Like Tree11Likes
  • 8 Post By Rusty1778
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 1 Post By Rusty1778
  • 1 Post By ClaireJ

Thread: Tristar in dash 8-100 overhead bins

Tristar in dash 8-100 overhead bins

Hey everyone,

After much research I finally ordered up my first Tom Bihn bag, a navy/iberian Tristar. I work at a remote mine in northern Canada and fly to and from work every two weeks on a Bombardier dash 8-100. These planes have a very small drop down overhead bin (probably the smallest one out there) and in all my reading I couldn't find an instance of someone fitting a Tristar in one. I'm happy to say that with a full load (2 changes of clothes,15" macbook pro, chargers, toiletries, 2 bags of coffee, large headphones, Ipad etc.) the bag fit as if it was made for the overhead, but just barely. A good shove was required to get the bin to fully close and engage the latches. With a slightly less full and bulging bag there would be no problem. I wanted to post this in case there were others out there regularly flying on the DHC-8-100 who wanted to get this bag.

As a side note, I really really like the bag, it's very compact yet well thought out. I've gone from a ~20" checked roller to this one bag carry on without loosing much capacity and I have no doubt that the sturdy construction can stand up to the abuse this kind of travel puts on a bag. All of the epic amount of praise they get for quality is justified. Sometimes you can tell right away when something is made to last. Also.. get an absolute strap!

Congratulations. Great color pick and, I think the TS is one of the most versatile bags out there. No doubt you'll get many years of use from it.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty1778 View Post
    2 bags of coffee
    Only the necessities, I see! (for me would be: gallon baggie of various teas and packets of instant oatmeal]

Also.. get an absolute strap!
    QFT (quoted for truth).

Even though the regular coffee is free at work I just can't do without some fresh ground from whole bean in a French press... Such a snob!

Even though the regular coffee is free at work I just can't do without some fresh ground from whole bean in a French press... Such a snob!
    You're in good company! I think there are several here who travel with coffee. I'm one of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
    You're in good company! I think there are several here who travel with coffee. I'm one of them!
    Me too. I've been accused of being g a coffee snob too.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Not snobs...once you have tasted excellent coffee, why settle for dishwater? We pack coffee on international travels as well. I have a travel French press. Small. Sometimes it's a little more bulk than what I want, but hey, it works....but all this digression has little to do with the lovely Tristar....
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Ditto. I take my own too. "Life's too short to drink lousy coffee."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't used one myself, but some people I know rave about the aeropress for traveling with coffee - more compact than a French press and some think the flavor is actually better!

ClaireJ, I had never heard of the Aeropress before, looks very cool and well reviewed. I think it will be perfect for the type of travel I do.. Even for camping/backpacking. I'd be willing to bet one will be ordered by the end of the day!

Volunteer Moderator

For more coffee related threads…

ClaireJ, I had never heard of the Aeropress before, looks very cool and well reviewed. I think it will be perfect for the type of travel I do.. Even for camping/backpacking. I'd be willing to bet one will be ordered by the end of the day!
    @Rusty1778, @ClaireJ, @blarson94 and others, you might want to take a read through some of the old forum threads like
    The latter thread has more discussion about the Aeropress and other options.

Great, thanks for the thread reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0