Shop Tom Bihn
1-800-729-9607
emailus@tombihn.com
Tom Bihn Forums: Community discussion on travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. Tom Bihn has been designing and making bags since 1972. The best materials and innovative construction.

Synapse 19 or 25 for WDW Trip... Need help

Hello guys,
    Would anyone be kind enough to post pics with both bags on your back. I'm trying to have a sense of scale for them. I'm torn between the 19 and the 25. I'm 5-8" and a bit on the heavy side. I'm a bit concerned the Synapse 19 would be too small. Any help would be appreciated.

It's not clear what you'll be carrying in your Synapse - I've used the 19 as a day pack in WDW and found it to be more than adequate to carry water, snacks, camera, a cheap plastic poncho (a Florida must!), and whatever souvenirs I pick up along the way.

Thanks nukediver...
    It's more of a size issue. The monetary difference between the two I think is negligible ($10). But I am not sure because of my size either the 19 would look small, or the 25 would look too big. I'll probably never used it for a weekend bag (to carry everything around..) but I would like to use it for day hikes, for traveling in airports, and as an occasional replacement for my Tumi messenger.

Volunteer Moderator
    You could use either bag. The closest person to your height (5'8") who posts lots of pictures is maverick. He has both sizes of the Synapse. The problem is finding goog comparison photos with him wearing the bags (he usually takes pictures of the bags). I know there are some of him with the Synapse 19 from several years ago when the forums had a different organization, but it's hard to do a fast recovery (especially when I have to paste in links on an iOS device.). Here's one of him in the Traveling with a Synapse 25 and new Side Effect thread.

There are comparison pictures of these backpacks (and others) on Dorayme, who is 5'2" tall, in the Who says short people can't carry big bags thread. Understand that we don't usually get questions like this asking for bags shown on someone with a specific height in the mid range where either bag could easily be worn. For most of us, it's a question of how much we want to carry that determines which bag we want to get. And the Synapse, like many of Tom's bags, can carry way more than you'd expect for its size.

So, as a day back at WDW, I'd choose the Synapse 19, But if you want to carry more, which could include packing all your clothes and belongings for a short trip, you might prefer the Synapse 25.

OK, I'm adding links to the thread of maverick using his Synapse (19) at Walt Disney World. In some of the pictures he's carrying his son, so there are pictures of the Synapse 19 both in front and back. Also, I'll leave in the link to the first thread, which mostly discusses what they carried in each bag and shows relative sizes against airplane luggage sizers for personal carryons -- not so much pictures of him wearing the bag.

• Tom Bihn Aeronaut, Western Flyer, and Synapse Go to Disney World thread 1
    • Tom Bihn Aeronaut, Western Flyer, and Synapse Go to Disney World thread 2
    • Tom Bihn Aeronaut, Western Flyer, and Synapse Go to Disney World thread 3
    Last edited by moriond; 11-18-2013 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Added links with pictures of Synapse 19

Dear Momogadea,

I am exactly 5'8" and, as someone in the forum described herself, well-upholstered. I made a trip to the TB store with my BFF and tried on both the S19 and S25. My friend recommended the S25 both for purposes of having 6 extra liters of carry and for the aesthetics of proportion for my body. So I purchased the S25 and have been very happy with it. I use it as a personal carry-on, a main bag, or a carry-around-town bag as needed. In the latter case, it is rarely filled, but I don't care. It is still quite handsome and doesn't droop. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    The stockpile keeps growing...I'm in serious trouble.

Synapse 19 or 25 for WDW Trip... Need help

I'd agree with moriond here. I don't think the 19 would look like a kid pack on you, and for transporting just a few items, the 25 could be overkill. However, I'd also encourage you to think way beyond your WDW trip, since you will likely own this bag for a long while. If you foresee ever taking a casual overnight trip, or you carry stuff for your kids or want to have a place to stuff a coat, then perhaps the 25 would be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! Thanks to all for your replies..!!
    Special thanks to moriond and monkeylady for the pic links...

Seems like the 19 would do the job, but like Badger says, might want to think a little more into the future.
    If anyone has more pics of either the 19 or th 25 on their backs, they would be very welcome.

Thanks to all! I went with the 19. Just waiting for delivery...I'll post pics when I get it.

Excellent choice. You're going to love it. What color did you get?
    Moose
    Last edited by Moose; 11-30-2013 at 05:09 PM.
    List exceeds allowed characters. So I'll just say I'm plum and kiwi loving FOT!

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0