Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Pilot

smj

Pilot

I got my Pilot yesterday - Black/Wasabi. It's early, but my first impression is that it's wonderful. It's exactly the size I hoped for to use as my work bag. I have the Co-Pilot, and it's juuuust a bit too small to hold letter sized paper. The Pilot fits those papers with no problem. My sense is that I'd use a horizontal Freudian Slip if one that fits becomes available (hint hint TB! ) It also fits my current water bottle (a Liberty Bottleworks like the Tom Bihn ones, but this is from a local radio station). I've put on the red cord pulls and like how it adds just a bit of color to the black bag. Not sure if I'll keep 'em on, but for now I'm going with it.

As will all my other Tom Bihn bags, this one is wonderfully made and thoughtfully designed.

Well done Tom Bihn and Crew!
    Black/Wasabi SCB + Navy/Solar Aeronaut + Black/Black/Steel Zephyr + Black/Wasabi Co-Pilot + Black/Wasabi Pilot + several accessories...

Nice!

Photos!

Mine was delayed due to weather

Nylon or dyneema? Thinking about a pilot as a work bag so curious!

smj
    Mine is the Black/Wasabi nylon. I have a Zephyr which is more of a true briefcase, but don't always need the structure and weight that come with that bag. The Pilot definitely is more casual looking, but that's not usually an issue for me.

Icarus, I'm sorry to hear about the delay! I got an exception notice for "adverse weather conditions" when it got to Mass., so I thought it wouldn't arrive on the original date, but somehow they got it to me on time!
    Black/Wasabi SCB + Navy/Solar Aeronaut + Black/Black/Steel Zephyr + Black/Wasabi Co-Pilot + Black/Wasabi Pilot + several accessories...

Quote Originally Posted by smj View Post
    I got my Pilot yesterday - Black/Wasabi. It's early, but my first impression is that it's wonderful. It's exactly the size I hoped for to use as my work bag. I have the Co-Pilot, and it's juuuust a bit too small to hold letter sized paper. The Pilot fits those papers with no problem. My sense is that I'd use a horizontal Freudian Slip if one that fits becomes available (hint hint TB! ) It also fits my current water bottle (a Liberty Bottleworks like the Tom Bihn ones, but this is from a local radio station). I've put on the red cord pulls and like how it adds just a bit of color to the black bag. Not sure if I'll keep 'em on, but for now I'm going with it.

As will all my other Tom Bihn bags, this one is wonderfully made and thoughtfully designed.

Well done Tom Bihn and Crew!
    How deep is the main compartment?

Thanks

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanover View Post
    How deep is the main compartment?

Thanks
    Welcome to the Forums, Hanover. I'd say the main compartment is about 2.75" deep. (The Large Packing Cube for the Pilot is 2.5" deep, and fills up most, but not all of the compartment when completely full).

moriond

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    Welcome to the Forums, Hanover. I'd say the main compartment is about 2.75" deep. (The Large Packing Cube for the Pilot is 2.5" deep, and fills up most, but not all of the compartment when completely full).

moriond
    Thanks and thanks...

I'm hoping to fit a 13"x9"x1.3" laptop, plus a IPad 4 in travel case. I'm excited to hear Tom Bihn might have an option that would allow me to get away from the bulk and weight of my LuggageWorks totes.

Volunteer Moderator
    Thanks and thanks...

I'm hoping to fit a 13"x9"x1.3" laptop, plus a IPad 4 in travel case. I'm excited to hear Tom Bihn might have an option that would allow me to get away from the bulk and weight of my LuggageWorks totes.
    Sounds like your laptop would use the size 6Z cache option for the Pilot, but I'd check with the Tom Bihn folks.

By the way, most of the actual comments about the Pilot are in the (very long) The New Pilot Available for Pre-order in January 2014! thread, rather than in separate review posts, and are intermixed with the moans about shipping delays.

There have been separate posts that reference the Pilot elsewhere, but they're mostly focused on specific topics, like how well 15" laptops (officially not rated for this bag) fit (e.g. see the Pilot of Cadet? thread (started before anyone received the Pilot), or what the Pilots using light-weight 400d Dyneema material (a new option) look like (e.g. Can anyone point me to a photo of a Black Dyneema/Wasabi Co-Pilot or Pilot?). Then there are a few posts that speculated about how to piggyback bags if you're not carrying the Pilot inside another bag: Way to piggy-back Co-Pilot (or Pilot) on Tri-Star (or Aeronaut)? That thread does have a picture of a Navy Ballistic Nylon Pilot carried with a Navy Ballistic Nylon Tri-Star at the very end, which you might find helpful for size impressions, but the colors are off because of the flash. A better way to view the actual Navy color (and to get a feel for the size of the Tri-Star) is to look at the My new Navy/Solar Aeronaut Arrived! thread, which accurately shows the appearance of Navy (and Solar in the interior) and the relative size of various Tom Bihn bags, including the Tri-Star that some people are packing the Pilot inside of (and that appears in jmoz's picture in the thread about piggy-backing the Pilot).

Sorry, but you'll just have to plow through the end of the The New Pilot Available for Pre-order in January 2014! thread for the most detailed initial comments about the Pilot.

Thanks for the info.

Too bad T.B. can't just post accurate and detailed internal dimensions of the various compartments.

I'd much rather know what I can put IN by bag vs. where my bag will fit.
    Last edited by Hanover; 02-21-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Thanks for the info.

Too bad T.B. can't just post accurate and detailed internal dimensions of the various compartments.

I'd much rather know what I can put IN by bag vs. where my bag will fit.
    Darcy can probably respond to that. You can get a rough idea of the size of the compartments from the dimensions of the packing cubes (given on the Product page.) I meant that most long-time forum members who posted outside that long thread focused about very detailed and specific issues that are not meant as a general review. Some of those threads have pictures that might be of general interest, but you'd have to read that long thread for the detailed comments.

I understand that from the point of view of someone who's entirely new to these products that you'd like to read a full-up review, but for most of us, a comprehensive write-up would take some time to do, many are still in the middle of receiving their orders (or got them early because they had to immediately travel and wanted to use them). On the other hand, if you ask specific questions, most forum members will respond with the information you might need.

HTH.

smj
    Hanover, this is going to sound like a cop-out, but just bear with me. The interior of the Pilot is sort of flexible as you easily can eat up some of the front pocket width by jamming the main compartment with wide stuff. For instance, I just jammed a stack of books 4 1/4 inches wide into the main compartment. There was still some room in the front pockets.

My M-I-L's Co-Pilot came to visit my Pilot over the weekend, and I decided to capture a few photos of the pair. They are both in Nordic, so they really looked great next to each other! It makes me want to buy a Co-Pilot, although I doubt I'd use it much. The Pilot is a great size for my needs! Anyway, if you're interested in a few comparison shots, here they are:

Here's a side by side shot. They look remarkably similar in size in this photo, I think.

And here's a photo with the Co-Pilot superimposed over the Pilot.

And now for an aerial view. This is the one that shows the biggest difference in size, in my opinion.

I hope these are helpful to those who are looking for some comparison shots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very helpful. I notice how dramatically the color changes depending on the light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeylady View Post
    Very helpful. I notice how dramatically the color changes depending on the light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I know, right!?? There are three different colors represented in those three photos. It is so hard to capture it in real life; none of these photos really capture the color just right.

I just received my new Black/Wasabi Dyneema Pilot bag (30 minutes ago!!). Not in love at first sight yet; maybe it takes time (not sure about the "unrigidness" of the dyneema material, in comparison with the ballistic...but we'll see). The first thing that caught my eye was the zippers. I used to have a ballistic Co-Pilot with the old zippers which were clearly waterproof. The Pilot web page description now says "water repellent" (I have huge doubts), which is a huge difference, at least to the eye, with the old waterproof zippers. This move to the new zippers looks (to me) to be a clear direction in cost-cutting. Hope I'm wrong, but this is definitely not an improvement over the previous version of zippers. Don't understand why the change.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast