Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: To Vegas and Back with a Pilot and a Smart Alec

Quote Originally Posted by Vecturist View Post
    I don't have to worry about my drinking habits because of the price of a bottle...
    I'm not exactly sure how to interpret this statement. Must be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I love gin (Bombay Sapphire is my favourite) but it needs a good tonic. Fevertree is the best tonic brand I've come across, but few pubs stock it
    We are lucky enough to have a bottle shop nearby that stocks both Fevertree and Q-tonic. But most bars here seem to use schweppes.

We did a taste test between Tanquerey, Bombay Sapphire and Copperwave last night - the Bombay was definitely the smoothest.

(No we don't normally have 3 gins in stock - one bottle was almost out and we picked up the Copperwave on a recent trip to the Hunter Valley, a wine growing area which has a new distillery)

I have fond memories of a gin bar in Madrid a couple years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I'm not exactly sure how to interpret this statement. Must be nice.

I suspect Vecturist is lamenting the high cost of quality booze - which does indeed compel one to sip and savor rather than slam it down
    List under construction ....

Yes, I was complaining about the cost of my preferred booze - it's definitely not an 'glass everyday after work' drink, at least on my current salary, and I'd think it'd lose some appeal if it were.

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    I love gin (Bombay Sapphire is my favourite) but it needs a good tonic. Fevertree is the best tonic brand I've come across, but few pubs stock it

Fever tree is a very good tonic indeed. My favorite is Fentiman's, and I've never been able to find it at a bar.

scribe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vecturist View Post
    Yes, I was complaining about the cost of my preferred booze - it's definitely not an 'glass everyday after work' drink, at least on my current salary, and I'd think it'd lose some appeal if it were.
    Haha. For a second I thought you were saying the exact opposite.

I'm very lucky that my favorite gin, which is small batch, loaded with botanicals, and so forth, is somewhere around $27-29 per bottle. That does put it in the category of an everyday gin but since I have to go to another state to get it, I hoard it away.

The longest I ever hoarded a bottle was around five years with a bottle of Glenrothes. It moved with me something like four times. I kind of felt like a jerk when I finally killed it.

This discussion is making the $8 cashews seem like a good deal.

The one joy of being an utter lightweight is that I rarely have to worry about being able to afford two drinks at the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by snowbot View Post
    The one joy of being an utter lightweight is that I rarely have to worry about being able to afford two drinks at the bar.
    But ... Didn't you spend enough time in Wisconsin to adapt? What is this "lightweight" of which you speak?

wink, wink

Quote Originally Posted by backpack View Post
    It is easy to find out what hotel has them and avoid them. You can also ask for an empty fridge, they cannot say no because you could need it for medications.

I knew I read this tip on this forum somewhere! I totally did this on this trip and it absolutely worked! There are no refrigerators in the rooms of the hotel that I am staying at right now, and I walked down to the front desk and told them that I needed a refrigerator for medicines (which I don't have) for my child (which I don't have) and five minutes later a wonderful chap named Jimmy brought one up to me on a little dolly. Amazing. You, backpack, have changed my life! I travel fairly often and hate not being able to make my own meals--now I am happily munching on yogurt, soy milk, and hummus to my heart's content.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0