Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Like Tree21Likes
  • 11 Post By yohopee
  • 1 Post By moriond
  • 4 Post By scribe
  • 1 Post By backpack
  • 1 Post By monkeylady
  • 1 Post By Moose
  • 2 Post By yohopee

Thread: Congratulations TB S25 FTW! Carryology voters chose as #1!

Congratulations TB S25 FTW! Carryology voters chose as #1!

LCB, S19, SE, Co-Pilot, wallet, pouches

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by yohopee View Post
    It seems churlish to cavil about this, since I agree with many of the summary points:
    Excellent fabrics and zips. Flawless construction. An interesting three-dimensional pattern that grows and shrinks without need for compression. And every organizing pocket you could want. Tom Bihn care about making excellent carry, and it totally shows.
    But really, where did this last comment come from?
    Although, we recommend you get it in black; Bihn still haven’t quite nailed the precarious world of colorways.
    Sniff! Just a comment from someone who has ordered the Synapse 25 in 400d Nordic Dyneema/Solar.
    taminca likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post

Sniff! Just a comment from someone who has ordered the Synapse 25 in 400d Nordic Dyneema/Solar.
    Yes, I thought that was a bit catty. Because briefcases and backpacks are well known for being at the cutting edge of fashion, right? </sarcasm>

I love that TB caters for both the most sombre, business-like options and fun, casual gear in vibrant colours. Some of the combinations aren't to my taste, but there's enough of a range to suit everyone.
    Collections:
    Work EDC: SE + S19 (summer); SE + SA (winter)
    Leisure: some combination of SE/SCB/MCB/Swift/LS/FJN/DLBC/Imago/SSB
    Travel: WF + Pilot/DLBP + SE/SCB or SA + SE/SCB
    General organisation: More pouches, stuff sacks and cubes than you can shake a keystrap at!
    Favourite TB colours: aubergine, forest (sniff!), linen, wasabi, UV
    Hoping for: FJN for iPad Mini + Moleskine; a Linen Side Effect; the return of Portable Culture!

Thanks for helping me up my vocab with churlish and cavil especially since I have been reviewing vocab notecards

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    It seems churlish to cavil about this, since I agree with many of the summary points:

Quote Originally Posted by scribe View Post
    Yes, I thought that was a bit catty. Because briefcases and backpacks are well known for being at the cutting edge of fashion, right? </sarcasm>

I love that TB caters for both the most sombre, business-like options and fun, casual gear in vibrant colours. Some of the combinations aren't to my taste, but there's enough of a range to suit everyone.
    Completely agree!

Maybe he posted in the wrong sub-chapter of his post?

The other stuff are really fashion non existent.
    yohopee likes this.

Sounds to me like he reviewed the bag but didn't bither to check offerings on the website. Oops!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Just goes to show you can't believe everything you read on the net.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

True. But the voters (whoever they are as a whole) did put this bag in first place on that particular site. Maybe the writer just does not "get" the colour combinations. I like to believe that TB caters to people who look for innovation, colour combinations included.
    LCB, S19, SE, Co-Pilot, wallet, pouches

I know the article was just released, but WHEN was it written? If I recall correctly, the color choices for the Synapse 25 (and many other bags as well) were pretty slim just before Christmas . . . The Synapse 25 has been an extremely popular bag since it's release. Perhaps the author wrote the article just before a production run when our color choices jump back up again?
    Last edited by Melissa; 02-27-2014 at 08:19 AM.
    Seeking Cardinal Co-Pilot!

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Melissa View Post
    I know the article was just released, but WHEN was it written? If I recall correctly, the color choices for the Synapse 25 (and many other bags as well) were pretty slim just before Christmas . . . The Synapse 25 has been an extremely popular bag since it's release. Perhaps the author wrote the article just before a production run when our color choices jump back up again?
    I couldn't find the Synapse 25 written up in a previous Carryology review, as was the case for some ohter "honorable mentions" that were linked to earlier reviews from late 2013. Therefore, I assumed that the review was meant to apply to the close of this year's awards voting and to summarize those evaluations. If that is the case, the review had to be written sometime in February 2014, or within the last few weeks. If it were written a few days after the voting closed, then the Nordic/Solar option for the Synapse 25 would not have been listed, but colors like Olive/Steel, Navy/Solar, Navy/Iberian and the 400d Dyneema combinations of Steel/UV, Steel/Steel, Black/Wasabi, and Black/Iberian should also have all been available besides the various Black Parapack color combinations. These are presumably the color offerings that demonstrated "Bihn still haven’t quite nailed the precarious world of colorways.".

One other observation,
    I can't quite seem to find Tom Bihn on the "listing of Brands" page,

Brands | Carryology

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailhiker View Post
    One other observation,
    I can't quite seem to find Tom Bihn on the "listing of Brands" page,

Brands | Carryology
    I didn't see a Tom Bihn brand listing either -- although the Founder's Briefcase made the nominations for the best work messenger bag. I searched for previous reviews, and concluded there wasn't one for the Synapse 25 before the Carryology Awards for this year.

Volunteer Moderator
    Just a follow up note to say that the Carryology Synapse 25 review on their site, and as quoted in the blog now simply reads "Oh, and particularly in this pack, we like the black." as a replacement for the earlier phrase I was objecting to: "Although, we recommend you get it in black; Bihn still haven't quite nailed the precarious world of colorways."

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0