Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Travel tray: the understated rock star

Travel tray: the understated rock star

This should be called "the little wonder" because it is so simple but so helpful.

I used it on my recent trip and it sped up my process through security so much that after I stepped away from the Security area, I stopped to make sure I didn't lost anything. It was so fast and easy.

I just threw all my little items into it when going through security and picked it all up on my way out. While I by hotel, I put my watch, Fitbit Flex, and my phone into it so it was always in one place.

My dad, who travels a fair amount will definitely be getting one for his birthday.

I agree with how great it is! Someone on the forum shared that she outfits hers with lots of snacks for long trips....so I had to get another one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by bradnd99 View Post
    This should be called "the little wonder" because it is so simple but so helpful.

I used it on my recent trip and it sped up my process through security so much that after I stepped away from the Security area, I stopped to make sure I didn't lost anything. It was so fast and easy.
    A rockstar indeed! I use mine every single day, why wait for a trip? I take my iberian and sit it on my desk at work for my glasses, cellphone, lens cleaner and all those things I need when I'm working.
    Last edited by MelissaL; 01-11-2014 at 07:47 PM.

I use mine as a catch-all on the nightstand whenever I travel. In fact, it's the first thing I grabbed today as I was packing for my trip this week :-)

Since Nordic is slowly seeping into smaller bags.... Nordic travel tray anyone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Favorite: Steel/Steel LS * Latest: Nordic/Solar S25 * Wishlist: New 400d Color

I have 2 solar travel trays. One lives by the bedside permanently and holds vitamins and contact lenses, etc, the other is always in an end pocket of my aeronaut ready for overnights. When my partner and I were alternating between home and my late father in laws house in Cornwall which we were refurbishing, a travel tray held all the essential prescription drugs for my partner (we called it the "pill podule") and just knowing that everything was corralled safely helped to reduce the stress of what we were dealing with just that little bit. Such a simple idea but such a good one!
    A45 crm/stl TS nvy/sol A30 aub/was BB nvyP/stlP S19 nor/stl P nor/sol CP blk/stl; SE was CQPC ibrn, sol Ri aub/stl 3DCC crd TSS4 was K crd TT sol,nor,blk CC crd/stl PCBP sol PP nvy QK for,coy,aub + lotsa cubes!

My wasabi travel tray is ready to travel with some leftover euros, photocopies of documents, and an immersion heater I got in Italy that of course is less useful voltage-wise in America. As an aside, it was one of my favorite purchases ever, as I was able to explain in fractured Italian that I needed to heat water for coffee. My point, though --- since that travel tray is earmarked and ready for travel, perhaps I need a second one for home! They are useful little devils.

Yup, it's hard to remember how I ever got along without it. It corrals all those little bits and pieces to hand, keeps them easy to access, and then synches down in a snap to keep it all in place while on the move. And, yes, I do use mine at home, too. That started when I got into an accident and was bed-and-chair-bound for a couple of months--it was so incredibly handy to have things to hand that I needed without always having to call my husband to fetch my lip balm, a cough drop, the TV remote, my Kindle, etc. etc.

Most unique Tom Bihn item, and that's saying something.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

I have two (steel and Iberian) and they are so handy! Right now I am using the steel one as a knitting bag, and the Iberian one as my catch-all on a dresser or nightstand when I travel. I have one in UV on order too, to use as a knitting bag so DH can have the steel for travel I love how the side can stand up and become a knitting bowl. And if I want to take my work with me, it's a snap.

Ok, I have a travel tray and used it on my most recent trip, but here's my problem. Everything I put in the tray at night went somewhere else in the morning (glasses on face, iphone in pocket, lipbalm in other pocket, etc; if I was travelling that day, things like Kindle and pills went into a stuff sack so I could take everything I needed out on the plane). So while I see the convenience of it in case of emergency, I'm not sure what it does over having everything just on a bedside table. So I feel like I'm missing out on the rockstardom somewhat.

The Travel Tray goes in my personal carry-on. There are things that obviously don't fit in there like Kindle, phone, Ipad mini. They get stored elsewhere in my personal carry. I like this for trips (mine are only vacations at this point). Mr. Monkeylady and I do tropical travel, usually to ecolodges. They frequently have teeny tiny night stands, or just one night stand, or no night stand. I like to corral my essentials in these circumstances, which include my headlamp, flashlight, routine meds, charging cords and chargers ( for Kindle and Ipad Mini) and other predictable items.

On the homefront, and I think I've mentioned this before, I live in earthquake country. I keep my glasses, Fenix flashlight, earplugs, and hearing aid on my nightstand for an efficient escape. My SE which I use as my EDC is nearby. I don't want to be frantically gathering up these things in an emergency. All this being said, everyone obviously has their approach to personal organization and may well think this is overkill. It might be but I feel relatively prepared.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

The advantage of the Travel Tray over just putting things on the nightstand is that things on a nightstand can roll off, get knocked off, hide themselves amidst things sop they get forgotten, etc. In the Travel Tray, everything stays where it's supposed to be.
    Western Flyer (crimsom) with Absolute strap, Zephyr (black), Medium Cafe Bag (steel/olive), Shop Bags (solar, steel), Large Cafe bag (navy/cayenne), Small café bag (forest), Tristars (steel/solar and indigo/solar),Aeronaut (steel), Side Effects (old skool black cordura, olive parapack), Imagos (steel, cork, wasabi, and aubergine, hemp, steel), Dyneema Western Flyer (Nordic/Steel) and miscellaneous packing cubes, pouches, etc.

When I travel I have a "little army" of travel trays at the ready.

As a rule there are usually nightstands, not always (b &b's, when visiting family abroad and you r in a makeshift guest room)
    Nightstand or not,,,,,
    Wedding ring (does one even what to chance that thing being pushed off the side and forgotten about in the mad rush to catch a plane?)
    Watch
    Glasses
    Cell phone
    Homeopathic remedies
    Flashlight

Charging area,,,,(when staying at a place for several days and not wanting to wrap up the cords everyday to go into a 3 d cube)
    Holding all the cables and misc wall plug in's for phones, iPads, camera,

Bathroom,,,,, ( I use two here)
    I usually take a quarter packing cube for toiletries and each side gets dumped into a travel tray for easy access.

Then there is the misc TT,,,,
    for loose change, the days accumulated collections of what not from a day out before it all gets sorted or trashed.

Oh, and if I'm renting a car there's always one there that stays put for the duration for misc little stuff for the day.

Hmmm, yup I'm not done yet,,,,,
    I usually take drawing supplies when going on a trip, which includes watercolors and all the acutraments that go along with that task so they go into a TT while I'm working on a sketch as well.

Which reminds me, I better add one to my next order ( just in case )
    ;-)

I have an Iberian Travel Tray that I keep and use at home, and a Solar Travel Tray that I use when I travel.

It's such a simple bag/tray, and some may not find much use for it in their lives. But while my car keys, wallet, etc. used to be in one of 2-3 places, now they are always in ONE place.

When I'm in a hotel, it's also where my iPhone charging cable lives when I'm not using it -- readily accessible, but in its place and out of the way. And when I come back to my hotel room at the end of a work day, any change, receipts, or tickets I've picked up just get dumped straight into the Travel Tray. (I can sort that stuff and clean it in the morning when I'm fresh.)

Leaving things on a nightstand serves the same general purpose, but it gets messy, and small items can roll away or get left behind. Plus, since I stay in a lot of different hotels, the layout can change from trip to trip. But the bright Solar Travel Tray is always a beacon for all of my pocket items to be stored at the ready in one convenient place.

EDIT: I've never used the "bag" function of the Travel Tray, though I hear others rave about it here on the forums. I usually keep my Travel Tray folded flat in my main bag (Aeronaut or Tri-Star) when flying to my destination. It's worth mentioning that the Travel Tray compresses down nice and flat for packing, and upon arrival it expands to its normal tray shape like it had never been flattened -- amazing design!
    Last edited by BJ Nemeth; 01-15-2014 at 09:13 PM. Reason: Added One More Paragraph
    Darcy likes this.

I use the TT similar to others when in a hotel - EVERYTHING goes in it: pen, lip balm, handkerchief, wallet, receipts, iPhone and charger (when I pull that out of a pouch in my LCB.) But my favorite is using it in TSA security. I pull everything out of my pockets and put it in the TT. I cinch the bag closed and put it in the bin. On the other side, I grab-and-go, and reassemble after the security mishegoss. It truly is the "understated rock star!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0