Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Pilot

Pilot

Quality, as usual, is superb. I do regret, however, the lack of an O-ring in the center, front section. As someone who's older, and who has traveled a lot in places you can no longer get to easily to—and never carried a water bottle (tea water is boiled)—that center pocket would be more useful with an O-ring. Still, a great bag.

I agree about the water bottle pocket. I am fairly new to Tom Bihn and it's my one real complaint. Carrying a heavy water bottle around would be the last thing I'd want to do on a trip so I find the water bottle pocket troublesome. Even if I'm using the bag as a day bag, I'd be more likely to stop at a cafe to have water or buy a bottle of water and discard it when done than carrying a bottle of water around all day. I'm also generally carrying around electronics and I'm hesitant to carry water and electronics in the same bag. Plus, you can't get through airport security with water so you'd end up packing an empty bottle and presumably have to fill it up later. The best use I have found for the water bottle pockets has been a camera lens, although you'd want to wrap the lens for some added protection. I'm also experimenting with different sizes of the Travel Stuff Sacks to see how I can utilize them to make the water bottle pocket more useful for me. But clearly a lot of people like to carry around water. Perhaps in a gym bag. Perhaps in a hiking bag....but for everyday travel and longer trips, I don't have a need for one. I'll continue to look at old posts in this forum to see what creative ideas people have for the water bottle pocket. I'm sure I'll find many uses.

When not putting my Contigo autoseal vacuum travel mug, I use that pocket in my Co-Pilot to hold a compact umbrella or anything long and narrow/tubular - e.g. Bluetooth speaker - the UE Boom and Soundlink Mini fit in well for those holding mostly electronics.

If you want to have an-O-ring added, contact TB and arrange to them to send you some O-rings for a small cost. Add some thin webbing that you can get at a fabric or outdoor equipment store and you, or a local tailor, can sew in your own O-ring in the centre pocket. I have done this for other bags - specifically my older Brain Bag which was purchased before O-rings were used.

Hope this give you some ideas.

Cheers!
    Last edited by tpnl; 02-28-2014 at 12:05 PM.
    TavaPeak and WMW40 like this.
    Zephyr/SA/BB/Co-Pilot (Black/Black/Steel), S25/WF/TS/A45/Pilot/Cadet (Black/Iberian), DLBP (French Blue), Ego (Black/Black/Steel with Indigo Stripe), CPF (Black/Indigo/Steel), EB (Black/Steel/Steel), Vertical & Horizontal Brain Cells, Vertical and Horizontal FS, Camera I/O, PCBP/PCSB/TT (400d Nordic), SE (Black/Iberian), Lead's Pocket (Black), Tall YSS (Iberian)

Off to see if my travel umbrella fits...thanks for the suggestion!

I often use mine for an umbrella as well.
    Other items that fit are my flashlight and hand sanitizer, my scarf and/or gloves, or even snacks. (Today the center section of my Pilot held an orange and a banana).

Carrying a heavy water bottle around would be the last thing I'd want to do on a trip so I find the water bottle pocket troublesome.

I agree!!

I've often wondered out-loud on these very fora what all this obsession is with schlepping water bottles around. Lip balm, too, come to think of it.

I must admit I have carried one or two espressos in the center pocket of my co-pilot. However, I normally use it for various cables that would otherwise get tangled up with everything. I also use it to stuff a large Toddy Cloth (Mobile Device Screen Cleaner | Microfiber Cleaning Cloth | Toddy Gear) for the cleaning of my iPad and iPhone screens, as well as my iGlasses. Easy-in, easy-out.

I don't get why it's so hard to understand that some people drink water throughout the day, and when they do they may not have access to a fountain or want to buy a disposable plastic bottle. And anyone who lives in a dry and freezing (or dry and anything) climate can comprehend why applying lip balm might be a wise idea.

"Water bottle pocket" helps describe the shape of the pocket, and the sort of item it might hold. "Pocket suitable for holding a cylindrical object" could also work as a moniker, but, again, why?

Fwiw, I don't find the bottle pockets on the WF and TS to work super well for bottles unless they're small. Luckily, the pockets on those bags are suitable for many other objects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW I love love love the water bottle pockets on the Co Pilot, Pilot, S19, and S25. As someone who takes water with me literally everywhere I go, the water bottle pocket gets a ton of use. I especially love how they're incorporated in the middle of the bag as opposed to hanging off the sides. It makes the bags more balanced and more streamlined. Love it. While admittedly less balanced, I love that the pockets on the WF, TS, and SA fit water bottles as well. In fact, the water bottle pocket options on many of TB's travel and EDC bags was one of several things that first sucked me into the TB Vortex

Just wanted to share the flip side of the coin

Quote Originally Posted by cucciasv View Post
    Carrying a heavy water bottle around would be the last thing I'd want to do on a trip so I find the water bottle pocket troublesome.

I agree!!

I've often wondered out-loud on these very fora what all this obsession is with schlepping water bottles around. Lip balm, too, come to think of it.
    I'm a college instructor, and walk all day from building to building. I don't want to waste my time looking for a bubbler or my money/planet buying bottles of water. I need to stay hydrated, not just because I'm human but because I talk to groups of people all day. The lip balm keeps my lips from cracking in the winter weather.

Not too hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    I don't get why it's so hard to understand that some people drink water throughout the day, and when they do they may not have access to a fountain or want to buy a disposable plastic bottle. And anyone who lives in a dry and freezing (or dry and anything) climate can comprehend why applying lip balm might be a wise idea.
    Yes, Badger, exactly. I've scads of children and I'm constantly on the move- baseball fields, basketball courts, band concerts, library story hour, and travelling to and fro - and water fountains aren't always around, nor are water bottles readily accessible so I bring it with me. Everywhere. Lip balm too (and pens, paper, diapers, band aids, tylenol- well, you get the idea!)

Tom Bihn Inc has international customers, the best way to help visualize the size of the vertical pocket is to use a water bottle for size.

Before using Tom Bihn bags, I always carried a water bottle in an external water bottle pouch because I was a volunteer guide for a city park which required walking and talking.
    One summer, I was walking back home from an errand, I planned to take the bus back but I thought it was doable. I had forgotten to take my water bottle holder and when I arrived home, I had heat exhaustion.

After that very unpleasant experience, I always made sure I had the water bottle pouch inside bags while doing errands using public transports and walking, before I had Tom Bihn bags then, after getting a Large Cafe Bag then a Swift.

During a particularly suffocating summer, I switched to a Small Cafe Bag and a Packing Cube Backpack to lighten my load but I still needed the water bottle pouch which was getting cumbersome.

When Tom was designing the Synapse (19), the Tristar and the Co-Pilot; we all asked for a water bottle pocket, which are especially important for the Synapse and the Co-Pilot as they are EDC for many people.

For me, the water bottle of the Synapse 19 has been a lifesaver, because I have had to endure much hotter and drier summers, falls and winter and even Springs since I got it.

As far as lip balm is concerned, I have used it daily since I was in my teens. My first use was a couple of years before that, I had horribly painful lips due to the fact that an (abusive) adult, I had to deal with, considered lip balm makeup and forbid it as well as fruit juice small bottles.

I love carrying my Lifefactory bottle or my little milk, soy milk or coconut water packs, or a glass bottle of commercial iced tea; if I happened to have finished the content of the others; inside the wonderfully designed water bottle of my Synapse 19.

I do hope that the Tom Bihn Crew is going to make the Earbuds and Lipbalm Pouch in Parapack and Dyneema a permanent part of the products lineup.
    Last edited by backpack; 03-01-2014 at 12:47 PM.

Yes just chiming in on the love for the water bottle pocket - I'm reluctant to leave my apartment without my water bottle as I drink a lot of water and don't like the insecurity of not having it on me. For those of us who travel to countries without potable water, this is especially important.

That said, I'm always excited to hear all the other ideas people have for using this pocket on their bags - Just goes to show that the recommended use isn't always the best one for everyone, but like so much on Tom Bihn bags, discovering how to make it work for you personally is part of the fun!

I like the water bottle pocket for water, of course, but on the Synapse 19 and 25 it's also a handy spot for a book. On the Copilot, it's a good spot for a small notebook or maybe a small folded map.

In the Synapse 25, which serves as my camera bag, the large water bottle pocket is perfect for holding a compact, folded tripod. Nordic/Solar S25, packed and ready for an afternoon hike before the rain returns...

Name:  P1010768.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  150.0 KB
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

I think I'm still sold on the Gray Dyneema, but that Nordic is pretty.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast