Like Tree15Likes
  • 9 Post By Janine
  • 2 Post By taminca
  • 3 Post By moriond
  • 1 Post By snowbot

Thread: Love letter to my S25

Love letter to my S25

Dear Navy/UV Synapse 25,

When you first arrived, I was skeptical. You felt long on my back - an odd sensation after having grown accustomed to the way your smaller cousin fit me. There was always so much room left in your main compartment after I put in all my daily carry items. And was Navy really the color for me while I still nurture a flame for Indigo in my heart?

It didn't take long for your unique charms to grown on me. I love your cheerful UV interior. I carry Wasabi and Iberian Dyneema accessories. The three colors of Dyneema look great together. There's enough contrast between them to make finding the right pouch easy, even in low lighting.

I love the way that my stuff fits in your pockets. It's not quite how I carried items in the Synapse 25, but this arrangement is better. I keep a Snake Charmer stocked with wipes, diapers, a tiny first aid kit, and a wet bag in your lower compartment. This separates the diaper bag items from the rest of my daily carry, so I don't feel overwhelmed by momness when I go out to lunch with coworkers. I can pull out the Snake Charmer and hand it to Dad if he's wrangling the stinky kid, but all of my personal items stay with me (keys, wallet, etc).

Your front pocket is a convenient place to stash my phone and a flannel handkerchief.

Your water bottle pocket has held a water bottle, but more frequently it holds my keys on a 16" strap and whatever odds and ends had to be snatched up quickly and stowed.

One side pocket contains a Size 2 Travel Stuff Sack with non-perishable snacks and bribes (granola bars and gummy bears).

Your other side pocket carries a few Flip & Tumble 24-7 bags for shopping.

Every day, your main compartment carries my Side Effect (purse) and my knitting. Occasionally it also houses a notebook, my MBA13 in a Cache, my iPad Mini in a Waterfield bag, extra layers, stuffed animals, Lego, wooden trains, Matchbox cars, extra outfits for the kids, lunch, books, apples, bananas, more Matchbox cars, more books.

Carrying you feels so natural that I never switch to another bag, even if I'm bringing less with me that day. I'd rather carry you than any other bag, even if you are mostly empty. I put you on my shoulders and only take you off if I really need to. You bike with me, you walk with me, you shop with me, you work with me, you go to the park and the playground with me. Kids step on you. You get slammed in the car door every once in a while. My cat pooped on you...twice. I drop you. I knock you over. I get you wet (usually it's just rain). I love you.

Will you be my BBF? My Best Bag Forever?

With affection bordering on obsession,
    Janine

ps. Navy really is the color for me. Don't tell Indigo.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Wow, Janine! Note to self... Must put S25 on my ever growing list of future purchases.
    "Inside everyone is a great shout of joy waiting to be born."
    -- David Whyte

Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janine View Post
    Dear Navy/UV Synapse 25
    <snip>

Will you be my BBF? My Best Bag Forever?

With affection bordering on obsession,
    Janine

ps. Navy really is the color for me. Don't tell Indigo.
    I'm shocked! (umm… what about Nordic?) Will your affections be swayed if they ever offer the Synapse 25 in Nordic/UV? Whatever happened to "Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds?"

Thanks Janine. I appreciated reading of your love for the S25 because there may be one in my future. I accidentally bid on one on eBay and no one has put in a higher bid in almost 2 days. (How does one accidentally bid on an S25? By confusing the S25 post with the WF post on my tiny phone screen.)

I've been using my S19 for work lately and am finding that it just isn't quite big enough. Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who isn't strongly attached to their S19.
    Last edited by snowbot; 02-06-2014 at 07:14 AM.
    Janine likes this.

snowbot, I share your pain. I feel like Goldilocks! The S19 feels too small, and the S25 is too big for my personal item, though I'm tall and the S25 fits me well. For this trip (flying United in March - need 17 x 11 x 9"), I wish the S25 were a little shorter.

This morning, I was hankering for an "S22", or a "wide-body" S19. The organization of Synapse is super for storing the Side Effect and 3D clear organizer, and they fit better in the wider-proportioned front pockets of the S25. I put a small water bottle in one of the side pockets, and use that long center pocket for either the SE or 3D.

I adore the front pockets for the Pilot (especially the tablet sleeve--perfect!), but the storage section in the main pocket is too small for my other items.
    Last edited by TavaPeak; 02-06-2014 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by moriond View Post
    I'm shocked! (umm… what about Nordic?) Will your affections be swayed if they ever offer the Synapse 25 in Nordic/UV? Whatever happened to "Love is not love Which alters when it alteration finds?"
    It is an ever-fixed mark, that looks on tempests, and is never shaken!

Nordic is still one of my favorite colors. I dearly love Nordic. I adore my Sapphire YSS (in fact, today's knitting project is napping in it right now). Over the weekend I had occasion to bring out Sapphire and Nordic and put them side by side for comparison. Sapphire and Nordic are very, very close but what struck me most about the difference between the two is the weight of the fabric, and that led to a huge a-ha moment: I greatly prefer the bright Dyneemas in 200d.

I love Wasabi, Iberian, Ultraviolet, and Sapphire best in accessories and small bags. PCSBs? I have one in every color and use them frequently. Pouches and sacks? Yes indeed, I have many and use them all the time. My Nordic/Steel S19 is languishing. I was already feeling a bit over-blued by it when the S25 came along. Even my Nordic LSB is passed over at times when it would have been the right bag for the job.

On the other hand, my Black Dyneema LSB and LS are out and ready for shopping and knitting, respectively. There's something about Black that whispers "I need to be on the outside of a large bag" to me. Wasabi, Iberian, Ultraviolet, and even Nordic tell me that they'd rather be on the inside.

I'm not so certain of Steel. My Side Effect is Steel/Wasabi and I like it just so. I'm not seeking out a Steel Shop Bag, though. It bears further consideration and probably a lot more product evaluation. :-)

All this leaves me in an unfortunate spot. I would buy every small accessory that TB sewed in Nordic, but the weight of Nordic confines it to the outside of larger bags. Bummer!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Inigo Montoya: You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Volunteer Moderator
    Nordic is still one of my favorite colors. I dearly love Nordic. I adore my Sapphire YSS (in fact, today's knitting project is napping in it right now). Over the weekend I had occasion to bring out Sapphire and Nordic and put them side by side for comparison. Sapphire and Nordic are very, very close but what struck me most about the difference between the two is the weight of the fabric, and that led to a huge a-ha moment: I greatly prefer the bright Dyneemas in 200d.
    I should probably translate the YSS as a a Sapphire Dyneema Yarn Stuff Sack, since many forum members will not be familiar with this very limited run, early Dyneema color. The color is shown in Maverick's video on how to fold a Shop Bag at this link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34bCKoCmBpU

my Black Dyneema LSB and LS are out and ready for shopping and knitting, respectively. There's something about Black that whispers "I need to be on the outside of a large bag" to me. Wasabi, Iberian, Ultraviolet, and even Nordic tell me that they'd rather be on the inside.
    Agree that I really like the Little Swift in Black Dyneema/Iberian, although I still use my Hemp Little Swift regularly.

I'm not so certain of Steel. My Side Effect is Steel/Wasabi and I like it just so. I'm not seeking out a Steel Shop Bag, though. It bears further consideration and probably a lot more product evaluation. :-)

All this leaves me in an unfortunate spot. I would buy every small accessory that TB sewed in Nordic, but the weight of Nordic confines it to the outside of larger bags. Bummer!
    I really like the Side Effect in both 400d Black/Wasabi Dyneema and 400d Nordic/Solar Dyneema (the last went into back order for April status a couple of days ago). The texture of the SE in 400d Black/Wasabi was what moved me to get the Little Swift in Black Dyneema when it was first offered in October. (Plus, I thought the Iberian would be awesome with this fabric). I'm really curious about the reception of the HT Parapack Nylon Swifts over at Ravelry, because I like the texture of the 400d Dyneema so much more, and for solid colors I still prefer the Ballistic Nylon offerings over the Parapack for these bags. I'd guess there might be a larger contingent of users who like this material option in the Swift, though.

You do know that there are now Nordic (and Black, and UV, and Solar -- but no Iberian) Clear Organizer Wallets for sale now, don't you? I think the 400d weights will work better than the lighter Dyneema weights for the wallets. I have some coming with my Pilot order. I don't think there are any other small accessories around yet in Nordic. (I asked when I called in to add the wallets, but there really haven't been any pouches). The Kiwi/Nordic pocket pouches, such as the one that I have and that gochicken has shown in some pictures are long since gone.

I'll offer to give a good home to any Indigo products that may be languishing with you.

moriond

This is such a great post! I have a dyneema synapse 19 that I adore, but found that it's a tad too small for the stuff I'm starting to carry regularly. I just sold a couple of older bags I had and ordered a black dyneema/wasabi synapse 25, which I imagine will suit my needs a bit better. I don't think I could bear to part with the S19 though. There are a lot of students asking for advice between the S25 and the S19, and I can say for sure now that the S25 will be a better fit for a student load.

I did not know that the Clear Organizer Wallets were offered in Dyneema colors! Thank you for the heads-up! And I will definitely keep you in mind next time I destash an Indigo item. :-)

Thank you! Unless the student is very young, very small, or has a lot of e-textbooks, the S25 is probably the better choice. It can fit a larger laptop, which in itself might be the swing vote.

Volunteer Moderator
    I did not know that the Clear Organizer Wallets were offered in Dyneema colors! Thank you for the heads-up! And I will definitely keep you in mind next time I destash an Indigo item. :-)
    Also, I've been using the Double Carabiner Clips of the Knitting Tool Pouches for attaching both these O-Ring pouches and pouches with Snap Hooks. I think they're linked to one of the Clear Organizer Wallet threads from backpack's Double Carabiner 4 Thumbs Up thread. I also use the clips to secure my iPad Mini in its Side Effect to the seat pocket in front, and to secure pouches to o-Rings in the Co-Pilot. Adding all the links is not so easy in TapaTalk, so I'll paste a few in:

Side Effect is a good match for iPad mini
    Packing Cubes for Co-Pilot

I would buy every small accessory that TB sewed in Nordic, but the weight of Nordic confines it to the outside of larger bags. Bummer!
    Ditto on this.

I completely missed the Double Carabiners when I ordered my Knitting Tool Pouch. I was so excited, I don't think I read any of the text on the page, LOL. Then I forgot about them again when I ordered my Olive/UV Side Effect. I am kicking myself! They look so useful! I've been using S-Biners for some of the same tasks, but they aren't very secure. The S-Biner hinges are easy to open and sometimes open on their own if one isn't gentle with them.

Volunteer Moderator
    I completely missed the Double Carabiners when I ordered my Knitting Tool Pouch. I was so excited, I don't think I read any of the text on the page, LOL. Then I forgot about them again when I ordered my Olive/UV Side Effect. I am kicking myself! They look so useful! I've been using S-Biners for some of the same tasks, but they aren't very secure. The S-Biner hinges are easy to open and sometimes open on their own if one isn't gentle with them.
    Should I also mention that the Cafe Bags are all now available in 400d Black/Wasabi Dyneema and 400d Nordic/Solar Dyneema, both back ordered to April? The new Clear Organizer wallet offerings came out last week, with more Ballistic Nylon colors, too. Wasabi and Steel (200d Dyneema) were older issues. Then, a few days later, I saw that the Cafe Bags were offering 400d Black/Wasabi and 400d Nordic/Solar Dyneema on back for April.

As for the Double Carabiner Clips, I ordered one with the Knitting Tool Pouches, and then ordered 5 more in my next order. I just never had a chance to post pictures back in December. I also found the S-Biners sometimes open too easily.

You inspired me to take another look at the website and see what new colors and combos are available. I was sad to see that there's very little in Navy/UV. Sad, but not surprised. When I ordered this one, I was told that they probably wouldn't do another run of Navy/UV anytime soon. Bummer! I suspect that it isn't a popular combo.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0