Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By flitcraft

Thread: Passport holder can be a phone holder, too!

Passport holder can be a phone holder, too!

One of the things I love about Tom Bihn products is how versatile they can be. I didn't really think I needed a passport holder, but once I got one, I really liked how convenient it was to have my passport, boarding passes, and customs forms securely and accessibly contained while doing the zombie-walk through customs and immigration after a long flight.

I thought I'd mention another use for the passport pouch--it can double as a smartphone holder. I spent a while on crutches and later with a walker where both arms were needed for ambulation. My smartphone was my lifeline then--an easy way to call my husband when he was out in the yard or in the basement when I needed something and couldn't get up or down the stairs easily. But the problem is that smartphones have gotten bigger and bigger and women's clothes often have dinky pockets or no pockets at all. And, it's probably my own clutziness, but having a shoulder bag seemed to throw off my balance a bit. (Or maybe it was the pain pills??) Anyway, I discovered that having my smartphone in my passport holder around my neck was the answer.

So, if you are looking for a thoughtful gift for someone who is not able to get around easily, I recommend the passport holder as a cellphone holder. And of course, the best and most versatile gift of all is the travel tray. Beats the heck out of flowers...
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

Are you still able to receive calls while the phone is in there? I thought the RFID blocking it has would stop the cell waves?

Volunteer Moderator
    indeed, the rfid blocking fabric in the passport pouch does kill the cell reception. if you have an iphone, place it inside of the passport pouch, seal the pouch, wait a minute, and press the power button on top of the iphone and the home button at the same time. you will get a screenshot that should show minimal bars or no service.

Ah, interesting. I mainly worried about being able to call out when I needed to, rather than to get calls in.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I used my RFID pouch to hold my iPhone and a Cork Wallet during my trip to Yellowstone. It worked great for quick trips (walking) around the town of West Yellowstone for dinner or grocery shopping. Hands-free minimalist perfection.
    Satisfied owner of: Azalea Swift & LS & 3D COC, Blk/Plum Swift, Cork LS, Blk/UV LS, Synapse & Co-Pilot, Steel/UV Pilot, Fst/Stl Tri-Star, Fst/Blk/UV SA, UV PCSB, Plum SE, FJN, & SCB, UV CQPC, Aubergine WF, LS & Kit, Trvl Trays, Passport Pouches, and Shop Bags in all colors , Multiplying OPs

I originally bought the RFID Passport Pouch for the RFID protection, but I've noticed several additional benefits.

First, it's SO convenient to connect to an O-ring in one of the bags, and have it out of the way, yet readily accessible whenever I need it.

Lately, I've been keeping it attached to the O-ring in the main zippered pouch of my Co-Pilot, and whenever I'm in a situation where I need to show it multiple times (like in a foreign airport), I pull it out of the zippered compartment (but still attached to the O-ring) and put it in the open pocket on the back of the Co-Pilot. I then re-zip the main compartment closed to meet in the middle around the key strap. At that point, my passport can be pulled out of the velcro pouch in a matter of seconds without disturbing anything else in the Co-Pilot, yet still securely fastened to the bag.

The second unintended feature is that my passport *always* lives in my Iberian Passport Pouch, and that means that I always know where it is. A passport by itself is pretty small and flat, and can easily get lost in a drawer or under some papers. But when it's living in my Iberian Passport Pouch, I can spot it in seconds.

The only time my passport is ever out of its Passport Pouch is when I am in the act of showing it to somebody, and I leave the open Passport Pouch dangling out of my bag on the Key Strap as a reminder that my passport is out. This makes it practically impossible for me to accidentally leave it somewhere and lose it -- which can be a nightmare while traveling internationally.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0