the right side pocket and and also the upper modular compartment. I bought a few paintings and they're bungeed secure in the front. I love this bag and seeing it roll through security all streamlined and sexy made me want to just express that.

Quote Originally Posted by platisc View Post
    I also don't want to neglect the Smart Alec. I really only used this during travel in the airport, which is why I haven't been giving it as much love. But staring at It just now as it rolled through security, I realized I should give it some more love. I've had Alec for a few weeks now and finally got to use him on a plane.

It's perfect. It's small enough to carry-on without worry (not only regarding size restrictions, but also without whacking into people), but big enough to pack everything you NEED. As you can see, I packed 3 days worth of gear (and it was a pretty mediocre packing job) and still had plenty of room on the top of the main compartment, the right side pocket and and also the upper modular compartment. I bought a few paintings and they're bungeed secure in the front. I love this bag and seeing it roll through security all streamlined and sexy made me want to just express that.
    You're the guy who had a Rambler... Now I remember… Your review has me rethinking the Smart Alec! I tried it for a second, found I preferred the pockets of the Synapse 25, but I really like seeing how you use the Smart Alec. Thanks for the user review!

Smart Alec and Side Effect go on a Humanitarian mission to Haiti

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    You're the guy who had a Rambler... Now I rememberů Your review has me rethinking the Smart Alec! I tried it for a second, found I preferred the pockets of the Synapse 25, but I really like seeing how you use the Smart Alec. Thanks for the user review!
    Yes indeed! I'm finding that I do still miss the ease of chucking large items into the massive Rambler, but I have yet to be restricted with cargo on my Smart alec. And ofcourse, organization is way way better. The Synapse definitely looks like a great bag, and perhaps better for compartmentalizations, but I really just prefer the cylindrical look of the Smart Alec and the gaping hole of its interior. Thanks for following! More to come
    Last edited by platisc; 04-19-2014 at 01:19 PM.

Back in New York groove! Here's a shot of my side effect wrapped around the airplane table tray (as suggested in some other thread). This was such a great little trick that kept all my items accessible throughout the flight, and I could tell my neighbors were jealous. Nothing scientific happening here, just simple functionality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by platisc; 04-19-2014 at 01:27 PM.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0