Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: An Aeronaut for Iceland?

So I wasn't entirely able to work out the image uploader (my own fault I'm sure), but I've uploaded two of my pictures of the Aeronaut test pack. The rest can be found here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/naraht...7643328919404/
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Emily, beautiful photos! What camera do you use?

Thank you, Steve! It's a Canon Powershot SX110IS, a few years old now. I've never really got further with it than point and shoot.

Sigh , love the wasabi interior with the aubergine. Wish my aubergine WF had wasabi instead of steel inside....

That aubergine/wasabi is very, very pretty! I was tempted, until I remembered my favourite coat is a muted red that would clash horribly with aubergine, so I went for a more conservative Steel/UV combo instead. I shall save my colour experimentation for smaller, less expensive items like the SE
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

The aubergine exterior and wasabi interior combo really does look like someone sliced into an eggplant. I have this pleasant thought every time I unzip my SE.
    taminca likes this.

Beautiful bag. So glad you found something that works for you!

I'm not going to Iceland, but Israel, and I will be doing a lot of bus and train travel between cities. In the buses there, at least, suitcase go under the bus. So this is my big question about choosing what to take. I keep going back and forth between wanting to take a roller versus one of my Tom Bihn bags. I know the ballistic material wipes clean pretty easily, so it is probably not a big deal if the fabric doesn't stay pristine.

Just curious as to your thoughts, particularly since you've been there before.
    ----
    Please bring back the Portable Culture patch!

Buses are a tough one, I agree. I'm actually going to New York City by Greyhound later this month, so that will be the inaugural trip for the new Tristar.

In Iceland I'll probably try to carry the Tristar onto the bus with me, and if I can't fit it in the overhead then I'll put it on the seat next to me or on the floor next to me. But the Greyhound to New York is always full so that becomes a little more tricky. Maybe the Tristar will fit into the overhead if it's underpacked? If not I might just tuck it under my legs, which I've done with small carry-ons before.

I do recall seeing one thread somewhere about taking luggage onto buses but it doesn't seem a very frequent issue somehow! Maybe most people here don't take buses.

Anyway, I'll report back after that trip.

Just popping in with a thought on bus travel - I've taken a ton of buses (spent ~6 months traveling leisurely from Buenos Aires, Argentina to San Jose, Costa Rica, almost entirely by bus (the only exceptions were one flight within Colombia and a boat ride from Colombia to Panama)), and while I was sadly not tuned in to Tom Bihn at the time, my no-name $30 duffel managed just fine under the buses. I've been consistently impressed with the quality and durability of Tom Bihn bags, so I'm absolutely sure there would be no issue tossing them under a bus. Uhh, I mean, in the luggage compartment, not, you know, running it over or anything - actually, maybe they'd still manage that okay. Yes, there is occasionally a little grime, but those are the battle scars that testify to your adventure! (And can probably be easily washed away once home.)

This is the problem with having such a nice bag, I think! I'm not worried about the durability at all, I just want to keep it pristine! For the time being anyway; I'll probably relax about it eventually.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0